Best jatu Killing army

Users who are viewing this thread

dowdpride

Sergeant at Arms
in the quest which you get to go kill the jatu warband for the noldor, i have tried using a huge swarm of high tier empire and sarleon halberds and empire x-bows with sarleon and ravenstern archers, and the best i ever got was 100 kills out of 150. i have yet to beat them. what in your guys opinion is the best army composition in which to do this succesfully with the smallest amount of casualties?

any infantry in a river.  seriously plant in a river and you can wreck spawns.

if i had to go dream composition i would say halberdiers matched with blademasters planted in a river with a cliff lined with gauntlets above.

I actually find that an all D'Shar cavalry army tends to destroy them pretty quickly. I usually end up losing half my army this way, but it still works!

Same way you cheese any Jatu
1. Lure them to follow you into an enemy land.
2. Start raiding one of their villages while the Jatu are still after you.
3. Jatu finally catch you right after you start raiding.
4. Villagers join the battle on Jatu Army's side.
5. Battle begins with jatu  :shock: because none of them have a horse
I found good infantry and archers win the day here especially if you have enough to black out they sky.

Lord Rugdump said:
I found good infantry and archers win the day here especially if you have enough to black out they sky.
Well first, with this tactic you dont get any prisoners or loot.

My question is, Using this tactic, Do you still get the achievement awards?(for killing the regular jatu army)

Lord Rugdump said:

Ah, sneaky, me likey :grin:

I just get about 50-60 high level, shielded infantry, put them very close and watch jatu crash on them; a combination of huscarls, bladesmen and halberdiers is very effective.. Of course they need to be complemented with a line of archers, preferably RavRanges.

It is the first wave, lancers that really make the kills, raiders are nuisance mostly. Though I agree it is still a very hard battle. Not as hard as your first Noldor tournament though.  :smile:

Lord Rugdump said:
:shock:
I had never though of that.
Trying it out  :lol:

Othienka said:
Lord Rugdump said:
:shock:
I had never though of that.
Trying it out  :lol:
Don't bother: that particular spawn DOES NOT FOLLOW YOU OR ANYONE ELSE.
I tested it conclusively. They care for no one, not even the Noldor.

How I killed them by day 100: max-massed empire xbows (probably not the best choice, I could see halberdiers being far superior) on a hill (yes, there are hills in there, just catch them on any slope and you'll see) while I rode out to work my best red-shirt defense, distracting 80% of their attacking force. In 6 separate battles I finally killed them off and lost around 270 troops to kill their 200. It wasn't pretty but I wanted to get to Elacari ASAP.

You get them up in the Mountains, like, SERIOUSLY rough terrain style mountains, then a strong archer army (LikeNoldor...) will just plain destroy them.  I had a group of 150 (50ish Noldor, 100 of my troops, mostly Barclay Sappers and Infantry) just plain demolish a noldor force of 500.

The raiding village trick to force large cavalry armies to dismount is one of the oldest books in the trick, though I´m not sure wether or not MV took out that part of the code with disabled horses for foes in a village raiding scene.

Curse the bloody Jatu! Kill them all! No quarter, no mercy. Damn Jatu.

noosers said:
The raiding village trick to force large cavalry armies to dismount is one of the oldest books in the trick, though I´m not sure wether or not MV took out that part of the code with disabled horses for foes in a village raiding scene.
The coding is still there.

I usually go with my usual 2/3rd cav. 1/3 archer armies because it is too tiresome just to form a special army for the Jatu and this force does about as well anyway.  The trick is to charge the Jatu before they charge you.  You can go out in front and lure some of the Jatu away, allowing your cav to get them from behind.  But it really doesn't matter, just get all cav and issue the charge command immediately.  The front line cav troops might get hit but they will also hit Jatu and the horses from the dead soldiers stop the rest of the Jatu in their tracks, just as if you had a shield wall.  This works just as well as any other strategy I've tried, you'll still lose a good number of troops, but you can win. 

The problem with infantry is that the Jatu ride around and are able to charge again.  Infantry is only effective against cav if clustered, forcing cav to slow which is hard to do since your troops will try and chase fleeing Jatu and then get hit from another Jatu coming from another direction.  The difficulty of the Jatu shows the superiority of cav.

I use 100% armored xbows, or I suppose ebony gauntlet would be a good way to go.  If you want to "cheese" them, even better.  A Jatu without a horse is like an archer without a bow.

Well I just completed the quest to destroy the Jatu "Army".  I was glad to see that this "army" was only 150 or so troops, I was expecting a real army of 500+.  At this stage of my game, I am able to command over 300 troops myself and so I took 100+ Knights of the Dawn which had been pumped up 4 times, 30 Knights of the Falcon which had also been pumped up 4 times, 10 Knights of the Lion and 30 Knights of the Clarion Call which had not been pumped up.  I also had 50 Ravenstern Mounted Rangers 40 various Rogue Knights and 80 Pendor Mtd. Man-At-Arms and the rest D'Shar Bladesman.  The fight was fairly easy, especially after the first battle.  I had expected a much larger force and so I used my very best troops available.

I think fights against "real" Jatu Armies of 500+ are tough because they have more high quality troops like Warlords and because of the battle advantage they will get from having more troops.  The quest that was given is by no means too hard or impossible, perhaps you are just too early in the game.  You should be able to wipe the floor with honor troops even if you only can command 200.  By being able to command 300 troops, I think I could have won the battle even with no honor troops, using just some Mounted Rangers and the rest Pendor Mtd. Man-at-Arms.  The battle advantage is really a factor, even if it's only +- 5 or 6.  More troops mean that some are able to gang up and hit enemies from behind, making more kills that add up over time.

Back
Top Bottom