Beginner modding help please, claimants&title takeovers

Users who are viewing this thread

I've just delved into very very basic modding. Using morghs to edit troops, parties, factions etc. But there is one thing I can't seem to do. Change claimants. I can change them from morghs, their names, stats, equipment etc. But when I go into the game, they will just say their original game backstories, e.g. lethwyn far-seeker. Even if I change his name to say, Joe, after he greets me and I present myself as the player, he'll say "I'm Lethwyn Far Seeker. My dad was shot in los angeles yadda dadda". I figure the dialogues file in the modules could fix that, but in the dialogues file, their lines don't exist! Only their lines when they are in your party exists, such as what they say when you ask them their thoughts on the campaign. I have checked meticulously with ctrl+f.

How do I change the backstory of claimants so they don't throw up their default stuff at me?

Also, on the subject of claimants, how do I change their titles? For example, let's say I made the vaegirs' King Yaroglek into Count Yaroglek from morghs, but when the claimant takes over, they go straight back into being a King. How do I make it so that the claimants also take over the title?
Also changing the lord/lady title of other factions? So when a lord defects they also take that title? How do I do all this?

Solution
There are hardly modder around anymore who are using Morgh's Editor a lot, most are working with the Module System. There should be a dialog text file and a string text file, latter one can contain those sentences too. Be aware that you need to check for the phraes which are not generic, so not the names or titles. "My dad was shot in los angeles" should be a good search key though. The replacement of his name should have worked though but you can always check manually in the troop txt file if you actually saved correctly.

For the lord/lady titles I am actually not sure if their mechanic can be changed without the Module System, I somehow doubt it. TheMageLord made once a long list of changes which are possible via text editing...
There are hardly modder around anymore who are using Morgh's Editor a lot, most are working with the Module System. There should be a dialog text file and a string text file, latter one can contain those sentences too. Be aware that you need to check for the phraes which are not generic, so not the names or titles. "My dad was shot in los angeles" should be a good search key though. The replacement of his name should have worked though but you can always check manually in the troop txt file if you actually saved correctly.

For the lord/lady titles I am actually not sure if their mechanic can be changed without the Module System, I somehow doubt it. TheMageLord made once a long list of changes which are possible via text editing. Everything not listed there can actually be considered to be too complicated to do without text editing.

Upvote 0
Solution

For the lord/lady titles I am actually not sure if their mechanic can be changed without the Module System, I somehow doubt it. TheMageLord made once a long list of changes which are possible via text editing. Everything not listed there can actually be considered to be too complicated to do without text editing.
I found it in the strings file, thank you. About the title thing, I will have to use the Module System? I assume I need coding knowledge for that?

Upvote 0
I think you need the Module System for it but I have hardly done something at Singleplayer to know for which places you have to look here.

Working with the Module System does not require coding knowledge but it helps if you have some. It depends on what you plan to do with your mod since - as mentioned before - there are limitations what you can achieve by solely doing number tweaking. The more deeper/complicated your change wishes are, the more I would recommend to switch to use the Module System since it is more feasible to do stuff there. If you want you can take a look at the Warband Modding Guide in my signature. It's work in progress but it gives you a good first insight in how it looks like to work with the Module System. You can then make your decission based on your impression (make a backup safe copy of your current work before you are getting started, to not lose any work of yours).

Upvote 0
Morgh's Editor is for basic tweaking. For more in-depth modding, Module System is mandatory; it is simple and straightforward to utilize. All operations have their own respective description and their names are put in basic terms. In my opinion, it is really simple to use Module System owing to the ease of writing new scripts. Same cannot be achieved with Morgh's Editor.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom