Battle layout - Is it possible to create sub-groups and even do it prior to the match?

Users who are viewing this thread

talior3

Recruit
When I'm in battle, there a few groups like cavalry, footmen, bowmen and horse archers that are default to the layout.

But I need something more, like to have one of my companions command over a few sub-groups, which could be composed of different types like both archers and footmen, and me going with other sub-groups from a different angle to basically flank the enemy.

In the party troops menu, I can make every specific type into some formation like skirmisher and then in the battle I will see it as a fifth group, skirmisher.

But say I don't want all veteran archers as skirmisher, just half of them, it's impossible, they will all be of one formation and can not be split.

Also, I would want to have like default types of layouts, say each layout is a certain way of splitting all troops and doing what I mention.

Because sometimes I want different strategies.

Basically I need a more a flexible unit and really battle layout. Am I missing something or is it really non-existent for the time being?

It doesn't exist and I'm not sure it should, micro-managing your troops to such an extent seems like overkill to me.
what do you mean overkill? What kind of a mindset is that to overkill in sophistication? I swear some people don't want this game improved.

It doesn't exist and I'm not sure it should, micro-managing your troops to such an extent seems like overkill to me.
What if I want two equivalent groups of cavalry on either flank? That doesn't seem very micro intensive at all. I feel like half the people play this game purely by charging all of their troops in at once.

What if I want two equivalent groups of cavalry on either flank? That doesn't seem very micro intensive at all. I feel like half the people play this game purely by charging all of their troops in at once.
I suppose the ability to make extra formations in your party window with chosen number of selected troops could work, so that then you could access them in battle by choosing their formation number or something.
But no, I don't charge my troops at once, I usually delegate the command to my companions and just move along with the infantry like a regular foot soldier. :smile:

You can split and merge formations on the battlefield. However, what you are asking would be problematic, because there are 2 types of AI during battle: individual troop AI and formation AI. If you make a formation that is half infantry and half archers, I would imagine that the formation AI would not work as well.

Still, this is something you can try in Custom Battles. Split your infantry and Archery formations in half and merge them together to create hybrids and see how they perform.

You can split and merge formations on the battlefield. However, what you are asking would be problematic, because there are 2 types of AI during battle: individual troop AI and formation AI. If you make a formation that is half infantry and half archers, I would imagine that the formation AI would not work as well.

Still, this is something you can try in Custom Battles. Split your infantry and Archery formations in half and merge them together to create hybrids and see how they perform.
This is functionality I was unaware of. I would prefer not to have to do it at the start of every battle though

I often combine low level melee and archer units to level them up and they perform just fine. Melee moves into melee range and archers stay out of melee as much as possible, even cavalry will still act like cavalry. There were several mods in WB that let you do exactly what the OP is asking for so I see no reason, outside of TW not doing it, that we couldn't.

Back
Top Bottom