Best-dressed Warrior

Users who are viewing this thread

Bah, plate armour and particulary joust armour will never look as great as good old chainmails ! The second sure is flashy but what a bad taste to add all those painted drawing on this great armour would be better without, who did sure a terrible thing ?

2210000983_c4ede33dbc_b.jpg

Tibetan armour from the XVIIIth-XIXth century, like what chainmails never go out of fashion !

On the Gladiator do they still count as best dressed warrior ? Didn't knew that being in her birthday suit counted as dressed  :razz:
jacobhinds said:
Daughters of Mars DLC pack
:lol: x2

With a few exceptions i way prefer chainmail or lamellar hybrids to plate, especially the indian and ottoman varieties in the gunpowder empires era. Having the entire body hidden behind metal is just boring to look at, especially when you're talking about one of the most colourful periods in history (c.1400-1750)

Flashy, excessively elaborate plate is in my opinion indeed less good looking than its single colour counterparts, but overall I cannot agree, while chainmail always looks pleasant, it's got nothing on plate splendour. :razz:

1627FrenchCuirassierArmorMet01.jpg

Ottoman sipahis on the other hand are about as grandiose as a man in full plate. That just looks grand.

06da5bfd74a6d3f1d7e22b42fa2b09d1.jpg

YourStepDad said:
Flashy, excessively elaborate plate is in my opinion indeed less good looking than its single colour counterparts, but overall I cannot agree, while chainmail always looks pleasant, it's got nothing on plate splendour. :razz:

I actually meant that full and half plate looks really out of place during a time when frills and outrageous colours appear in euro-clothing, and elaborate patterns start cropping up in general. Even breastplates in the 1700s were a bit weird in my opinion.

PoisonCourtesan said:
That helmet on the left... eww.

Also those women don't seem to be dressed as warriors, but as something less dignified.

Let's fix that, shall we?
tumblr_n0yb3syZEo1qkoeepo1_500.png
tumblr_n71hbjrxG01s1cpvio1_1280.jpg
tatiuniform.jpg

Kudos to Graf_Radetzky for pointing out these photos to me some time ago.

Captured Joe said:
PoisonCourtesan said:
That helmet on the left... eww.

Also those women don't seem to be dressed as warriors, but as something less dignified.
They are arena combatants. Male or female(especially females) usually fought semi-naked so the crowds could enjoy a lot of gore.
That's why you see gigantic protective helmets in most gladiator types. So a hit to the head wouldn't end the fight early.

Captured Joe said:
tumblr_n0yb3syZEo1qkoeepo1_500.png
tumblr_n71hbjrxG01s1cpvio1_1280.jpg
tatiuniform.jpg
These didn't even see combat.

PoisonCourtesan said:
They are arena combatants. Male or female(especially females) usually fought semi-naked so the crowds could enjoy a lot of gore.
...and bewbs.

PoisonCourtesan said:
These didn't even see combat.
Neither did those gladriatrices in that photograph (or did the Romans have photo cameras?)... but if you insist:
646x404.jpg

rapier17 said:
Shell+shocked+soldier,+1916.jpg

.......Uh, I hope they kept any lethal objects far away from him. No offence.

Seriously, he kind of freaks me out.

Back
Top Bottom