Best Mercenary Companies

Users who are viewing this thread

They are not cost effective troops except Singalians. But singalians are weak troops, so the only reason to hire mercs in these quests - you just need any men right here and right now to fight.

sher said:
They are not cost effective troops except Singalians. But singalians are weak troops, so the only reason to hire mercs in these quests - you just need any men right here and right now to fight.

They are very cost effective. 50s Jatu Merc Riders, 70s Jatu Raiders, and 3 Jatu Warlords for 12k is ridiculously cheap so you are completely wrong. You can reload to get better troops or different kinds of troops. The only possible negative is that Jatu Merc Riders have a very high weekly pay but if you use them up quickly it doesn't matter.
You basically get the merc riders for less than 200 denars each.

I'm talking about the real companies, not random heartbeat ones that fill my garrisons.

From the first post: "I've been able to hire Kodan Ironsword"

Isn't he one a leader of a large merc group that AI kings can get and we can't?

Their upkeep is higher than upkeep for the regular troops and these regular troops are of better quality. Huscarls are better than any melee merc fighters. Empire Armored Crossbowmen are the best crossbowmen. Mittenheim infantry is cost effective for their quality but it is mediocre infantry. If you have enough regular troops the only reason to hire mercs - to use them as cannon fodder to clear some large armies and to disband the remains before you have to pay them their upkeep.

Lord Commander Snow said:
So they took out the ability to hire large groups of mercs because it wasn't cost effective? But it's cost effective for other lords?

Well, I was never able to hire merc company with hero leader, I do not know how it can be done. They are unique spawns to get blue cabbage. And it is a very good source of gems as they can be weakened in monarch fights and you can easily finish them off with only -4 loss of faction relation. And you can locate them easily. In previous versions they were free spawns now they only follow monarchs. And I don't know why but Sheik Shalivan (or something :smile:) was just defeated by me: no imprisonment and no escaping - simply nothing :sad:

Well in my game there are a couple 400man mettenheim armies wandering around Fierdsvein land.  I would gladly pay 100k or more to get one to join me.  :sad:  Those infantry are just beasts.

Ive started my own kingdom and am in great need of mercs :smile: ive only had one merc company ask me to pay them and it was when I was a vassal to the dshar and i d=turned them down since there was no need for them but theyve got 1500+ troops and are wandering around seven cross keep now and wont leave :smile:

Because PoP´s work in progress and the nice feature of enabling KINGS to hire MERCENARY COMPANIES was magically develloped by Mad Vader, highly appreciated, quickly introduced and tested and thus taken off the player´s payroll.

The PC´s usually strong enough as it is and the AI needs all the poor help she can get. Royals are royals. The PC is common as muck, wether he´s a Rogue King or Mercenary Captain. He´s too insignificant to attract the real established Mercenary Companies. And he´s got more than enough new mercenaries to chose from - all the minor factions are out there to be hired in the various heartbeat quests so in short:

The Mercenary hirement system was changed becaused of good old gamebalance and the nice and happy thought of disabling the player to acquire everything shiny, gleamy or glittering on the map.

noosers said:
The PC is common as muck, wether he´s a Rogue King or Mercenary Captain. He´s too insignificant to attract the real established Mercenary Companies. And he´s got more than enough new mercenaries to chose from - all the minor factions are out there to be hired in the various heartbeat quests so in short:
That shouldn't matter. Mercenaries care only for money. They will fight for whoever pays the most.

Chiksika said:
Notice they are also very expensive to hire, the same as Hero Adventurers, 131 per week.

Your Hero Adventurers are 131 per week? Mine are 227 per week (7 leadership). Why are mine so much more expensive?

EDIT: nm, i notice the post is like a year old... Why is this thread so high in the list then?

Back
Top Bottom