Best way to train your proficiency

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi folks. I'm just wondering what is the best way to increase your proficiency ?
Because It's quite slow to just fight in the battles and spend so much time to increase specific proficiency.

Thanks in advance.

The only other way, as far as I know, is by putting points into the Weapon Master trait so you can raise your proficiency using proficiency points.

Apart from level-ups, it's all about dealing damage.  Find poorly armored targets and whak them hard. 
Polearm is the easiest to raise since you can deal couched damage.  The rest of the melee are helped with the speed bonus when riding.

Melee weapons can also get some stats at the training grounds when you fight opponents, but you can't increase ranged WP since it's done against fixed targets.

Cero said:
The only other way, as far as I know, is by putting points into the Weapon Master trait so you can raise your proficiency using proficiency points.

Oh, I never thought that It does more than just give you some unlocks in amount terms.
Thats gonna help me out no end :grin:.

Filou said:
Apart from level-ups, it's all about dealing damage.  Find poorly armored targets and whak them hard. 
Polearm is the easiest to raise since you can deal couched damage.  The rest of the melee are helped with the speed bonus when riding.

Melee weapons can also get some stats at the training grounds when you fight opponents, but you can't increase ranged WP since it's done against fixed targets.

Hmm, I usually like to use bows and crossbows and considering I have advanced pretty much in the game (Perisno mod) and I now fight against more powerfull things than bandits as lords and some mercenary bands so there is not anymore much low level targets but I could still make pretty good shots and get some proficiency points with good aim I think.

Thanks and keep posting the replies because they are really helpfull :smile:.

Greetings.

For ranged weapons shot difficulty is the most important aspect, but the game does not know too well which shot is difficult and which is not. 

Anyway, if you raise your Weapon Mastery skill increases the amount of prof. points you get for every hit.  The exact amount must depend on how far from your cap you are, and the closer you are the less points you will get (and the other way around, once you passed the cap).

When I played archers I invested points in horse archery and farmed proficiencies during field battles by shooting into a group of enemies at full gallop.  The game thinks it's hard, so you get more points.  With crossbows I find a fortress early where I can shoot from close range and hope to hit something, then I purposefully farm this very place. 

I mean, I would personally shoot down 90% of defending crew.  I retreat every time I run out of bolts and start the siege again.  Thanks to that I managed to pump my profs above 200 early in the game despite having only 2 points in Weapon Mastery.

Sounds like it's good to put my points for now on to horse archery, or thoe it's not very usefull if you have less than five ? But I think I can get some books to give me some more skill points and such if indeed needed but nice to also know more about weapon master skill, new infromation is always good to know and have.

Greetings.

You can get one extra point into Weapon Master by reading a book.

Anyway, while the real reason why I used to always play horse archers was plain and simply fun factor, it's not the only thing they are good at.  You can skirmish in field battles.  With some aggro gathering you can truly influence their outcome.  Just never ride straight at the enemy.  Ride at a wide angle at full speed, so they miss behind you.  I also prefer to use fast and maneuverable horses.  Maneuverability influences your acceleration, not just turning speed, so you get stuck less by better avoidance and start running faster after you do get stuck too.

i still the think the best way early is arena wth high weapons mastery, another way is to play a heavy killer, ie walk in and lay into lightly armed enemies with as much armour, health and powerstrike if you have decent weapon mastery and/or low proficienies youl rank your weapon quickly and be a bit op

bakters said:
You can get one extra point into Weapon Master by reading a book.

Anyway, while the real reason why I used to always play horse archers was plain and simply fun factor, it's not the only thing they are good at.  You can skirmish in field battles.  With some aggro gathering you can truly influence their outcome.  Just never ride straight at the enemy.  Ride at a wide angle at full speed, so they miss behind you.  I also prefer to use fast and maneuverable horses.  Maneuverability influences your acceleration, not just turning speed, so you get stuck less by better avoidance and start running faster after you do get stuck too.

Nice strategy, thoe it's gonna hurt if enemy has some more skillfull archers/crossbow mans/womans. And I actually switched to POP for now on because it's just amazing mod, even thoe I really miss the old times when I was like playing the game like no end :smile:.
I think I actually played the game for 2-3 years and then I started to play other things and focus on something else, but now I'm running off topic :smile:.

Gwynnerz said:
i still the think the best way early is arena wth high weapons mastery, another way is to play a heavy killer, ie walk in and lay into lightly armed enemies with as much armour, health and powerstrike if you have decent weapon mastery and/or low proficienies youl rank your weapon quickly and be a bit op

Yeah, and yes you can get pretty good points from arena I must admit but It's not very entertaining to just fight every tournament and arena fights = big time loss.
But I think It's good to spend your points in early game with high weapon mastery rather than just spend your points randomly around the game, what I use to do :smile:.

And one think I actually would like to ask, that is it faster to practise on training field than in the actual battlefield ?

Thanks and Greetings.

Knight of calradia said:
Nice strategy, thoe it's gonna hurt if enemy has some more skillfull archers/crossbow mans/womans. And I actually switched to POP for now on because it's just amazing mod,
  I used to play With Fire and Sword before Warband, and that's where I first started using this approach.  I also used to mod Warband to make arrows faster than bolts (which they were in reality) and it all worked fine.

I also used the same approach early in PoP when I was trying things out.  I definitely could solo their version of sea raiders, although it was more difficult there, mostly because horses you could get were slow.
And one think I actually would like to ask, that is it faster to practise on training field than in the actual battlefield ?
No.  Damage matters, and with training weapons you don't deal much damage at all.  Get a good weapon and kill easy enemies, as people already suggested.

Well thank you. Ps: I'm moder, scripter and scener too and I would like to even learn how to make weapons and armors with programs. But good night and sleep well :smile:.......
And one thing: There is horses in POP which has 50 in speed terms :smile: (slow...).
And (if you would rap this message it would mix :smile:)

Good night and sleep well and greetings.

Good morning. :wink:

One clarification.  I'm not really a modder.  I used a tool somebody mentioned here (Morghs editor, I think) to change the game.  I don't want to claim skills I don't have.  Anyway, as far as I remember the horses you could get in the early game of PoP were significantly slower than in native. 

Alfredthegreat said:
in floris mod pack there is a thing which if you kill a guy, you get a 1 weapon proficiency point becuse of your intellegences and some xp

Yeah, thats cool feature what they have added and I think it aslo depends from your level as first you get 1 proficiency point from low levels and after some level ups you don't get any points and similar for high levels but just more points.

bakters said:
Good morning. :wink:

One clarification.  I'm not really a modder.  I used a tool somebody mentioned here (Morghs editor, I think) to change the game.  I don't want to claim skills I don't have.  Anyway, as far as I remember the horses you could get in the early game of PoP were significantly slower than in native. 

Good morning too :smile:. And actually your idea was brilliant!
And actually that could be written with module system that your (power draw/strenght attribute) skill increases your arrow speed because it mostly depends of your power when you draw the bow.

And could you people comment which one: Strenght or power draw would increase your arrow speed ?.

Greetings.

I'd say that it should be power draw. 

But if you ask me, I was never a fan of power strike and power draw skills.  They are not necessary.  I rather think that simple strength requirements should be all that you need to use a bow, similar to any other weapon in the game, and your damage should probably grow with increase in Archery weapon proficiency.  That makes much more sense to me.

Besides that, I do think that the speed of shooting and reloading should depend on both your strength and weapon profs. both for bows and crossbows. 

But those are invasive changes which *will* imbalance the game.  IOW careful testing and rebalancing is an absolute requirement if one has hopes of actually improving Native.

Yeah, I got your point. There should be only one skill for power draw/strike/throw and much more other skills ?
And the second skill what I have actually planned for quite some time is Accuracy.
Accuracy would improve your aim accuracy and be able to hit Several targets and make Critical hits on their targets.

Heh I hope you aren't too stunned from my colors :smile:.

Greetings and good evening.

Generally it makes sense to make accuracy a skill, but again it would change the game quit heavily.  About hitting several targets, I'm not to thrilled about it.  Maybe I don't understand the idea?  I definitely don't understand them colors...

I know what several means.  What I don't know is how you are supposed to hit several targets.  You assume that an arrow will go through the guy and hit another one behind him? 

If so, I don't like this idea very much.  Medieval war arrows were seriously thick and they lost pretty much all their energy while going through the target.  You just couldn't do much damage afterwards.

Contemporary hunting arrows can go through the elephant in some extreme cases, but they are marvels of technology not available in Calradia.

Back
Top Bottom