SP Native Battle Morale (v1.5 for 0.960Native)

Users who are viewing this thread

Having them knocked unconscious sounds like it just might be perfect. They'll be offered up as prisoners, as routers should be. And it sounds like it might just be possible since there is a command for it. (what is that command anyhow? might come in handy for manual router extermination  :wink:)

Well KOing them and having them prisoners is great, but ignores the fact that they may just in fact, get away.  Just because you retreat doesn't mean you get caught.  What we need is a distinction between regular KOed troops, and routed KOed troops, and then some way to deal with the routed one, ala half of them make it away, or the cavalry makes it away, or something else similar.

Maybe do it like the Lords? If they get rout K.O.'ed each unit has a 75% chance of escaping, and any escaped unit would form a deserter party. Or maybe even a rout party, where they run off to the nearest friendly town. Of course, after big battles you'll see all these rout parties everywhere. :eek:

So if the Lord was captured, they reform as deserters, otherwise they make a "tactical withdrawal" (Set courage to 1 or something)

Vilhjalmr said:
Hey, Chel. I just saw this, and WOW. This is ****ing amazing. Amazing. I've got a question that no doubt has been asked already too many times, but do you plan to release this as a stand-alone mod for native? If so, anytime soon?

Thanks. :smile:

yeah I was planning to include it Naitve, as an update to M&B Classic mod, but not sooner than 0.952 module system is released :smile:

Hey Chel, just a suggestion.

You know how if you get heavy losses, the men retreat, but not if the enemy has had heavy losses too.

I think you should remove that, and make it so they retreat. For both sides.

Because, wouldn't it be like that in real life? Like, they charge, attack, win/lose, go back to camp, eat up some food, tend to the wounded, etc.

I think, you should have the crate turned into some medical tent or something, (Possible?) and maybe the troops resting there gain health by 5 per minute or something like that.

Anyways, great mod so far.

-Alec

Alec{zacool} said:
Hey Chel, just a suggestion.

You know how if you get heavy losses, the men retreat, but not if the enemy has had heavy losses too.

I think you should remove that, and make it so they retreat. For both sides.

Because, wouldn't it be like that in real life? Like, they charge, attack, win/lose, go back to camp, eat up some food, tend to the wounded, etc.

I think, you should have the crate turned into some medical tent or something, (Possible?) and maybe the troops resting there gain health by 5 per minute or something like that.

Anyways, great mod so far.

-Alec

That effect already exists, through morale checks (which are different from rout checks). Morale checks look at cohesion of each side separately (instead of comparing the two) and as the cohesion of a side decreases it becomes more likely that morale will waver and some troops will leave the fight. I might increase it slightly.

I made a tool that can reassign keys for Battle Morale v1.3.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,37149.0.html

While testing I played a bit.

The fight.Nine light vaegirs horsemen against  baker's dozen of white bandits. We had not perfect start, and  lose a  couple of men in initial charge. My men was waving. But then luck turned to our side, enemy died one by one and now enemy moral was waving. And finally they became flee in terror. It was really fun.

Two things:
Detailed description of mechanics makes game not that eexciting.
Show health is very uncertain for galloping cavalry. Is is possible to add starting speed to health symbols?

Chel, a little update.

I was thinking about Winters suggestion.
basically making 'routed agent boxes' deep underground and teleporting routing troops on the edge of the map there using agent_set_position.

When It reminded me of something Mirathei did in his magic mod.
"Magic Stone. (done)
This teleports its user 50 yards forward in whatever direction that user is looking. The stone itself is also quite destructive. One use only."
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,30512.0.html

Winter had a quick look at it and verified, it's certainly possible to remove routed troops from the battlefield.

<Winterslice>There is absolutely no question about it.

Mirathei released the source here: https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=4&id=616

Can't wait to see what you can pull off with this stuff mate.

Rongar said:
I made a tool that can reassign keys for Battle Morale v1.3.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,37149.0.html

While testing I played a bit.

The fight.Nine light vaegirs horsemen against  baker's dozen of white bandits. We had not perfect start, and  lose a  couple of men in initial charge. My men was waving. But then luck turned to our side, enemy died one by one and now enemy moral was waving. And finally they became flee in terror. It was really fun.

Two things:
Detailed description of mechanics makes game not that eexciting.
Show health is very uncertain for galloping cavalry. Is is possible to add starting speed to health symbols?

That's a handy tool :smile:

Detailed description is more for development, when this is added into the mod, most people who play the mod will not read or know how exactly it works.

There is no easy way to add troop's velocity to the healthbars. I think its okay the way it is, if 50 knights gallop, you can get an overview of their overall health by looking at the bars they leave behind. If you want health of a particular one you'll have to pay more attention or catch him when he's slower.

Taal said:
Chel, a little update.

I was thinking about Winters suggestion.
basically making 'routed agent boxes' deep underground and teleporting routing troops on the edge of the map there using agent_set_position.

When It reminded me of something Mirathei did in his magic mod.
"Magic Stone. (done)
This teleports its user 50 yards forward in whatever direction that user is looking. The stone itself is also quite destructive. One use only."
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,30512.0.html

Winter had a quick look at it and verified, it's certainly possible to remove routed troops from the battlefield.

<Winterslice>There is absolutely no question about it.

Mirathei released the source here: https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=4&id=616

Can't wait to see what you can pull off with this stuff mate.

Yeah, I've looked over Mirathei's magic mode code and learned a few things from it :smile: I know there's code to teleport troops around the map, and it would probably work to teleport troops into some chamber away from the fight (not sure if under ground level would work). But overall this is a rather cumbersome way of doing it, and I'm not sure it is worth the effort at this point.

I like the current system for its simplicity and dynamic reponse to many different battle situtations, and the fact that it is all contained in a particular battle. To include routing to a point of troops leaving the battle would mean tracking them outside the battle, on the world map, and deciding what to do with them there. That also requires a routed/not routed switch on each troop.

If and when I code a tracking of global population (maybe when 1.0 is done), so that it is going to matter much more whether a soldier is killed in battle or routed and escapes, a system for leaving the battlefield is going to add much more, and would be worth doing.

Until then, I am happy with the current system of AI behaviour. Just a couple more things to adjust and I'll update it, include it in a full EGII update, and release the source code if anyone would like to use it (or play around and improve it).

Wow, this mod looks really cool.

Huh...is it bad that I've barely started playing M&B before finding two mods that will change it completely?

Namewithheld said:
Wow, this mod looks really cool.

Huh...is it bad that I've barely started playing M&B before finding two mods that will change it completely?

you can play around with both native and mods, and then see which one is more interesting to you.

Updated to v1.4, included in v4.40 EGII update
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,36643.0.html

changes to Battle Morale:
- Raised limit on waves of automatic reinforcement from 3 to 10.
- Increased frequency of morale checks from every 10 seconds to every 9 seconds.

Download here: https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=6&id=733

The source code is included, later I'll explain how to easily include it

Chel, is this effective only in field battles? A siege version would be interesting, although you'd have to remove the effect for the defenders which may give them too much of an advantage. Would be realistic though and I'd definitely use it myself.

Killerflood said:
will you upgrade this to .95x? it looks good but i dont play .903 anymore  :smile:

not before armagan releases the module system.
For now I find EGII v4.40 for 0.903 a much more interesting game to play than 0.952 Native.

Zaro said:
Chel, is this effective only in field battles? A siege version would be interesting, although you'd have to remove the effect for the defenders which may give them too much of an advantage. Would be realistic though and I'd definitely use it myself.

no, works for sieges as well. For now I just made it harder to rout the enemy in a siege (need a cohesion difference of 60 between two sides instead of 40, but all other effects and features are exactly the same).

I'm assuming the defenders run to the centre of the castle or something along those lines, and the besiegers slaughter them, but if the besiegers run do the defenders sally out to take care of them?

Zaro said:
I'm assuming the defenders run to the centre of the castle or something along those lines, and the besiegers slaughter them, but if the besiegers run do the defenders sally out to take care of them?

The defenders did in one case for me,  but I haven't tested enough to be sure if there were outside factors there.

Updated to improve the behaviour of routed troops, they no longer bunch up in a corner for a terrible and confusing slaughter.
The source code is included with 4.41 version of EGII (and 4.41 patch). I'll post the code on the forum sometime later and explain how to include it if anyone is interested.

edit: the source code and instructions are now posted here http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,38237.0.html

This mod looks phenomenal.  Please please please make this compatible with .955!  M&B fans everywhere will rejoice.  Also, if you'll forgive me for saying so, I think you should send this mod to Armagan to have it included in vanilla.  It adds something tremendous to the game.

If I downloaded EGII very recently, is the routing system already in the mod, or do I still need to download the patch. I'm pretty sure I downloaded it about 2-3 weeks ago, although I might be off a bit.

Deathlordjaffar, check the version of EG2. Most likely you have EG 4.40-4.41; both contains routing system. But versions are a bit different.
EG 2 v4.41 contains battle moral 1.5
EG 2 v4.40 - 1.4 .
There is a also relatively small path  from 4.40 to 4.41 http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,37809.0.html

Back
Top Bottom