Battles too easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Pisander

Recruit
So I have noticed since the patch that the combat AI has become stupid to the point of me not enjoying the game anymore.

An example. My party was 70 infantry (imperial), 50 archer (fians), 60 Calvary (cataphracts). I was caught by an army from Sturgia that was over 600 troops. These Sturgians decided let's hold our position on the high ground with 90% infantry.

I took a total loss of 10 troops because my archers just sat at the bottom of the hill and killed them. They never came after me until my arrows ran out and by then my cav could just trample them.

Pre-update I would have likely lost this battle. I would have exacted a high toll due to their setup, but I wouldn't have won.

Anyone else having this experience? It is ruining my game for me.

It's probably worse but it was always bad and you could always brutalize infantry with ranged units. Usually the AI will attack after taking some losses but if it uses a SW to move it's just too slow. That 90% infantry may suggest they were low power though as they should be promoting into more diverse things.

Game always needed more AI battle behaviours like crouch run -sprint charge etc.. imagine the AI using the terrain of the battlefield to its advantage like sending out their barechested 2 hander bezerkers to use more guerrilla attack like tactics like the Native American scouts used against the british and the french. You need to be able to use concealment, stealth and speed as well as surprise for that to work. Sadly that cant work because of the magical Line of Sight -enemy ALWAYS knows where their enemy are at all times .The is no burst of speed or sprint -essential for charging positions to create a Shock effect.

Before the naysayers show up (you know who you are) with the tired old "this would only make things worse because im caught on the spectrum and cant see outside of linear thinking blah blah blah" - of course only if this system well well designed not just flimsily created.

It's probably worse but it was always bad and you could always brutalize infantry with ranged units. Usually the AI will attack after taking some losses but if it uses a SW to move it's just too slow. That 90% infantry may suggest they were low power though as they should be promoting into more diverse things.
I have honestly never encountered a Sturgian army that was not at least 70% infantry. They don't balance themselves at all.

Sadly that cant work because of the magical Line of Sight -enemy ALWAYS knows where their enemy are at all times .
This is huge problem that holds back a lot, like night time and terrain. Night is ONLY annoying to the player, troops don't care at all and can fire and advance on them perfectly. Same with trees, there's always space for archers to butcher people in the trees and they just KNOW where to shoot. There's of course things they could do to change this or add defenses and penalties to simulate but that would be adding tings to the game, so almost no chance of it.

I really wish factions had different AI tactics because they all do the same exact thing.

I really wish factions had different AI tactics because they all do the same exact thing.
It's funny iirc there was a whole dev post about not only individual ai, but group ai and battle tactics. I guess all that went by the wayside when Taleworlds decided consoles couldn't handle it because I can see no other reason to dumb the ai down so bad.

My party was 70 infantry (imperial), 50 archer (fians), 60 Calvary (cataphracts). I was caught by an army from Sturgia that was over 600 troops. These Sturgians decided let's hold our position on the high ground with 90% infantry.

I took a total loss of 10 troops because my archers just sat at the bottom of the hill and killed them. They never came after me until my arrows ran out and by then my cav could just trample them.
What needs to happen is

ARCHER DAMAGE TO ARMOUR NEEDS TO BE NERFED TO A SENSIBLE AMOUNT

What is currently happening is that the outnumbered AI overestimates how useful their archers are in Defense.

If the archers are all eliminated, the infantry will advance. (Tested many times by solo'ing campers)

If the AI has the advantage, the infantry will already be advancing.

Otherwise, they play this very ineffective turtle strategy.

This is huge problem that holds back a lot, like night time and terrain. Night is ONLY annoying to the player, troops don't care at all and can fire and advance on them perfectly. Same with trees, there's always space for archers to butcher people in the trees and they just KNOW where to shoot. There's of course things they could do to change this or add defenses and penalties to simulate but that would be adding tings to the game, so almost no chance of it.

Oh yeah i know theres absolutely zero chance of a proper LOS feature being implemented -this is something that wouldve been needed to be built in from the ground up as they seem to have more of reductionist idealogy rather than expansion. But just take a look at Ruthvens mod for Warband which featured the entire World as one open scene (really a lot of cells which would need to load constantly when leaving) -but nevertheless it featured real Line of Sight mechanic and i dont think people realize how thrilling that can feel .For instance i could see small war parties just strolling along pretty far away but moving at the pace of a caravan. then some raiders or enemy war party would ambush them and that was just an amazing thing to see. Or the need to move your party around threats without setting them spotting you or perhaps giving you a warning like a bluff charge.

That was a direction I was hoping to see in this titled series at some point but it looks like itll never go that way and its a real loss imo.

Back
Top Bottom