Battle server suggestion from Mad Dawg

Users who are viewing this thread

Janus

*spicy* *camper*
Administrator
I'm not sure how you guys would want to deal with it or if you would even really be interested, but I got this PM:

Mad Dawg said:
Hey Janus,

One item that I've always thought would be a great benefit to the community is a Battle server that is for the newer, less experienced players to cut there teeth on.

Atm any new player that comes into a Battle server is pretty much fodder for the veterans.  And while when I first started mutliplayer I thrived on that I feel from the many, many threads in The Guildhall speaking of the learning curve show that many people are turned off by them.
Then they venture to Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Siege and miss out on the great experience that is Battle.

My question is in regards to the US_S# servers that are provided...I'm assuming by Taleworlds.  I played on them extensively in Beta, but have sense moved to clan servers ect.  For the most part I see them go un/underused.

Who runs/maintains these servers and what is the possibility of creating this "US_New_Player_Battle" server with one of them? 

Major settings differences would be 50% Self FF, Slowest/Slower Combat Speed w/ Manual Blocking. 

The next key would be the Adminstration of it which feel will be a feeling out process. 
I'm not sure if there is a way for the ID Key check system to be implemented so only players with a "Newer" game could play there.
Otherwise there would just need to be an Admin team watching to ensure better players don't slip in.  The reflective FF will help keep the griefers to a minimum so that would be taken care of.

I realize I'm shooting in the dark here, but I feel it would be a great addition if it could be implemented properly.  It would be the staging ground to advance the newer player to a higher level of play without making the drudge through the near automatic deaths they experience now.

Any thoughts/suggestions/issues?

Best Regards,

-Mad

I'll leave it up to you guys as to how to handle this (if at all) and to continue discussion with him if you think it useful.
Of course, if it comes down to actually setting up another server, getting a dev to actually look into it might be another task entirely.  :razz:

First and foremost, it needs to be enjoyable. The US_S# servers lag with more than half a dozen players on them. They're also all run on the same machine, and I think that might be the root of the problem. Considering most of them are never played anymore, some could be shut down to lighten the load on the machine. Then we might have a playable, and thus enjoyable, server.

After that, I don't see a problem with setting up a newbie-friendly server. I'd check on it regularly to make sure everything's going smoothly.

The hard part here is getting in touch with Dagoth to cut some of the servers off the list, if TaleWorlds is even OK with doing so. I suspect it would be fine, but they have the final say on server decisions.

It might also be worth mentioning at the same time that we (the server admins) still can't modify the ban list. I'd greatly appreciate that privilege if this newbie-friendly server gets off the ground. Mistakes happen, and it's inefficient to jump through hoops to get in touch with a developer to edit the ban list.

Back
Top Bottom