Be able to order your troops to attack a precise ennemy

Users who are viewing this thread

everybody wants this so much because it will improve tactics so much. i suspect it's probably more complex to implement than it might look like though. heck unit formations (roman letters on party screen) don't even stay after a game load. much work to be done.

the idea is pretty simple, though. pick formation, F1, F12 (or whichever), type number for the enemy formation you want your picked formation to attack. it would be necessary to visualize enemy formation numbers in order to make that possible though. telling to attack unit type (instead of formation) might not be feasible or even desirable i think.

Last edited:
i'm not into game design and i don't know anything about it, i'm just a student in computer science so i just ask it with a gamer point of view. At least, in my opinion, if the battle system is able to put the troops in formations : horse archer, cavalry, infantry and archers, then there must be a way to get the information of what kind of troops can be attack by wich. But we need the eyes of an expert here for sure.

everybody wants this so much because it will improve tactics so much. i suspect it's probably more complex to implement than it might look like though. heck unit formations (roman letters on party screen) don't even stay after a game load. much work to be done.

the idea is pretty simple, though. pick formation, F1, F12 (or whichever), type number for the enemy formation you want your picked formation to attack. it would be necessary to visualize enemy formation numbers in order to make that possible though. telling to attack unit type (instead of formation) might not be feasible or even desirable i think.

I guess another way is to make enemy formation icons clickable when using Alt. They're already there, and so is the cursor, so we could capitalise on that.

It could work so that the last command ordered to the troop is applied to the enemy formation the icon of which you've clicked. Therefore, 3-F1-F3 and then click on enemy bowmen would make them charge enemy bowmen. And so would 3-F1-F3-F2 from your example in case you're close to the enemy formation you want to target and clicking the icon is uncomfortable.

Having control over whom your units are attacking is extremely vital to tactics. It would really benefit from its own separate GUI though.

This option is availabe in Warband Viking Conquest to tell them to attack archers or infantry, so they could do it.

could you imagine being able to order your cav to attack only archers :iamamoron:

yep that's the idea ! but imagine if the archers are mixed with ennemy infantry, you need to accordingly be able to order your cavalry to attack both units or they will get massacre by the spearmens :dead:

Indeed. Both advance, charge (both todays "headless chicken"-charge and a real charge) could be done to any (selection of) enemy formation(s).

I think the best option would be to select enemy formation using the unit icon on the alt-key to make sure that you are actually engaging the correct one.

* Select 3 (Cavalry). The protagonists yells "Cavalry"
* You hold alt and click an enemy formation icon. Protagonist yells "On enemy archers".
* F1-F3. "Charge!".

Enemy formations should have different achillies heels that would have massive morale impact.

For instance:
* if archers are charged close distance by a reasonably large cavalry charge or foot soldiers without nearby protectors and without free space and speed to gain distance.
* if a sword unit is engaged in fight and then charged from behind.
* if a sword unit loses units to ranged faster than they can close the distance.

And pleace, mix formations. Let footsoldiers and archers be in the same group and form up joint formation so that soldiers will engage instead of archers pulling swords.. And let pikemen group up with footmen.

And pleace, mix formations. Let footsoldiers and archers be in the same group and form up joint formation so that soldiers will engage instead of archers pulling swords.. And let pikemen group up with footmen.
This is implemented already. You can set dedicated formations in party screen.

Back
Top Bottom