SP - Economy Becoming a merchant prince(ss)

Users who are viewing this thread

Deer

Sergeant at Arms
Ideas for expanding the trade/business aspect of the game.

I would like to see some renown or skill/feat gain from being a successful trader and owner of workshops. Even if I'm not a renowned general and warrior, being a merchant prince(ss) should make one quite influential. Maybe you could even lend money to lords to finance their endless wars. And if your caravans feed a city, this would make you a big name there (and possibly hated if you overcharge for the daily bread). Think of Crassus from the last time in the Roman Republic. Extremely rich, extremely influential, but as a moneygrubber he was always less respected in comparison to Pompeii or Caesar, still these two relied on his money for their triumvirate to succeed.

As Cascade Hush put it:
"Yeah, renown/influence for trading would be good, especially if it is just a trickle from workshops or only when you do a really big trade.

Also being able to finance a war with a return incentive, risk of losing your investment and possible intrigue based on who you support would be totally awesome."

To put it in bullet points:

* some sort of renown/influence generation from having many workshops and/or caravans, as well as from selling large amounts of much needed wares in cities with huge demand. It shouldn't be much, or it would be easy to exploit.

* an investment and moneylender function. Finance lords for goodwill and possible financial gain. There need to be some negative consequences for forfeiting your loans, or demanding unfair %.

* a monopoly function. If you have cornered the market on grain, you can hold a lot of power, but you can easily generate a lot of enemies and hate if you are inflating prices or witholding wares. Admittedly this last one might be a very tough one to implement, but darn it could add a whole new dimension. To the game.

I've posted a similar thread in the character/clan forum. I totally agree with you on that. Combat shouldn't be the only way to obtain renown.
Let's pull ourselves up on this forum :grin:

Both renown and influence can be earned through the trade perks already. Renown through either caravans or workshops. Influence from both caravans and workshops.

If it's available earlier, then it's not only going to be a merchant prince(ss) perk, it's going to be available to anyone who's invested a few points in it, since it levels up virtually all the time.

Both renown and influence can be earned through the trade perks already. Renown through either caravans or workshops. Influence from both caravans and workshops.
I was not aware. Good to know. Maybe I'll look into it now that I chose horribly wrong when I pledged myself to the Vladians shortly before the got steamrolled by all 3 neighbors at the same time. I'm seriously considering just abandoning the cause at find a new king after the inevitable collapse.

Back
Top Bottom