B Native Battle Time! - The co-op mod (v1.4 Updated 10/1/12)

Users who are viewing this thread

A tiny question, we noticed that there are modifiers for weapons (chipped, balanced, anything). Are they enabled for armors too (weapons are dropable, so you can find out by checking the name of the object on the ground, the same doesn't count for armor)?

Arch3r said:
A tiny question, we noticed that there are modifiers for weapons (chipped, balanced, anything). Are they enabled for armors too (weapons are dropable, so you can find out by checking the name of the object on the ground, the same doesn't count for armor)?
Item modifiers are transferred for the 9 inventory slots, so armor should have them too.

Egbert said:
Item modifiers are transferred for the 9 inventory slots, so armor should have them too.

Yeah, I was very impressed by this. The mod is just really great fun to play.

After playing it a little more, I have a few concerns though. The main one is about fighting a battle in two parts (for example in a siege or a large battle where you have a large amount of first aid and surgery skill), it seemed to be unable to cope with it because you were loading a save from before the first part, after fighting the second. So I think you need to add more options to save the game, before every battle. That should fix it.

My other concern is the way that the troops spawn. They seem to spawn in waves of different troops, so instead of fighting a nice balanced army, you end up fighting the infantry, then the cavalry, then the archers. I don't know if there's a way to fix this but it'd help the mod a lot, in my opinion.

I'd also like to clarify that the process of setting up and playing the battles is very automated. However, if it could be even more automated, I think that'd be good. Perhaps even a way to choose default settings for the non-dedicated server. Is that possible now?

As a side note, I can't help but think where this code can go. What sort of things it can be used for and as of now, I'm not really sure. The idea of some kind of co-op RPG mod sounds like it would be a lot of fun though and I'm sure some bright sparks will come up with something, so I'm looking forward to the source release.

Also, when we were playing as a clan, lots of people wanted to see an xfire stream of what I was doing outside of battles. It's a shame the devs didn't set something like this up, with a "spectate" mode for moving round the map etc.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I'm very impressed and the CoR guys are having a lot of fun with Battle Time!

captain lust said:
After playing it a little more, I have a few concerns though. The main one is about fighting a battle in two parts (for example in a siege or a large battle where you have a large amount of first aid and surgery skill), it seemed to be unable to cope with it because you were loading a save from before the first part, after fighting the second. So I think you need to add more options to save the game, before every battle. That should fix it.
It's not the same as Native, in that the battle doesn't end until one side is wiped out. The way the mod works it's better to finish the whole battle in multiplayer before reloading the campaign. Since it's easier to do the battle in one round so clients don't have to keep rejoining to finish. Is there a specific situation that you can't leave the encounter to save? The "Give me time to save" option won't work if you are chasing and enemy, as they would just run away.

captain lust said:
My other concern is the way that the troops spawn. They seem to spawn in waves of different troops, so instead of fighting a nice balanced army, you end up fighting the infantry, then the cavalry, then the archers. I don't know if there's a way to fix this but it'd help the mod a lot, in my opinion.
I tried that spawn setup as a feature, but I can just make it optional.

captain lust said:
I'd also like to clarify that the process of setting up and playing the battles is very automated. However, if it could be even more automated, I think that'd be good. Perhaps even a way to choose default settings for the non-dedicated server. Is that possible now?
The admin panel should already be setup automatically. The "Number of bots in team 1" which controls the battle size is remembered between battles so you shouln't need to keep changing it. I intended that you wouldn't need to change anything in the admin panel, but of course I could make more settings get saved after the battle. Which ones are important to save?

Also, thanks for the feedback.

Egbert said:
captain lust said:
It's not the same as Native, in that the battle doesn't end until one side is wiped out. The way the mod works it's better to finish the whole battle in multiplayer before reloading the campaign. Since it's easier to do the battle in one round so clients don't have to keep rejoining to finish. Is there a specific situation that you can't leave the encounter to save? The "Give me time to save" option won't work if you are chasing and enemy, as they would just run away.

It was in siege defense. I don't really know why but there ended up being 2 rounds and in the second we only had 2 defenders. So we weren't able to successfully fail at defending our castle. :razz:

Egbert said:
captain lust said:
I tried that spawn setup as a feature, but I can just make it optional.

Well I don't know how it'd work but fighting a more mixed army would be better.

Egbert said:
captain lust said:
The admin panel should already be setup automatically. The "Number of bots in team 1" which controls the battle size is remembered between battles so you shouln't need to keep changing it. I intended that you wouldn't need to change anything in the admin panel, but of course I could make more settings get saved after the battle. Which ones are important to save?

Oh I just meant for things like the server name and FF settings etc. I think the server name stays but settings like respawn as bot and the FF setting reset, each time you host again. As you're jumping in and out constantly, it might be nice if there was a way to store these settings.

Egbert said:
Also, thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for reading (I wouldn't have :smile:).

Scully said:
If there was a way for a person to join another's battle using his own singleplayer character and keep the exp and stats gained in the battle... I would be very happy.

Same question. I am trying to convince friends to come on in and I am unsure that they could actually use their SP characters. You mention that we can play hero or companion so I understand that we cannot use other SP characters. Can you confirm?

Does this mean that in case the leading player has no companion or lords following his party, other players cannot join the battle in MP?

And congratulations for such a brilliant idea!

La Makina said:
Same question. I am trying to convince friends to come on in and I am unsure that they could actually use their SP characters. You mention that we can play hero or companion so I understand that we cannot use other SP characters. Can you confirm?

Does this mean that in case the leading player has no companion or lords following his party, other players cannot join the battle in MP?
Anyone that joins the MP battle can choose to be the player, a companion in the player's SP party, or any lord from either team that is in the battle. So if you have no companions, your friends can still join and play as an enemy lord. Respawn as bot also works, but I think you have to start the battle as a hero. Clients can't export their own character to the host.

captain lust said:
Hmm, don't know if this has been reported but sometimes it kills all the companions, when you load the results, even if they didn't die in the battle.
darkrider231 said:
yeah ive seen that too, if they have low health (maybe 20% or less) they'll show up as having 0% when you use the multiplayer battle results

Does this only happen when their health is low but not dead at the end of the battle? Or does it show that the troop killed himself when he got disconnected? I've had problems with clients losing connection before the script saved their health, so maybe I should not count suicide deaths.

Egbert said:
Does this only happen when their health is low but not dead at the end of the battle? Or does it show that the troop killed himself when he got disconnected? I've had problems with clients losing connection before the script saved their health, so maybe I should not count suicide deaths.

Im pretty sure its only when the health is low but not dead, but i havent had any connection problems so far.

Egbert said:

I think this must be it. Although, I always host but it sometimes happens to me too (I play as a companion).

captain lust said:
It was in siege defense. I don't really know why but there ended up being 2 rounds and in the second we only had 2 defenders. So we weren't able to successfully fail at defending our castle. :razz:
darkrider231 said:
yeah ive seen that too, if they have low health (maybe 20% or less) they'll show up as having 0% when you use the multiplayer battle results
I found a bug that probably caused these to happen. It was setting companion health to a random number less than the party's first aid skill.

I added the other admin panel settings to get saved with the SP save-game, and added a new feature so heroes can keep weapons they picked up from the battlefield.

Also, I can add weapon proficiency earned in the battles, but I don't have the formula that native uses to calculate it, which means I have to make something up. Any ideas for a formula?

Back
Top Bottom