Battle tactics in this game are so bad and dumb

Users who are viewing this thread

The complaint was that after a difficult battle, you need to rebuild your army for a looooong time. You are kinda besides the topic here
That wasn't my compliant, which was what you quoted out of the context of the post.
My complaint is TW (or it's representative) trying to use "fast paced action" as an excuse to neglect useful and wanted battle micro features, while numerous parts of game design in fact are based on attrition and campaign time management, which don't fit in any way with "fast paced action". In fact only MP gameplay fits "Fast paced action" because you get a fresh team every round.

And I guess I have to re-state too, I am asking for the better micro battle options and pre-deployment stuff, NOT asking to not have to recruit troops or anything else. I should be obvious from reading what is the desire and what is the complaint, but you missed it the first time, so whatever.

Last edited:
2468-2-1332766727.png

I think op wants something like this. I first saw this system in Diplomacy 4.Litdum, a mod of Warband. In that mod, there was also formation tab if I remember correctly. So you can save all of your unit formations, their position, their initial attack and guess what there was also split feature where you can split ,for example, your horse archers in the same tier into different numbers(1 2 3 4 5 etc.). So everytime, in the begining of battles, your troops deploy accordingly.

Btw, there was a transfer order in Bannerlord which enable you to split your units to different numbers. Where did it go?

I remember these kind of things suggested before Bannerlord release and I was dump enough to reply those threads that TW definitely would add these since Warband mods had these features. How naive I was?

Edit:
There was also this.

Last edited:
Loose formation almost never made sense in IRL warfare and the fact that it's almost always the best option in BL is a factor of bad collision/animation physics more than tactics.

A question... How does a Roman legionary throw a pilum, if he is standing shoulder to shoulder in a tight formation? You can try this yourself at home... try waving a broomstick above your head without knocking over furniture. The gladius is the close combat weapon for when formations tighten, and it's short for a sword.

In game I use loose formation for the same reason that IRL formations often allowed space prior to contact - to allow for effective deployment of weapons, and to allow for manoeuvre through ranks. Try withdrawing your archers through a shield wall - it works about as well as it would have IRL - 1/3 of the poor archers end up stuck running in a stationery position tangled up with the heavy infantry.

But I agree with you, some of the animation physics are crazy - I saw a horse fly 20 meters in the air the other day from an arrow.

A question... How does a Roman legionary throw a pilum, if he is standing shoulder to shoulder in a tight formation? You can try this yourself at home... try waving a broomstick above your head without knocking over furniture. The gladius is the close combat weapon for when formations tighten, and it's short for a sword.

In game I use loose formation for the same reason that IRL formations often allowed space prior to contact - to allow for effective deployment of weapons, and to allow for manoeuvre through ranks. Try withdrawing your archers through a shield wall - it works about as well as it would have IRL - 1/3 of the poor archers end up stuck running in a stationery position tangled up with the heavy infantry.

But I agree with you, some of the animation physics are crazy - I saw a horse fly 20 meters in the air the other day from an arrow.
I'm tempted to reach out to Shad (Shadiversity) to ask specifically about loose infantry formations.

I understand that Republican manipular legions employed a loose formation on the offense - I think it was primarily for fighting against Mediterranean phalanxes. Their larger shields made it so that attacking troops could afford to loosen up while still protecting themselves and the wider formations allowed them to cover more ground + flank tightly-packed enemy formations + throw things like javelins/pila + constantly reinforce with fresh troops.

Velites would soften up enemy shieldwalls and then legionaries would drill into the weakened defenses in constant waves. This strategy would also mean that - even if the shieldwall wasn't broken - the spear hedge most definitely would be because of the necessity to drop ~2.4 meter spears in order to effectively fight in close quarters.

It must have felt like a no-win situation for hoplites... either you drop your spear and lose your defensive advantage against charges... or you keep your useless spear in CQB then get stabbed in the neck with a gladius.

However, I haven't seen anything in the historical record to suggest that legionaries ever defended against attack in loose formation. That's kinda goofy. I have seen accounts of Romans bracing the larger of their two pila against charges, though, and it seems like they used it often enough in melee for it to be notable.

Last edited:
However, I haven't seen anything in the historical record to suggest that legionaries ever defended against attack in loose formation. That's kinda goofy.

Oh no, I wouldn't challenge that one... Even in game 1-F2-F2 once your archers have withdrawn is an essential muscle memory.

Back
Top Bottom