Battlemaster

Users who are viewing this thread

Astinus

Master Knight
BattleMaster.jpg

www.battlemaster.org

Anyone playing this awesome game? I have currently started again after a long pause and I'm enjoyin my time in Minas Leon where we have almost won the Civil War and in Aurvandil, on Dwilight Island, where I've joined the schismatic Orthodox Astroism.

Fot those who don't know, battlemaster is a text based role-playing strategy game, in which you start out as a noble and seek to do... well... whatever you come up with. If you wish to create a religion that seeks to gain sway over an entire continent, or work with other nobles to build an empire, you can do that. Or at least attempt to, as there are others who will oppose you. All realms and religions are player created and run, from the lowliest knight to the highest King/Emperor/Prime Minister. The game takes place in a low fantasy setting, similar in atmosphere to medieval europe.

It's also slow paced and more similar to a MUD than a modern browser game since almost everything goes on on written roleplays by the players. It's a very nice game if you enjoy political intrigues, strategy and roleplay

Hmm, looks pretty cool, decided to play an adventurer, got the hang of it quickly, except one thing, can you talk to people around you or is it all message based?

Also in Dwilight, Rettleville to be exact, quiet little place.

I used to play this years ago, although I was never very good at the RP side of things. Its one of the extremely rare good browser games. They've certainly improved the wiki.

Also nice to see the War Islands have returned as their own game. I was there for their sinking, good times.

Oh I forgot to add that the adventure game is probably the most boring right now since it's almost completly based on pure roleplay, while as a noble you can get involved in wars, plots, tournament and such. Also adventurers die quite often

Everything is message based (take it as a play-by-mail style, even it's not exactly so) there's no IC (in character) chat,  there's a irc quakenet channel at #Battlemaster but it's for OOC things.

I'll describe shortly the current situation on the various continents:
- The East Island is the first and older continent, it has a very long story started back in 2001 (entirly players driven of course). It lives the aftermath of a huge war that shattered the southern realms and it's living a peace time. For a new player, I don't suggest starting there since it might be quite boring and static right now, even if just happened a couple of border incidents that might escalate between Perdan and his neighbours.

-Atamara is probably a good place to start since it sees a big war between the centra alliance against the northern ones and a spin off of this major conflict in the Minas's Civil War in which I'm deeply involved. Cagilan Empire is the powerhouse right now and they are conquering Eston, so both of those realm offers lots of opportuinities for a newcomer. Minas Leon, my actual realm in atamara, is another good place since we are expanding and will soon face the final siege of our enemy capitol city. Barony of Makar is said to be a fun realm to play, they roleplay as viking. Darka, Coria and Talerium are also realm involved in the war so they might be fine too, but I don't know much about them.

-Dwilight is the youngest island. There the medieval atmosphere is more strict (you can find some info there http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Serious_Medieval_Atmosphere ) and it's the most dynamic continent so far: the North is bound together by the Sanguis Astroism, the most influencial religion of the island. The center-east sees another civil war ongoing bewteen the Lurias while the center-west is federated into the Moot which stands against the southern powerhouse Aurvandil. Aurvandil is a reall well characterized realm, with its own defined cultere and some very good and active players. Terran also seems a good realm.

-Far East honestly I've never played there so I know very little about it. It shares a slighty different EC map, but I can't really say anything about the realm there, just that there should peace almost everywhere.

-The Colonies is a slower paced island, you get only one turn per day. Lukon there is dominating everything else and there are OOC talks going on about who resolve this. I don't suggest playing there

There's also Beluatarra, but you can't start a character there so unless someone is interested I won't talk about it  :mrgreen:

Yeah, adventuring is pretty neat at times, when I stopped playing they were adding in more special items you could sell to nobles IIRC, but nobles can just capture and hang you no reason which is kind of annoying.

Beluatarra has a daimon invasion every year to shake things up.

BT got heavily hit by the last invasion, some regions sunk in the oceans and now they have changed the way invasions work, making them players based rather than GMs led by adding "scrolls of summoning" and such things to what the advies can get.

The island is still recovering after the invasion though and it's pretty sleepy right now

ColonicAcid said:
Hmm, looks pretty cool, decided to play an adventurer, got the hang of it quickly, except one thing, can you talk to people around you or is it all message based?

Also in Dwilight, Rettleville to be exact, quiet little place.

Yep, Barca is rather quiet. We do have daimons to the west though  :mrgreen: I've never been that good at promoting activity in realms though, sadly  :neutral:

Astinus said:
BT got heavily hit by the last invasion, some regions sunk in the oceans and now they have changed the way invasions work, making them players based rather than GMs led by adding "scrolls of summoning" and such things to what the advies can get.

The island is still recovering after the invasion though and it's pretty sleepy right now

Yep, got a character there as well. Have just seen three to four rogue hordes spawn in the last two days though. And they are quite big!! :shock: About 1k each.

He's not joking either. D:

Also, I would like to say that the Far-East isn't as peaceful as it looks.

For Atamara, Darka is a mercenary realm, with all that entails.

In Dwilight anyone who wishes to earn a place in power would do well to join either the Farronite Republic or Swordfell. These are both new realms that could use more nobles and have plenty of opportunity for conflict if they were to get said nobles.

Devercia said:
I am a god on Dwilight. People worship my saintly corpse years after I stopped playing.  :lol:
Go on...

Kind of like adventurers, religion and priests always seemed to be less than visible in the game and mostly ignored, I don't recall any of the religions on Dwilight.

Interesting that you say so, as religion is by far the strongest theme on Dwilight. One of the side effects of BM's system is that you really can't know what you don't read, and what you don't read is often dictated by which message groups you belong to.

TBH I had an advantage in being one of the first people with a foot in the door on the island, to which other deferred to me to found Morek, which I had thought to be like the HRE and the Teutonic Order, and Sanguis Astroism, which was less than an after thought because Tom had waved the hand of god and demanded Morek be a theocracy. Interesting how such great things are born from insignificance. Most of SA was Mathurin's work.

Religion is primarily an RP device to fill cultural vacuums. It is therefore more of a political organization defining the terms of debate between nations yet to war with each other. The vast majority are over developed extensions of a founder's RP vanity, and thrive or fail on gaining the status of being extensions of the realm governments. Only a handful catch on as international.

The great thing about Battlemaster is that it developed memorable fictional histories that are 100% genuine. The bad part is that like real history, it takes years to bloom.

My most memorable moments were during Morek's war with Springdale. Before the war, Neel, the king of Springdale, gave me a wedding gift of a artifact sword when Deverka married Allison, who is now leading the current schism in SA. At the time, the leaders of Sanguis Astroism, including Allison, were lobbying for a war with Springdale for specific reasons I don't remember. I recall Deverka thinking them trivial, but Allison, doing what she does best, pulled a "Caelum Volt!" and had my underlings frothing at the mouth. At the same time, in a battle we lost with monsters, the sword Neel gave me was "lost" which I RPed as it breaking, which was interpreted by SA as some great omen, adding feul to their fire. Pretty much had to declare war then. I did so, but made the caveat that it was the Wardens of the Temple pushing the war, not the realm of Morek, which I believe is against the rules now.

Tactically, Neel and his army were cut off from their capital by a smaller by a force that could more easily reinforce. Springdale despite having its whole army afield, could neither muster nor maintain its numbers.  Behind the scenes I was commanding Bustorensenzio, the commander of the army, to hold his key position to keep the pressure up, burn, and pillage. Behind the scenes, I conspired to accept the vassalage of the Duke of Springdale, who'se Duchy was being ruined by a war; his king outmaneuvered and incapable of holding his end of the feudal compact. Needless to say, his defection was a spectacular end to the war.

Yeah defections of Dukes were pretty major events. Soon after I started playing someone in Cagil created his own realm named "I can't believe its not butter" or something.

Bgfan said:
Just made a new character, this is confusing.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Firstly, which continent are you on?

Back
Top Bottom