OSP Kit Combat Battlefield Tactics kit. Multiple formations per team+command revamp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Lumos said:
I, for one, wouldn't mind having formations take less damage. That would stimulate players to use them.
And you could even make the percentages variable based on different things, and maybe even the player's Tactics skill. :smile:

May be, when a troop in the formation's hit, some amount of the damages he receives can be absorbed, but the value will be divided by number of troops in the formations, and all of them will take the damage. It can be varied, like only troops beside him take the damage, depended on the formation.

I like that point. One mechanism I have not included in very close formation is the protection afforded one troop by the shield of the one to his right. I suppose I can track the right-hand neighbor with another agent slot. Now I just have to figure out how to apply damage to shields. Hm.

This of course would apply only to formations at the closest spacing, which I learned last night from Wikipedia was about 50cm, so I'm going to have to decrease that variable from the current 67cm. The saying was, "You shouldn't be able to push so much as an apple between the lances."

It also appears that most formations were barely wider than they were deep, averaging six ranks for the ancient phalanxes, and up to twenty for pike formations. I had noticed that our formations get a little unwieldly with too many troops in them. Well, I guess that's what our square is for...

Have you thought about giving some love to gunpowder-era units? Like grenadiers (or equivalents) and fixed cannons?
Or has it been done in some other mod already?

MadVader said:
Have you thought about giving some love to gunpowder-era units? Like grenadiers (or equivalents) and fixed cannons?
Or has it been done in some other mod already?
Are you talking formations or AI?

Vympel worked a bit with the existing code:

Vympel said:
Small formations , report to you sir if you dont mind .

This is what happens when I tell my "archers" to form ranks .
<<< This is perfection ! Why the AI "Archers" dont do it I dunno  :???:

This is how enemy AI form ranks PBOD options "Formations AI " " AI uses special orders " Disabled .
1."Archers" Running in blob formation until in fire range then form staggered line, "Infatry"  always in formations from the start
2. Infantry moves forward "archers" stand still forever in semi-staggered line
Etc.

So, it sort of works as is, and I think v4 will improve it.

How can I apply this to Warband 1.153 or 1.143?I couldn't use .py files :sad: If you could apply this to 1.153 or 1.143,plz give me the necessary files.PLZ... :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Caba`drin said:
It is available from the Repository or the Nexus, compiled on 1.143 Native: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2475 or http://mountandblade.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=2475

The problem is this,I have py files,but I couldn't combine it with "A House Hivided 1.4 "txt files :sad:

You'd have to merge the text files from the two mods. This is probably impossible.

I doubt formations would be a fitting addition to that mod anyhow. By the 1860's, formations are pretty much obsolete. The bloodbath of the American Civil War emphasized the transformation modern firearms had brought to the battlefield.

motomataru said:
You'd have to merge the text files from the two mods. This is probably impossible.

I doubt formations would be a fitting addition to that mod anyhow. By the 1860's, formations are pretty much obsolete. The bloodbath of the American Civil War emphasized the transformation modern firearms had brought to the battlefield.

But "Empire Total War" and "Napoleon Total War" Civil War mods use these formations and Formations in Civil War was not as obsolote as WW1.

telegraph said:
Is it possible to pre-setup formations and positioning before battle?
Also, one of the features in the release I've been debugging all summer is memorization of custom division dispositions. I haven't looked into how this will work with PBOD.

As for an ETA, every time I think I've wrapped the version up, a new questionable thing pops up. This week I'll be looking at why the AI archers suddenly seem intent on crossing the map. I've also received some complaints from the BW test releases that so far I've been unable to replicate.

OTOH, I've made some great progress, most of which will never be noticed by most players. For example, I successfully inserted an algorithm to approximate the nearest edge of a given formation (half width x cosine angle of glancing angle, min half formation depth). This has the side-effect of preventing formations from intersecting at odd angles at their centers -- the X's they often form in releases to date. I'll be happy if I can eliminate all such totally lame behavior.

Motomataru, I'm doing a test. By enabling new order system of 1.153 via module.ini, we will have 5 formation orders. Overriding them with your formations using new 1.153 trigger (ti_on_order_issued) will ease the need of Caba's order presentation.
And we will have fire at my command orders as the bonus :smile:

Heh! What timing we have. I just released v4...

http://mountandblade.nexusmods.com/mods/3784

Demo video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmA-IxNASVE&feature=youtu.be

Let me know how it works out, and we can issue a patch.

Also be aware that I added a couple commands to the F2 Formations Menu to memorize/forget division positions relative to the player.

EDIT: Are you also able to modify responses to commands through module.ini? I was unable to suppress the default Hold-F1 message when I modified it...

No. But your 2 time triggers you use to implement hold over there still work. I just remove gk_order check from the both triggers as I don't need to memorize F1-F8 Clicked sequence anymore.

EDIT :
Exploring your new update code. So it supports 8 divisions now. Very interesting.

dunde said:
Exploring your new update code. So it supports 8 divisions now. Very interesting.
Yeah, Caba'drin and I were dreaming about what the AI could do with that...

I'd dearly love to sort infantry agents by spears and other weapons and have the latter division assume offensive duties if the former is present to protect the archers. Run Custom Battles with Rhodok AI infantry and Swadian AI infantry to see why the weapon types don't mix. One damn axe and the whole division spaces out a meter and a half... Of course, the original implementation of using average weapon swing length prevented that, but my studies showed that the formations performed noticeably better spaced to accomodate the longest swung weapon lengths.

Also, it would be nice to set aside extra enemy lords in a Heroes division, to replace a fallen team leader, to retreat off the map to lead a subsequent battle, or to provide assassins against the player (I think Treebeard wrote assassin code into this AI for PoP).

And of course a distinct skirmishers division...

But this is as far as I'll be taking this code, save for fixes/minor changes. It's been three years...

Finally, I completely implement this new version of formation into my mods. One word : AMAZING!!!
It's much more stable than previous version. I tested with 100 vs 100 custom battle without noticeable lags.
I got lags when I did in 200 vs 200, but it may because my own mod 's loaded with some try_for_agents loops already.
I like the ability to save formations' positions and applying them to the next battle, and also the return the battlegroup after destroying their enemies has great impact on gameplay.

:blush: Your praise makes all the hours tracking down every unacceptably weird decision I saw the AI make worth the effort.

I assume you set the option to have large battles run more smoothly. That eliminates the lag at every second, but there was another at 4-5 seconds that I could not trace (I don't have a trigger at that interval).

To me, one appeal of the small scale of M&B is the illusion that one is commanding troops. So the Hold-F1 targeting is a level above "Go and stand there!" or "Charge!." It's actually a small mission: "Go and destroy that group."

Hm. I should have thrown in the threat avoidance routine from the cavalry AI so that player troops would circle around to the target. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom