Be a soldier: a new mode taleworld never has

Users who are viewing this thread

Of course you can play in another role you made up - but the game's designers simply didn't put much effort into supporting such roles with full featured sets like they did for the commander role. So your experience would be limited BY DESIGN.

This is actually spot on.
I think Bannerlord is an okay/good combat sim.

Most* of the complaints (my comments included) are rooted in higher expectations. The superproductive (:grin: ) "could have been much more" school of thought.

*not all, for example melee cavalry combat swing aim

So your experience would be limited BY DESIGN.

Most* of the complaints (my comments included) are rooted in higher expectations. The superproductive (:grin: ) "could have been much more" school of thought.

I agree with you two. @MadVader I get now what you meant by gamplaycore. @shikaka I could not say better. I also have high expectations (still). However, ı am ok with the current state of the game. It could've been better, but there is no limit in our expectations. Do not get me wrong, we should demand more and critisize the game. However, not for blaming the game, but to make it better or for future game plans.

In my first days in this forum, ı acted like a fan of TW whom defended it from everywhere. (maybe it is becasue of I am a Turkish player) I understand it now that I should have critisize the game in a more productive way.

I am very curious about mods that would implement this feature. Later months, we would see very interesting mods ı hope.

Bannerlord is pretty bad for commanding large battles though, so if that is the core gameplay they were going for, they missed the mark, and not by a little.

Bannerlord's core gameplay is massive battles. The strategic part with RPG elements is there to set up and give some meaning to those battles.
The point of disagreement in this thread is whether the player's role is to command and fight in those battles (as Taleworlds wants), or just fight with much less responsibility for the outcome of the battles (as FPS/MP enthusiasts want).
Of course a mod like Freelancer allows both, making everyone happy.
But it also encourages irresponsible behavior and stunts the personal growth of the more infantile FPS players. Do we want to live in a society filled with those? If these people avoid responsibilities of command, where are the future Assistant Managers of McDonalds supposed to come from?? The future looks bleak.
A mode that allows both? What the hell? You can already be a commander by playing the damn game normally, what the hell are you on about lmao

Yeah of course I can ignore it but I find it hilarious. You have the majority of players wanting to have more features while you guys want to have less..?.

I have played starcraft 2 for years I wonder if during it's beta people asked for such;
"hey Blizzard, I don't like the base & units building, collecting ressources, expanding ect, could I just play a zergling in computer match?

The morale is; Bannerlord single player doesn't seem to be designed as a simple hack&slash RPG. There's already a ton of that type of games out there. So I hope taleworld continue with their own vision of the game because so far it is unique.

In fact this freelancer system was interesting in the 1200 AD mod because making money early in the game was difficult and serving as a soldier to a lord was an interesting possibility for his salary but I actually doubt its usefulness in Bannerlord when I see the ease where you make money unless you earn a considerable salary

but there is something troubling me now that you mention it, wasn't it something dev planned, and rising in rank in a lord's army ?

Of course you can play in another role you made up - but the game's designers simply didn't put much effort into supporting such roles with full featured sets like they did for the commander role. So your experience would be limited BY DESIGN.
Can you play as a hunter in Skyrim and do nothing else? Sure. Should you? No, you are missing on most of the features. But you don't care about most of the features? Then find a real hunting game.
Equally, trading and arena fighting in M&B are great side activities, but they are never meant as exclusive roles, just things to do to complement your commander experience.

that cool but in the meantime what are you proposing as new to the game?
( on Skyrim you can become so many things, masters of the 4 guilds, werewolf, dragonborn, orc village chief, members of the blades and the dawnguard, servants of the daedra etc... )

Last edited:
Can you play as a hunter in Skyrim and do nothing else? Sure. Should you? No, you are missing on most of the features. But you don't care about most of the features? Then find a real hunting game.
Equally, trading and arena fighting in M&B are great side activities, but they are never meant as exclusive roles, just things to do to complement your commander experience.
Singleplayer Sandbox Campaign
Play the game the way you want to play it! Plot your own path to power in a dynamic sandbox adventure where no two playthroughs are the same.
This is from the Steam game description btw, I don't see anything of "YOU CAN ONLY BE A COMMANDER ITS THE ONLY THING WE WANT THE PLAYER TO BE", and I don't see how being a soldier isn't a way to plot your own path into power, in fact it would be a nice step going from soldier to commander, but I guess your views are way too narrow to comprehend that, besides the Skyrim comparison is terrible man, Skyrim is a story RPG where you assume the role of the god damn dragonborn and your purpose it's to save the world, in Bannerlord you're supposed to choose your purpose, and based on the description of this game you're encouraged to be whoever you want in this game, but the mechanics don't allow you to, and that is something I blame the devs for

Last edited:
The Steam advert may have many interpretations, but the most likely is that while playing as a commander you may take on the kingdoms any way you want. There's no set path to conquer Calradia, but PLOTTING YOUR PATH TO POWER is done in the game how? By commanding your troops (and allies) to victory. Not by hiking, trading or hiding in a corner of the map.
The Skyrim comparison is apt as you are not required to follow the main story, but are able to spend all your time hunting deer or catching butterflies or sleeping at home. But just because you can play the game that way, it doesn't mean you should.

The Steam advert may have many interpretations, but the most likely is that while playing as a commander you may take on the kingdoms any way you want. There's no set path to conquer Calradia, but PLOTTING YOUR PATH TO POWER is done in the game how? By commanding your troops (and allies) to victory. Not by hiking, trading or hiding in a corner of the map.
The Skyrim comparison is apt as you are not required to follow the main story, but are able to spend all your time hunting deer or catching butterflies or sleeping at home. But just because you can play the game that way, it doesn't mean you should.

sorry but becoming a merchant was one of the possibilities Taleworlds wanted before EA's release

+ why trading have a talent tree ? why there is an economic system ? what are caravans used for ? and if you think it's for an income question there were i think other ways to create a means of income in the theme of a warlord

Last edited:
I'm aware they beefed up the merchant features, but that still doesn't make playing as merchant an alternative PATH TO POWER. You just have more toys to play with until you get bored and become a classic warlord. If there isn't a way to win the game as a merchant then you know it's not an alternative. Don't take their hype seriously.

You're not required to follow the main story but you shouldn't do whatever else you want? Bro you do realize you're contradicting yourself all the time don't you?

The Steam advert may have many interpretations
Play the game the way you want to play it!
Where exactly this leaves space for open interpretation? It's completely clear and direct.
PLOTTING YOUR PATH TO POWER is done in the game how?
Yeah maybe when you have your own kindgom but when you start the game you have plenty of options to set your path, I could play the entire first hours without recruiting a single man, making money by doing tournaments, trading and making quests without commanding, afterwards is something else, but the path I chose was already completely different. Actually, I could continue being a trader and focus on that while other lords conquer castles and such, and then I could just barter towns to myself thanks to being a trader ?. If you just like playing it that way I don't see how other features would stop you from doing so, but at this point you're posting so much nonsense I feel you're trolling us lmao, why would you even get angry if you got more choices to make dude.

I don´t think that it is that boring. I prefer it over the "normal" early gameplay. Running from village to village to do the same quests and fighting looters over and over again is more boring for me.

So I would be happy with that option. Of course it would be even better if they add something more to it.
The stars have aligned and we are in full agreement :lol:

When I searched Freelancer I found many of many threads of it, It is really an excellent idea and many players want it. But tw seems ignore it, confuse ...:facepalm:

sorry but becoming a merchant was one of the possibilities Taleworlds wanted before EA's release

+ why trading have a talent tree ? why there is an economic system ? what are caravans used for ? and if you think it's for an income question there were i think other ways to create a means of income in the theme of a warlord

They also nerfed that into the ground shortly after release, unless something has changed in that regard in the most recent patches.

There is: you can literally buy every settlement, lol.

Yeah but good luck raising the money that is necessary for that without fighting (again, unless that has changed recently, I haven't played the game in a while).

Yeah but good luck raising the money that is necessary for that without fighting (again, unless that has changed recently, I haven't played the game in a while).

If you're playing as a trader, you're going to have enough money to buy every settlement long before you get to the trade level required to actually do it. After you get 200 trade points you're even earning interest on your daily balance, you're getting insurance payouts for lost workshops and caravans. Trade perks even give you passive reputation points so you don't even need to fight to level up.

The trade tree is one of the most powerful trees once you get far enough down the track. I'd much rather earn daily interest on your account balance and earn passive reputation than be allowed to upgrade bandits or 10% faster melee cavalry.

The only requirement you ever have to fight a battle, is to get your levels up far enough to establish your clan and marry.

Regarding being a soldier... that's all fine if that's what you like. I'm not interested in being a cog in an AI commander's suicide machine.

The stars have aligned and we are in full agreement :lol:

Now kiss? :wink:

I never play as a horse archer or abuse any other archer cheese (like retreat when running out of arrows).

Also nobody would lose anything if this option would just exist. If you don´t want to be a soldier in an army just don´t use the option, you won´t miss anything so?

I also don´t think that it would be much work for TW to implent it, at least not on the basics level the mods for Warband do it. That would be good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom