SP - General [BEST OF your Suggestions] Tournaments

Users who are viewing this thread

I made a compilation of the best suggestions I've found about tournaments & Arena:

• Give the exp of the arena & tournaments back Gattare IMPLEMENTED in e1.0.6
  • Tournaments are too easy (Just free gear most of the time) FrozenArthas
  • Tournaments are way too common, they lose their "appeal" Zyakan
  • Tournaments are not worth the effort, the rewards are very low when compared to other activities Tan Kuzey
  • Implementing more actions to do in the town After a tournament ( feasts, access to the keep) FrozenArthas
  • Make notable wanting to meet you after you have won a tournament FrozenArthas
  • Tournament tiers. How much you can bet should escalate with each tier. willholton1
  • Different types of tournaments, example Bow tournaments in Battania cities Nikks
  • Tournament "Champions", popular in the city, that people scream the name of.you get a lot of attention for beating him/her. (And then you get attacked in a street by his friends for humiliating him...) Nikks
  • More Cinematic tournaments, contextual animations and camera movements, music and maybe a match commentary in important tournaments! Nikks
    Topic updated 05/04/2020
  • If companions win, the reward or part of the reward should go to the clan willholton
    and we would have a good reason to watch the fights
  • Harder tournaments, but second and third prizes DeZako
  • Ability to bet on someone else to win if you watch the tournament DeZako
    and you can earn something even if you are not skilled enough or if you are too low HP to participate, a good idea from DeZako)
  • "unofficial" tournaments in taverns or anywhere else, boxing fights Kangamangus
    (Gives a good reason to actually use the fists.BUFFbeard )
  • Remove using polearms and shield vs polearms and shield (on foot) in tournaments, it’s awful. (or add sword in inventory) willholton1
  • The Option to buy an arena and make your own tournaments where you give out the price, let my vassals fight for a castle! Cherrox
  • Be able to duel other lords over disputes, property or bragging rights.Cherrox

(This thread will be updated , each time I find a good suggestions)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this !
Tournaments are also way too common (it goes with the "too easy" part. There is too many tournaments with not enough fighters). I encounter a tournament about 50 or 60% of the times I want to do practice fight.

Yeah right now Tournaments are very underwhelming and even in the OG Mount and Blade they needed help from modders. I am pretty damned surprised to see that they still have not learned anything from all this time about how best to implement it. All we got is a leader board. The renown gain is too low, I get more from slapping a bandit hideout. The gear is... alright, still nothing fantastic and of course they still have the same 300 denars cap that is straight from ye olde M&B.

This may be Sturgian tournaments only, but the spear + shield outfit needs to include a smaller shield. It becomes very annoying to try your best to poke each other for 10 minutes, especially if you both have good armor. Takes far too long.

Further, the leaderboard seems broken as is? It doesn't seem to be calculating victories correctly (always 1?). What is victories versus prize, anyways?

Last edited:
Tournament tiers. How much you can bet should escalate with each tier.

First tier tournaments should be open to all and have no less than Tier 2 (or 3) troops in it.

Second tier tournaments should require a certain amount of renown, or a tier 1 tournament win, and should be tier 4+ troops. Maybe require an entry fee at this point.

Third tier should definitely require an entry fee, which contributes to a pot reward at the end (on top of whatever other reward), and be highest level troops and named NPCs only.

Companions should be able to join based on their own personal skills and if they win the reward should go to the clan. If it is an entry fee tournament, perhaps have to opt to pay their way in.

Add tournaments where you get to choose your outfit (point based, similar to multiplayer). Add tournaments where you get a standard set of gear, vs tournaments where you bring your own.

Tournament tiers. How much you can bet should escalate with each tier.

First tier tournaments should be open to all and have no less than Tier 2 (or 3) troops in it.

Second tier tournaments should require a certain amount of renown, or a tier 1 tournament win, and should be tier 4+ troops. Maybe require an entry fee at this point.

Third tier should definitely require an entry fee, which contributes to a pot reward at the end (on top of whatever other reward), and be highest level troops and named NPCs only.

Companions should be able to join based on their own personal skills and if they win the reward should go to the clan. If it is an entry fee tournament, perhaps have to opt to pay their way in.
+1

Winner of the low tier could gain access to the upper tier in this particular tournament.

Some strings I found in the XML:

<string id="str_fighting_menu_text" text="{=MWGATOoz}The tournament will be a melee group fight." />
<string id="str_jousting_menu_text" text="{=FRepQsmO}The tournament will be a joust." />
<string id="str_horse_race_menu_text" text="{=IwpFM2CJ}The tournament will be a horse race." />
<string id="str_archery_menu_text" text="{=zNHtgL0S}The tournament will be an archery contest." />
<string id="str_tournament_joust_you_hit_opponents_horse" text="{=5SQaiYXi}FOUL! No hitting your opponent's horse. You have been disqualified!" />
<string id="str_tournament_joust_opponent_hit_your_horse" text="{=BsdOl4He}FOUL! Your opponent hit your horse. {?OPPONENT_GENDER}He{?}She{\?} has been disqualified!" />
<string id="str_tournament_joust_you_gain_point" text="{=GYhHacVk}You gained 1 point for the hit!" />
<string id="str_tournament_joust_opponent_gain_point" text="{=wjuieMsE}Your opponent gained 1 point for the hit!" />
<string id="str_tournament_joust_you_disqualified" text="{=a10WGnBr}FOUL! No fighting outside of the joust. You have been disqualified!" />
<string id="str_tournament_joust_opponent_disqualified" text="{=02E0oSJm}FOUL! Your opponent was fighting outside the joust. {?OPPONENT_GENDER}He{?}She{\?} has been disqualified!" />

Feasts, relations increase to local town and local lords, tournament dedications and being able to give orders to team.

Great suggestions.
I would really like to see the ability to command my teammates on tournaments. 90% of the time there's no need to give out orders since the battles flow easily enough and player can have their own impact and most of the time win the battle by their own contribution. BUT the problem comes when the tournament has those 2v2 brackets. The 2v2 bracket itself ain't the problem but when it happens to be the melee one it's almost guaranteed defeat to the player. My teammate which as far as my experience ( every tournament i have done so far ) has 90-130 athletics compared to my 20. So what ends up happening is that my teammate runs straight to the and gets slaughtered almost instantly due to situation being 1v2 and i can't even reach him in time because hes literally twice as fast as me. Obviously this results that the player is now facing two opponents alone which is guaranteed death unless you are wearing best of the best armor in which point tournaments are not even worth doing anymore.

TL;DR: Give us ability to issue orders in tournaments to stop 2v2 melee brackets being fusterclucks against the player.

I'd also like to add the bareknuckle fighting and jousting posts .Can you search for them and put and put them in the list?

Tournaments (or at least Grand Tournaments), like in Warband, should only be held when the lord of the castle/town is in. Lords and Ladies should gather to give you a chance to mingle.
You should also be able to dedicate a victory to someone, for a renown/influence boost to them and a big relationship boost

Apart from the already great suggestions, I think tournaments could be this common but there should be different importance/size tournaments

For example, the current tournaments with potato rewards should be low tier tournaments with not many rounds and bets won't award as much, then there should be the mid tier tournament, better rewards and bets, but harder opponents and extra rounds.

Then there should be the high tier tournaments, you need X renown to participate, like 250/300, same a mid tournaments but even harder opponents with better rewards.

To top it all of there should be Grand Tournaments, you need to have won 3 high tier tournaments or have 500 renown, a lot of rounds but the tournament takes 3 days to compensate, rewards here should be best of the best as this tournaments should be very rare and hard to access, since it's a grand tournament we should get a quest if we talk to the tournament master to keep tabs when the next grand tournament is happening and where.

I thought about 7 situations in case you win a tournament against a champion

1. The champion and everyone congratulates you
2. The champion is impressed and wants to join your clan
3. After the tournament, someone comes to congrats you and tells you to join him to a feast in your honor, you follow him but it's a trap. They try to kill you or just threaten you.
4. You are attacked in the streets by the gang the champion is in
5. The champion tells you that it is he's job and he needs it to survive. if you win against him again you put his family and himself in financial danger. winning against him again and you lose honor unless you give him money.
6. you sleep in the city and during your sleep you attacked by an assassin hired by the champion
7. you are invited by the campion for a drink, he offers you a lot of money is you lose willingly in a public duel.

Last edited:
Right? I'd love to have this. I'd also like to see underground bareknuckle boxing fights at taverns or anywhere else shady stuff happens.
+1
Gives a good reason to actually use the fists.
...and the ability to gamble on them!
To add variety and get some cool new features, some kind of special tournaments could be added. I've been thinking that it would be very cool to have jousting, two armored knights with a couch lance in a one attack - kill or be killed (or maybe dismounted and finish the duel on foot).

I feel this kind of tournament appropriate for some kingdoms like Vlandia and the Empire.

It would be great to have specific event types (in addition to standard tournaments) linked to the type of culture.

I'm missing also some kind of shooting range contest, it could be popular in Vlandia and Khuzait with long bows and recurve bows (maybe mounted), maybe Sturgia could have a throwing axe contest, Batania a bare handed brawl, you know, add some spice with not so much work.

Tournaments are great but now you have the same offering everywhere. This Special tournaments could be less frequent but with better rewards (two items, loads of beer, money, extra renown)

Maybe it is a good idea to add a renown requirement or some kind of sponsorship based in the relations you have acheived with the local landlords or important characters. For example to be able to enter a knight joust you need to be friend of an important character in the kingdom/town/village you select your sponsoring character and the outcome of the tournament could have an effect in the relations with that character, if you are eliminated in an early round your relation could suffer but if you win it could bump it.
I think it would be great if they added the game chariot races and we could even bet on them

Back
Top Bottom