Best-dressed Warrior

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah- the one major thing that's useful about the Tapestry is the frequent instances of bordering maille with a band of other fabric to show an 'edge'- the drawn facsimilie above shows the 'line' clearly visible at the top of the shin on one of the knight's chausses, demonstrating that in one case at least, it stops at the knee.
They're essentially 'outdated' compared to the rest of my gear. Though the Villard D'Honnecourt image shows they remained in use for what would seem to be relatively light gear, though it could also be showing some upper-thigh armour worn OVER full chausses; thigh cuisses were known but it would be their first major depiction (after the one blink and you'll miss it instance in the Triumph of Virtues over Vices in a German manuscript) in Western art, and without any of the usual 'padded' image indicators.

They're a halfway compromise between full chausses and not wearing any leg armour on foot (which some people still insist on)- I'd argue that the fully enclosed foot is a better virtue if you're mounted (they stick out at infantry strike-height!) but far less important on foot (putting a shot way down there is possible, but difficult).

Blackthorn said:
P.S.- Research
220px-Westminster_Knight.jpg
and
Villard_de_Honnecourt.jpg
Note the 'extra' half legs on the mid 13thC figure, and the half-chausses on the right-hand early 13thC figure. Want ketchup with your words? :razz: I do plan to have a set of fulls as well, but that's a project for another day...

They both look like cuisses....http://therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1027.html

It is hard to tell if the one on the right's is just a band on the leg or if the upper part of the maille that looks like it could be part of the leg chausses is actually just the bottom part of the haubergon...which the latter is my guess.

Other than the other one would require it to be maille cuisses... and the other cuisses have no padding marked on them...
The one I'm talking about (Eustace's) clearly has one band at the bottom of his maille, and ANOTHER at the top of his chausse.

Small point though; I HAD already mentioned cuisses in the post below the one you quoted. Thread-read and all that jazz. :wink:

Glad this thread is back on top. :grin:

Napoleonic Hessian Chevauxlegers:
(Plate is by the old Knötel)

I can't believe that google-ing "Hessian Chevauxleger" at Google Images gives none of the great paintings & drawings made of them. And of course, their awesome uniforms.

EDIT:
Oh! Oh! Oh guys, look at these guys! Cuirasses under sed coats! Hilted Broadswords! :grin:
(Just found these at the Knötel site)

DanAngleland said:
AWdeV said:
The second guy has two left feet.

Surely two right feet? The right foot has its largest toe on the left of the foot, as it does in real life, and I think the left foot has it in the same position.

Left from my point of view. :razz: But yeah, you're right (not left). Minor brainfart on my end.

Back
Top Bottom