Be a soldier: a new mode taleworld never has

Users who are viewing this thread

I think you guys are forgetting Bannerlord is already pretty boring when you're playing normally, I can't imagine how **** it would be when they implement the most basic freelancer system that involves sitting in a lords army collecting 15 gold a day doing literally nothing until you fight a battle.

It's a great idea but they will have to actually put some effort and depth into it not being a waiting simulator, but as we've seen with most features that probably won't happen.

There is a interesting mode in some warband mod(like Leading Your Army), it’s name is soldier mode , in this mode , you can join lord’s army to be a soldier. And when you kill an enemy you get gold, and you can upgrade your level by the culture of the army your are in.
If this mode can be added to bannerlord, it will be fun. And can go further, here is some points I can propose:

1. Credit System
Credit is something you can earn in army:
(1) You can earn credit when you kill an enemy, the higher level he is, the more credit you earn.
(2) When your army is in a town and there is an athletic competition, you can join it in the name of your army, if you win the competition, you earn credit.
(3) When the army is on the world map, your lord will ask you do something for them, like rescue other lord from enemy's castle, if you finish the job you can earn credit.
What can you use credit for:
(1) You can exchange your credit to money with quartermaster.
(2) You can upgrade your level by consuming some credit, the higher level you reach, the greater credit you need.
(3) You can exchange your credit to equipment with quartermaster, the better equipment , the greater credit.

2.Level System
Level system is the military rank you can reach in army. When you join the army, you may be a ordinary soldier, but you can be an elite soldier after many time you upgrade your level. Usually each level is the same as troop tree.
(1) The higher level you are in, the higher salary you get.
(2) The higher level you are in, the better equipment you get.
(3) You can event lead a small team if you are in the top level.
(4) When you reach the top level, you can choose to be the bodyguard of your lord which has the best equipment, this is highest honor. Or you can choose to be an new lord and get a small territory.

3. Defeated System
When your army is defeated, you may be:
(1) Be a captive and be imprison in the enemy's castle, you can freed yourself by paying some ransom, or you can wait for your lord’s help, if your level is high enough or your relationship is good with your lord, your lord may pay ransom for you, or send someone to rescue you from the prison. When you are free, you can choose whether return to the army.
(2) You get separated from the army, you can find your lord and return to the army oneday.

And in other news: Even more people want freelancer to be added to the base game.

Apparently it's already half feasible. With console enabled you can change your clan leader to wife or brother. Doing so will remove you from policies, fief votes, town & castle management and pay zero wages. All there is left is to have your AI clan member take control of your party movement. Once in a fight you can just deleguate all commands. Fun times ahead just waiting in fast forward for each fights your AI leader choose. Probably ain't hard to implement or mod.

I think you guys are forgetting Bannerlord is already pretty boring when you're playing normally, I can't imagine how **** it would be when they implement the most basic freelancer system that involves sitting in a lords army collecting 15 gold a day doing literally nothing until you fight a battle.

It's a great idea but they will have to actually put some effort and depth into it not being a waiting simulator, but as we've seen with most features that probably won't happen.
I don´t think that it is that boring. I prefer it over the "normal" early gameplay. Running from village to village to do the same quests and fighting looters over and over again is more boring for me.

So I would be happy with that option. Of course it would be even better if they add something more to it.

That's what Freelancer was like and people still enjoyed it.

This feature would be nice if the lords actually participated in battles.
The reason why I never sign up in mods which have the freelancer submod, is that you spend 20-30 in game days and mostly sit in a town. About as interesting as watching grass grow.

My idea of an actually fun freelancer version actually exists, and in The Last Days mod:
- if using M&B terms, you are basically a mercenary for a faction (not a lord, not awarded fiefs)
- you are mostly free to do as you want
- you get a reasonable weekly payment (depending on your rank, not on the number of troops you have)
- you can store your reserve soldiers in the faction capitol
- at character generation you get the basic gear (but in a less focused mod, you could get it when signing up)
- you get influence ("rank points") with the faction if you join their battles or sieges
- you get influence points if you do quests for the faction lords of faction guildmasters
- you get influence points if you win a battle around either their cities or if a lord is nearby and sees your triuph (not just enemy lords, for bandits too)
- when you collect influence points, you rise in rank, which means more payment for you
- you also get influence (and payment), if you hire recruits, train them up, and donate them to a faction patrol, lord or city, acting as a mercenary trainer of some sorts. Not pittance either, the difference between the cost a recruit and the "sale price" of a top tier unit is actually worth your time, not to mention strengthening your faction's lords and patrols.
- when you rise to certain ranks, you get special benefits. Eg. spend influence to ask patrols to follow you, command all troops in a battle (not just yours), give advice to the marshall, hire certain powerful companions.
- alternatively, you can spend influence on higher tier faction gear. (you don't get any for free except for the initial entry gear, but you can get everything, even unique items, like the Horn of Gondor.).

I think this method is much more fun than the "original" freelancer.
- you are never bored, because you are not tied to a feasting lord sitting in his castle
- but at the same time, you can play a footsoldier, if you follow a lord alone, and join his battles
- you don't get higher tier faction gear, you actually have to pay for them. (this means freelancer exploits involving signing up and deserting with gear don't work)
- it gives you nice, but not overpowered things (basic gear, ability to store reserves at capitol) at first, and if you are focusing on helping them, you can be a really powerful ally of the faction (giving tips to the marshall, or commanding a host bigger than their lords, or commanding their battles in a more efficient way than the AI)

My idea of an actually fun freelancer version actually exists, and in The Last Days mod:
- if using M&B terms, you are basically a mercenary for a faction (not a lord, not awarded fiefs)
- you are mostly free to do as you want
- you get a reasonable weekly payment (depending on your rank, not on the number of troops you have)
- you can store your reserve soldiers in the faction capitol
- at character generation you get the basic gear (but in a less focused mod, you could get it when signing up)
- you get influence ("rank points") with the faction if you join their battles or sieges
- you get influence points if you do quests for the faction lords of faction guildmasters
- you get influence points if you win a battle around either their cities or if a lord is nearby and sees your triuph (not just enemy lords, for bandits too)
- when you collect influence points, you rise in rank, which means more payment for you
- you also get influence (and payment), if you hire recruits, train them up, and donate them to a faction patrol, lord or city, acting as a mercenary trainer of some sorts. Not pittance either, the difference between the cost a recruit and the "sale price" of a top tier unit is actually worth your time, not to mention strengthening your faction's lords and patrols.
- when you rise to certain ranks, you get special benefits. Eg. spend influence to ask patrols to follow you, command all troops in a battle (not just yours), give advice to the marshall, hire certain powerful companions.
- alternatively, you can spend influence on higher tier faction gear. (you don't get it for free).

I think this method is much more fun than the "original" freelancer.
- you are never bored, because you are not tied to a feasting lord sitting in his castle
- but at the same time, you can play a footsoldier, if you follow a lord alone, and join his battles
- you don't get higher tier faction gear, you actually have to pay for them. (this means "freelancer" exploits involving signing up and deserting with gear don't work)
- it gives you nice, but not overpowered things (basic gear, ability to store reserves at capitol) at first, and if you are focusing on helping them, you can be a really powerful ally of the faction (giving tips to the marshall, or commanding a host bigger than their lords, or commanding their battles in a more efficient way than the AI)

This sounds like being a vassal, minus the fiefs but with the advantage of a fief's storage.

This sounds like being a vassal, minus the fiefs but with the advantage of a fief's storage.

Compared to vassal status only:
- advance in rank (1-10) vs. vassal status (1 only)
- unlock possibilities step by step vs. getting everything instantly
- a meaningful choice with spending influence (pimp your character vs. help your faction)
- some new activities suitable for a mercenary commander (reinforce patrol, train recruit and return them once higher level)
- the feeling of "climbing up the ladder" vs. instant vassal status. When you start out you are basically a nobody with entry level gear like cracked spears. You go step by step from this nobody to an important advisor of the faction, decked out in faction related, but unique gear.

edit: oh, forgot the most important stuff. You can actually work for more then one faction, as you are not a lord, but an independent.

Compared to vassal status only:
- advance in rank (1-10) vs. vassal status (1 only)
- unlock possibilities step by step vs. getting everything instantly
- a meaningful choice with spending influence (pimp your character vs. help your faction)
- some new activities suitable for a mercenary commander (reinforce patrol, train recruit and return them once higher level)
- the feeling of "climbing up the ladder" vs. instant vassal status. When you start out you are basically a nobody with entry level gear like cracked spears. You go step by step from this nobody to an important advisor of the faction, decked out in faction related, but unique gear.
I'm sorry but everytime i see your name i just think of this.

That being said, this is rather interesting and I would love to see a dev's thought on this specific topic. Meaning the OP not the clip

When I registered the forum I was watching this movie, that's where it comes from. (what I usually take of forums was already reserved at TW's)
One of my favourite movie(s) from before the 2000's

Back on topic, all those you wrote I personally like and would appreciate at least some thoughts about them. Would tag mexxico but I don't wanna bother him rn

It's a nice feature but honestly its presence wouldn't be missed from the game if they never included it. I am happy for freelancer to stay a mod; TW should focus on the core gameplay.
Is the main mission in bannerloard the core gameplay? Taleworlds spends much time on it but when you play it once you may not play it anymore. But Freelancer gives us many possibilities when you start your game.

Indirectly you could, if it wasn't planned that means it's dev time diverted from features you care about.
Agree with the guy thought he's not being polite about it. Game was sold to me as an medieval-rts-fighting sort of simulation which is super unique genre. A game where you fight as a regular medieval soldier? There is quite an abundance of them already.
Bannerlord is not rts, it combines RPG, SLG and others. Many players want Freelancer and it is what they care about. If you are not interested in it, you can ignore it.

Is the main mission in bannerloard the core gameplay? Taleworlds spends much time on it but when you play it once you may not play it anymore. But Freelancer gives us many possibilities when you start your game.
Bannerlord's core gameplay is massive battles. The strategic part with RPG elements is there to set up and give some meaning to those battles.
The point of disagreement in this thread is whether the player's role is to command and fight in those battles (as Taleworlds wants), or just fight with much less responsibility for the outcome of the battles (as FPS/MP enthusiasts want).
Of course a mod like Freelancer allows both, making everyone happy.
But it also encourages irresponsible behavior and stunts the personal growth of the more infantile FPS players. Do we want to live in a society filled with those? If these people avoid responsibilities of command, where are the future Assistant Managers of McDonalds supposed to come from?? The future looks bleak.

Bannerlord's core gameplay is massive battles. The strategic part with RPG elements is there to set up and give some meaning to those battles.
The point of disagreement in this thread is whether the player's role is to command and fight in those battles (as Taleworlds wants), or just fight with much less responsibility for the outcome of the battles (as FPS/MP enthusiasts want).
Of course a mod like Freelancer allows both, making everyone happy.
But it also encourages irresponsible behavior and stunts the personal growth of the more infantile FPS players. Do we want to live in a society filled with those? If these people avoid responsibilities of command, where are the future Assistant Managers of McDonalds supposed to come from?? The future looks bleak.
ah yes, the bannerlord elite, the true masterminds of society.
thisisbait.jpg

Certainly MadVader is right, despite the bitter humor between the lines (I love it :lol: ). M&B offers as a main experience to become a general, chief or warlord from the first moment you step on Carladia by the hand of your MC.

However, the Freelancer mode as a complement, in my eyes is another way that the player can exploit in the first stages of life of each MC. I'm in favor of this kind of additions always widen the playable spectrum... an applicable example is the battle orders. The player has the option of F1-F3 or to opt for "tactical" ways of positioning in the strategy by other buttons or combinations of them; both options are viable because the game provides them. Therefore, another "way of the warrior" also would start with a Freelancer 2.0 system implemented for this installment.

Bannerlord's core gameplay is massive battles.
I do not agree with your statement here. In my opinion, the main core of this game is freedom within the given mechanics. I have never had massive battles in any of my playthroughs. I played as a merchant and as a gladiotor. This do not limits you with predefined role. However, you are limited with mechanics that you have in the game. As far as I see, people have different style to play this game and everyone try to improve their gameplay experience which is natural thing to ask. My point is, it is not possible to satisfy everyone and every play style equally.
I enjoyed my merchant and gladiotor playthroughs, but it could more depth and detailed with more features. On the other hand, this game tries to do everything with cost of detail and complexity. This is a design decision. The vanilla game would be much or less like this. We should not expect more from vanilla. And here comes mods. Your should check mods or make your own mods for further develop your game experience. This is why we have mods.

I do not agree with your statement here. In my opinion, the main core of this game is freedom within the given mechanics. I have never had massive battles in any of my playthroughs. I played as a merchant and as a gladiotor.
Of course you can play in another role you made up - but the game's designers simply didn't put much effort into supporting such roles with full featured sets like they did for the commander role. So your experience would be limited BY DESIGN.
Can you play as a hunter in Skyrim and do nothing else? Sure. Should you? No, you are missing on most of the features. But you don't care about most of the features? Then find a real hunting game.
Equally, trading and arena fighting in M&B are great side activities, but they are never meant as exclusive roles, just things to do to complement your commander experience.

Back
Top Bottom