Best-dressed Warrior

Users who are viewing this thread

...if your opponent just stood square on to you, static and with his weapon and shield held away from his chest, then yes it probably would be easy. It's not easy when people are moving around and fighting.

I see a point with the stabbing thing. Even when you do not hit the actual gap, chances are the blade will slide into it, no?
Especially with the "target" moving around.
And then getting the tip broke off or not, the blade is in there and that's what counts.

Also, having vertical metal rods strapped to your torso like that... dunno, wouldn't that limit your ability to move/bend/lean quite a bit? More-so than "traditional" armour types of the era?
I mean even when the reconstruction is correct, it's not automatically said that it wasn't some ceremonial thing instead of actual combat gear either.

Yeah, most armour plates tend to be slightly convex because you can protect better from blows when you disperse impact, that, plus the /\ shape of most pointed weapons strikes me a very prone to sliding and hitting the rather large exposed parts. Heck, that's not even taking arrows in account, or spears. I don't think it would impair more than a cuirass would, and if worn over mail it would be probably a good addition to armour, but over cloth makes it look stupid.

In all fairness it does somewhat resemble some of the stuff you see the Rus wearing in the following centuries, and those long splints on the front probably wouldn't be too restricting if they were allowed to hang fairly loosely at the bottom. But yeah, it does look a bit too much like unfinished lamellar to be practical.

Once, I fell and hurt my spine and the doctors gave me to wear a thing pretty close to this armour, with the vertical pieces, I mean. Now, that was from leather, and I understand it was tight and immovable for a purpose, but if we can imagine this on metal and even less tight, still it is pretty restrictive. I could strafe left and right with no problem, but when I was tying to bend, even a very little, that pieces prevented me from doing so.
I cannot say about how easy it is to stab, though.

Also, can I ask if the following is true? Did indeed the 9th-10th century Scandinavians, A.K.A. Vikings prefer to chop, even with a sword, rather than stab with it? Thanks.

And to be on-topic, those Rus lamallars were indeed exquisite.

cdfe433d4f08e6d1bf98e1d22f5279e8.jpg
news8.jpg

viking.jpg

You still have to remember that while discrediting armours for protecting only from awfully specific type of weapon, the dude wearing it back then was more like "welp, at least that's better than nothing" then "oh my, if someone stab me I'm toasted".

Eктωρ said:
You're underestimating how fast a person can stab.
That doesn't actually counter my point in any way, shape or form*. Or does being quick at stabbing suddenly mean you're going to find it easier to pop the tip of a blade angled just right between those small gaps on a target that has a weapon and shield, is no doubt in a fighting stance which angles their torso away from you and is moving around? Because, frankly, it appears you're underestimating the constant flow of movement in combat and there is a lot of movement involved.

I'm not saying the armour is great, or that it will stop/prevent thrusts getting through and certainly if you're lucky and the blade does slide between one of the gaps you may be able to exploit that, but it's not going to be so easy to find those gaps reliably whilst in the midst of a hacking, slashing, thrusting, stabbing, heaving, shoving melee.

*Don't worry, I'm fully aware of how quickly a blade can be thrust at an opponent, notably when it's a light, balanced thrusting weapon such as the rapier or a short tool such as a seax. I've been a Saxon reenactor, I'm a c17th pikeman now for reenactment and I used to be a rapier fencer with the Sussex Rapier Society (Sussex Sword Academy, also formerly refered to as Sussex Rapier School).

What are those ice cream sticks the guy on the left has on his chest? I mean, I get that that it's hot and soldiers need refreshment, but come on, even a child knows ice cream melts.

Untitled. said:
What are those ice cream sticks the guy on the left has on his chest? I mean, I get that that it's hot and soldiers need refreshment, but come on, even a child knows ice cream melts.
They're glo-sticks for when they have a rave as they're flying back to base. Special Forces massive and all that.

Ah, of course. As conscripts, we were berated very much for when we turned one bedroom into a brothel with massive use of glowsticks and nude males. Makes sense that it's special forces-only.

Untitled. said:
like rapier said, those are flares and glow sticks to mark positions, wether for a supply drop, medevac etc etc

Wellenbrecher said:
Is that the new NYPD traffic police equipment for 2015? :eek:
those are iraqi special forces and the only iraqi troops that  are able to push back isil in iraq, besides the kurdish

Probably like the only force where the U.S. training even began to sink in. Not sure what's up with that uniform though, it's ****ing silly. Black is beyond useless for all the terrain and conditions they'll be fighting in, and why on earth would you have entirely black equipment and then that bright olive vest?

I won't get into ridiculous rifles they're carrying. At least one of them actually has two flashlights on his.

General von Hiller said:
note: dog tag on their boots for whatever reason

It's mostly a troop tradition and to look awesome. Usually falsely interpreted as: "When you step on an EYE EE DEE your boots is the only thing left and they can identify your corpse!"
Easier just to write your name on all items of clothing with a waterproof pen.

General von Hiller said:
Wellenbrecher said:
Is that the new NYPD traffic police equipment for 2015? :eek:
those are iraqi special forces and the only iraqi troops that  are able to push back isil in iraq, besides the kurdish
So it's the NYPD traffic copper equipment collection for 2016 then? Geez, my bad :roll:

Austupaio said:
Probably like the only force where the U.S. training even began to sink in. Not sure what's up with that uniform though, it's ******** silly. Black is beyond useless for all the terrain and conditions they'll be fighting in, and why on earth would you have entirely black equipment and then that bright olive vest?

I won't get into ridiculous rifles they're carrying. At least one of them actually has two flashlights on his.
true. but you got to take what they give you. and it's insane how big the difference is between sf and regaular army

Tancred_de_Houdan said:
Easier just to write your name on all items of clothing with a waterproof pen.
Hated that s**t

true. but you got to take what they give you. and it's insane how big the difference is between sf and regaular army
Not, it's quite clear that they had plenty of cash or option in their gear. No one strapped for cash mounts a reflex sight to literally every single rifle.

How overboard they went that cash and how poorly they chose the equipment to smother themselves in just goes to show that even the best trained Iraqi is still kinda clueless.

Austupaio said:
Probably like the only force where the U.S. training even began to sink in. Not sure what's up with that uniform though, it's ****ing silly. Black is beyond useless for all the terrain and conditions they'll be fighting in, and why on earth would you have entirely black equipment and then that bright olive vest?

Black is style
How ISIS managed to conquer territories and why Iraqi's forces didn't managed to hold them?

Back
Top Bottom