Battlefield 1

Users who are viewing this thread

So It's an open beta, right? How much gbdoes it require to download for setup? I really don't want to wait 2 days just looking at my screen waiting for battlefield to finish download...

Lumos said:
beta is out. This is some of the least fun I've had in a game in a while. In one sentence, the game can be summed up as "invisible ****ers spawnkill me". Camper in a tank? Tough luck, you got no RPGs to take him out, only an AT grenade with a 50 years long timer and non-sticking C4 that's pointless because vehicle drivers aren't that idiotic to stand still. Try to buy the AT rocket gun? Can't, "not high enough rank". I'm level 2, that **** needs level 1, but I'm apparently Assault rank 0. I think. Nowhere does it say how much my progress to Assault 1 is, or if that's even the thing I need to be doing. Fine, let's stay away from vehicles then.

Infantry: Scum everywhere, and you can't see them, because 3D spotting has been nerfed to hell and back, and the minimap and its icons are so tiny that I can't see anything at all. The bygone days where I played BF2 and adored a slower, more intimate playstyle are over, my love, and this is exactly like the BF3 beta when I started. Enemies are ****ing invisible. I literally can't see them, and even if I do, they've already half-killed me. Fine, let's stay away from infantry then.

Sniping: I swear to God, only 15% of my shots connect. Horizontal scope offsetting? "WIND DRAG"? The **** am I supposed to kill people?! I'm not here to play ARMA Sniper Elite Ghost Warrior 15, I'm here to murder other humans. ****ing hell. Scope glint is back, which is nice, but it's also been nerfed, so it's pretty much useless. Also, you don't move fast enough and non-snipers' guns are ****e at range, so you can't defend yourself if you're being sniped at.
I had a little, little bit of fun in the final Rush match I played. Our team was pretty much worthless, and I slowly, slowly advanced forwards, picking off targets one by one (i.e. getting "spot bonus 25" scores. Occasionally. but I did kill one guy, I think), slowly closing the distance and methodically advancing. But guess what? 150 tickets, *****! Take that slow-paced gameplay you remember from BF2 and shove it deep up your arse, cause it's never going to be a thing in this game.

I also rode on a horse for 5 seconds. Sabre attacks can't be held like in M&B, you just click-and-swing. Laaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Get bombed by a plane? NOTHING YOU CAN DO, ******. Now get reduced to 15% HP and get blasted by the ****ing tank jerk-off again. Medics don't revive ****, probably because you don't get revive notifications as a medic, and I was healed ONCE. I revived 2 guys and got "best medic of the game", for ****'s sake!

Rage rage rage rage rage, and so on, and this is ****ing heresy coming from me, the long-term "old-school" fanboy. I'm going back to Dirty Bomb for the time being, thank you very much.
You call yourself old school but you are complaining about the lack of good 3D-spotting and lack of revives? Not having those things is entirely supportive of the slow-paced gameplay you say you're looking for. I haven't played the game so I don't know how it is but I'm honestly confused with your criticism.

Edit: Also, sniping being more difficult due to realistic effects like wind can only be a good thing, in my opinion.

IIRC it's 7.85 GB, or something like that.
Arvenski said:
I'm not having a wonderful time, but I don't know how much of that is the game's fault. Vehicles (and to a lesser extent, horses) are annoying, yeah, but other than that, my main issues seem to be lag and/or some kind of stuttering, a mouse that isn't working properly, and getting into games where the enemy team's kicking the crap outta mine. Besides those things, the game seems alright, at least as far as the infantry combat goes. I think I need to play the game more in order to get more of a feel for it, and to see about unlocking some different/better stuff. And yeah, about the only other FPS like this that I've played is Battlefront. And since I actually like Battlefront, unlike, it would seem, a lot of people, I guess that bodes well for my liking Battlefield 1, too. :razz:
Yeah, speaking of stuttering, I keep flip flopping between 60 fps and 3. Kinda weird, but I can live with it. Everyone's ping stays pretty low, so that's a plus.
And yeah, like you mentioned earlier they really need a better way to recognize allied vehicles than a tiny blue dot that may or may not be there. I keep shooting at our own planes. :dead:

Couple of new posts.

For me it was like 7.1 GB, IIRC.

Vraelomon said:
And yeah, like you mentioned earlier they really need a better way to recognize allied vehicles than a tiny blue dot that may or may not be there. I keep shooting at our own planes. :dead:
Me, on a number of occasions: "Oh, there's a tank. No worries, he's friendl-" BOOM *dies*

Wulfburk said:
Open beta meaning  you dont have to buy it to play?
Nope, it's free. The beta runs until the 9th, I think.

Also, why won't my classes level up? My account is like at level 6 by now, but AFAIK all my classes are still level 0. :???:

I'm quite enjoying this. Cav is awesome. Only bummer so far is lag and this ******* admin that kicked me. I assume the admins are DICE employees or mods, so **** the whole company and their families and pets. He didn't even so why. Or, I mean, he may have, but literally no one reads the chat in the middle of fighting. If he wants to say something, say it over the mic or give up the ****ing adminship, that ****ing twat. I think it was because I kept selecting cav to the possible exclusion of others. I left it open every now and then, and it isn't like there's only one cav slot. There were two or three in the mode I was playing. If there's an open cav slot, then I'm not going to just leave it there on the chance that somebody might decide to play cav at some point down the line when we could use it now.

My favorite moment so far was rushing down a canyon and blowing up a tank by tossing my AT grenade while on horseback.

ADDIT: I got kicked again. I was just playing regular assault and doing pretty well then suddenly, "You have been kicked by an admin."

I don't know if it's a ping thing or what, but this is getting ****ing obnoxious. Also servers are laggy and disconnects common. Gameplay is still fun.

EDIT: Kicked a third time, no explanation.

Right! Battlefield 1, take 2. I upped the HUD scale from 50% to 100%, and the minimap size from 0% to 30%, and turned the protanopia filter on. Thank God for DICE and their options menus! It's a much better game now, and people have become less invisible, though I still passionately hate tank campers. You probably don't need to do that if you've got a gigantic monitor (and see colours properly), but mine is 20".
Class ranks appear to be bugged, and ranking up is more or less impossible. I guess I'm not unlocking that AT gun.
Cavalry is fun, and I do enjoy the particular kit. 1895 without scope is pure goodness in medium-range combat, and the sabre is just sweet.
Still can't snipe for ****, but **** snipers anyway, so who cares.

Had to reinstall Origin, because I kept getting "origin not online" errors or something stupid of the sort, plus some bizarre over-1-minute-long freezes culminating in being kicked from the server. Seems to be fine now though.

Rigadoon said:
You call yourself old school but you are complaining about the lack of good 3D-spotting and lack of revives? Not having those things is entirely supportive of the slow-paced gameplay you say you're looking for.
... Which doesn't work when rounds aren't made to accommodate it. Besides, the point of having a medic class is to get revived, not to get bypassed by the medics whilst bleeding out.
On 3D spotting: it's the only thing you can rely on when you can't see **** and when markers on your minimap are tinier than the tip of a needle. It does work much better with a properly-sized HUD, though.

Kick thing appears to have been a bug. It's working well now. Still having fun, and I'm actually pretty decent. This game feels like the new Battlefront in a lot of ways, which I'm fine with. The only reason I hated Battlefront is because I wanted a proper sequel and not a new series with the same name.

Rigadoon said:
lack of revives?

Edit: Also, sniping being more difficult due to realistic effects like wind can only be a good thing, in my opinion.
Lack of revives is actually a good thing, whoever played BF4 on infantry maps(Metro,Locker) will know  the revive spam hell that it is

Sniping with wind ? That would be painful and annoying with the already implemented muzzle velocity, height factor and rpm.

ack of revives is actually a good thing, whoever played BF4 on infantry maps(Metro,Locker) will know  the revive spam hell that it is

True. Being revived by medics only to be shot again before you can stand up, is also incredibly frustrating.

Emil said:
ack of revives is actually a good thing, whoever played BF4 on infantry maps(Metro,Locker) will know  the revive spam hell that it is

True. Being revived by medics only to be shot again before you can stand up, is also incredibly frustrating.
It makes me want to smash my head in the wall.  :party:

It's better to be revived and die in half a second than to simply never get a second chance. Besides, reviving people in the middle of a firefight was a very efficient way to draw fire away from you, giving yourself a little breather and time to return fire. Grenade spam has always been much worse than reviving.

Lumos said:
It's better to be revived and die in half a second than to simply never get a second chance. Besides, reviving people in the middle of a firefight was a very efficient way to draw fire away from you, giving yourself a little breather and time to return fire. Grenade spam has always been much worse than reviving.
Sure, when I get revived mid fire I get shot instantly or I get a grenade to the face while having almost no time to react  :facepalm:

Lumos said:
Sure, it happens. But what's the problem? You don't get a second death in your statistics, and your team benefits as a whole. Nothing wrong with that.
They make me waste my time  :meh:

Back
Top Bottom