OSP Kit Combat Battlefield Tactics kit. Multiple formations per team+command revamp!

Users who are viewing this thread

koteko said:
I tried to integrate the old script from the first post into my own Warband 1.153+Diplomacy mod, but, even with little fixes ($g_battle_won instead of $battle_won for example), as soon as I "lead the charge" the game crashes with an opcode error.

Was it made for the original M&B? Is there a version for Warband so I won't have to include the biggest mod made by motomataru?

Opcode error means your script produce wrong opcode when it compiled. Let me guess, you wrote neq| instead of neg|.

You're right! I can't believe there is no syntax check -.- now I just get division by zero warnings but I think this issue has already been addressed around here..let's see.

The issues I had with the original code were command responsiveness, as detailed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYPSS1khXu0

And the fact that mirathei updated scripted movement five times a second to a given agent, which looked a little too artificial to me and seemed a little demanding on resources.

True, I'm having real problems to issue the commands. Like it only worked in a couple a battles out of 10 or so. Any quick fix? And about the update rate, what was a timing you found better?

I know you could say: just download my own kit :razz: but for now I'm already dealing with the bugs my own modifications introduced, so I'm trying to add only the strict necessary.

Moto, may be if battle presentation can use data from script_store_battlegroup_data, the performance when the player keeps  the battle presentation opened will be enhanced. Native updates the mini map every 0.1s with script_update_order_panel_statistics_and_map, 5 times more frequent than this Kit updates battlegroup data.

Actually, I wrote script_store_battlegroup_data and attendant functions to provide commonly used information. This way other scripts can simply look up a battle group's current position, for example, without running an agent loop every time. I just didn't take on the task of running through the entire mod system to find every loop that could benefit.

I can't remember why Native updates that often. The half-second seems to work OK, though there's a couple close quarters functions in the AI that have to anticipate position.

You just have to make sure script_store_battlegroup_data is running whenever benefiting scripts (like the battle presentation) would be. In other words, it ought to be made pretty low level...

At the end, I've installed your formations mod + AI (warband 1.153). It works, but I've some problems having the tab key recognised, so I have to wait some time before I can go out of the battle.

Is this a common issue (ie, depending on the engine or the system or..) or not supposed to happen at all?

Yeah, I'm happy with half second your set too. I guess I will consider the possibility to completely delete script_update_order_panel_statistics_and_map and make the presentation use the battlegroup_data. You and Caba made it into team slots already so it should be not too hard to do. The only things need to add to battlegroup_data are 1)converting agent's position into mini map coordinate and 2)updating the minimap camera's position.

koteko said:
At the end, I've installed your formations mod + AI (warband 1.153). It works, but I've some problems having the tab key recognised, so I have to wait some time before I can go out of the battle.

Is this a common issue (ie, depending on the engine or the system or..) or not supposed to happen at all?
I've never experienced it. Did you mess with common_battle_end at all? Or do you have some sort of after-death continuation? I imagine you're not using the AI, but if you are, you may wish to set AI_Replace_Dead_Player = 0 in FormAI_constants.

@dunde Are you possibly updating the battle presentation to include Formations info? I never got around to doing that for battle presentation fans, probably because I aren't one...

On the unreleased yet version of my mod, I already made the battle presentation's commands run your formation scripts instead. Now, I want to replace the way minimap works. Instead presenting each agent by a dot, I'd like to make it presenting the formations there. Like triangle for wedged formations, or square for squared formation. It will give tactical information enough for the player while consuming much lesser resources.

That's true; you'd only need a battlegroup loop instead of an agent loop. But what would the minimap show when troops are out of formation, like when they recover from a rout or upon reinforcement?

I have a small problem with implementing the mod to my own mod ._.' The source of that problem is mainly the fact, that english is not my main language, that together with my modding skills (or, to be sure, almost complete lack of them) makes is really hard to understand. I'm 100% sure, that answer for my problems IS in the installation instruction, but I just can't find it. But we should get back to the topic: I was trying to implement it throught the modmerger. The problem is, that trying to compile the files through build_module give me something like that:
http://imageshack.us/f/401/i2c.png/
And then that:
http://imageshack.us/f/833/wxgl.png/
I would be really gratefull for some help ;x

motomataru,
can you provide a link for the campaign AI? It gives me this:

This file has not been published by its authors yet . You cannot look at this file page or download any files relating to this file until the author makes the file available to the public.

Or is this deliberate? 

Back
Top Bottom