Battle Joy perk is broken and needs to be removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

tbh
I am not all aposed passive perks.
Some of the money perks for example can be interesting when they are high risk and high reward.
But overall I am not happy with how they were implemented.
If you add 3 new perks to add variety in gameplay but one of them is so good that you just need to have it that's just bad gamedesign.
Also as I said before perks are indistinguishable which is my personal biggest gripe with the last patch.
I'm not a massive fan of the way they have been introduced. I would have much preferred a 3rd slot was opened up on each class; and that is what held the passive perks. Also some are clearly bonkers right now - but that's a balancing issue not a design one.

the whole perk system affecting underlying core combat mechanics is really bad,

this is the worst thing that has happened to bannerlord since the class system,
I can see how it negatively effects the competitive scene and especially skirmish or duels. But I have to add that in open captain mode it has had a very positive impact, gives you a lot more options for your playstyle and seems to balance a lot of previous issues out.

I'm not a massive fan of the way they have been introduced. I would have much preferred a 3rd slot was opened up on each class; and that is what held the passive perks. Also some are clearly bonkers right now - but that's a balancing issue not a design one.
This was the original "press release" we got, I'll try and dig it out in one the statements (This was back in Jan-Feb). The 3rd perk slot was always supposed to house these passive perks.

I have no idea why they chickened out and glued them onto the 2nd perk slots. Maybe some concerns about them not being visually identifiable.....................but here we are.
Overall, this update has so far done a good job of making perk builds less interesting, but does seem to be more balanced. (Shock meta not withstanding).

Passive perks, especially those that modify global swing speeds, are a waste of the developer's time. Armor exists for protection, everyone can see it. Weapons look bigger or more imposing than others, everyone can see it. But no one can see a hidden percentage modifier that throws every encounter, every duel into a guessing game.

Taleworlds poisons their own formula by throwing in their gameplay the rotten ingredients from other games.

The genius of Taleworlds is that they create great underlying charcoal that is pressed into diamonds by a community of people with clearer vision. Who in the community is stepping up with custom servers? The GK did it beautifully during Warband; who has taken their place? Are custom server tools released to the public yet?

As soon as server tools are in the hands of the community, these issues will cease to be issues. So I implore Taleworlds to not waste more time and money in copying poor ideas from other games and that they instead hone their unique gameplay and make the AI smarter so players can fight more immersive battles against them.

Last edited:
I see this percentages more of an offline mercenary management game, where you balance out pros and cons of perks and develop a specific build of fighters. Percentages on swing, damage etc, feel out of place to me, as they should come already implied in the classes you choose, yet not so acute.
Archers have to be less adaptative and more archer-scum at the moment due to the notorius disadvantage they have in melee, making it more frustrating for both archers and infantry: the first can't hold sudden melee situations as easily as before and they camp and run away to keep harrasing the latter from the distance.

Also Duelist perk is 2 times more broken. The spear infantry gets a good sword with 93 speed and 95 handling+ 72 damage but why not add 10% swing speed and make it 102 (10 speed faster than any other faction in the game). Like whoever invented this please next patch fix it cuz the game is broken and more unbalanced than ever.

You are calling past as 'bad'.
You are tellin that new perks made it 'worse'.
But, you dont say how it can be fun.

Current problem with perks is related with nonachieved "unbalanced balance" goal & culture. They need to give more freedom to player with better units/personalizng.

(
Btw, this kind of clasdifcation for slots would also help fun gameplay=

first perk slot : weapon changer perks
2nd perk slot: class&unit based perks
3rd perk slot: lots of passive perks)

I would say this is a huge improvement over throwing meta, all it needs now is fine tuning and maybe a 3rd slot and more stuff to choose from. Because with 2 Slots, you'll be forced into meta perks however you turn it.

Passive perks, especially those that modify global swing speeds, are a waste of the developer's time. Armor exists for protection, everyone can see it. Weapons look bigger or more imposing than others, everyone can see it. But no one can see a hidden percentage modifier that throws every encounter, every duel into a guessing game.
This. It's merely the illusion of choice in exchange for yet another variable that they cannot possibly hope to balance. Hell, they couldn't balance the game properly without them.

TW needs to stop wasting their time and ours by chasing after a vague and unclear vision for MP with these pointless experiments. Had they listened to players during the Beta we'd have a decent game on our hands by now and would have saved ourselves two years of watching a trainwreck make its descent down a cliff.

Pretty obvious by now that Native will be mostly abandoned once the server files are out.

This. It's merely the illusion of choice in exchange for yet another variable that they cannot possibly hope to balance. Hell, they couldn't balance the game properly without them.

TW needs to stop wasting their time and ours by chasing after a vague and unclear vision for MP with these pointless experiments. Had they listened to players during the Beta we'd have a decent game on our hands by now and would have saved ourselves two years of watching a trainwreck make its descent down a cliff.

Pretty obvious by now that Native will be mostly abandoned once the server files are out.
It can still be saved though and I for once do want a proper and good native module which can be played as 'competitive'. Skirmish has the potential for this and should be developed properly to service that. Then modders can create all the fun modules around it.

It can still be saved though and I for once do want a proper and good native module which can be played as 'competitive'. Skirmish has the potential for this and should be developed properly to service that. Then modders can create all the fun modules around it.
At this rate, the "one life gamemode" will cut the playerbase in half, server files will cut it down even further. The game needs a large increase in players for native to have a competitive scene. More likely than not we'll have many small competitive scenes and eventually there'll be one mod standing at the end that everone will be forced to play. Highly doubt that'll be native, maybe if TW heavily endorses multiplayer and competitive, and advertises with prize pools etc.

At this rate, the "one life gamemode" will cut the playerbase in half, server files will cut it down even further. The game needs a large increase in players for native to have a competitive scene. More likely than not we'll have many small competitive scenes and eventually there'll be one mod standing at the end that everone will be forced to play. Highly doubt that'll be native, maybe if TW heavily endorses multiplayer and competitive, and advertises with prize pools etc.
I heard from NIN9 that the battle mode will be larger scale. It won't be the battle as we know it from Warband, so yeah it will take more players away from skirmish, or the competitive scene. Perhaps the new competitive scene will be semi-large scale battles. Who knows? The developers are not clear about this so at the moment defining this situation as a trainwreck making its descent down a cliff is quite an accurate description. Actually this train has been descending down a cliff for a long time now so its doubtful whether the train will make it up again.

I also prefer the double or triple spawn that skirmish offers rather than the one-life skirmish that native boomers want to enforce upon the community. In my opinion devs just add new useless stuff like those swing speed perks that totally break the game. I just hope we don't have to wait another 6 months for Battle Joy and Duelist perks to be nerfed. Personally I like the current state of the game.

Devs need to remove weapon switch delay, swing speed perks, add couch cooldown,edit the knocked down animations(you get up faster from the ground), increase lenght of vlandian axe(from 62 to 72 on the Sergeant), rework chambers. Once those things are implemented you can work on custom servers it's that simple why nobody listens to me :sad:

Last edited:
I also prefer the double or triple spawn that skirmish offers rather than the one-life skirmish that native boomers want to enforce upon the community. In my opinion devs just add new useless stuff like those swing speed perks that totally break the game. I just hope we don't have to wait another 6 months for Battle Joy and Duelist perks to be nerfed. Personally I like the current state of the game.

Devs need to remove weapon switch delay, swing speed perks, add couch cooldown,edit the knocked down animations(you get up faster from the ground), increase lenght of vlandian axe(from 62 to 72 on the Sergeant), rework chambers. Once those things are implemented you can work on custom servers it's that simple why nobody listens to me :sad:

Skirmish is a lot more action yeah but meaningless action. Your life is almost irrelevant when you've got 3. I understand your perspective but it's not shared. Trickle in fights with crap spawn kills instead of carefully calculated fights that has a clear cut winner, pretty clear to me which one's the winner concept.

At the very least there needs to be more structure to the spawning system, both in timings and in locations. Right now you can either instantly spawn next to the fight or spawn miles away, and it's out of your control (e.g. Echeron the spawns are either next to A or next to C, total opposite sides).

But one life is simply superior imo, kills and outplays have more value, you don't rely on cheap spam vs quality troops, and so on.

At the very least there needs to be more structure to the spawning system, both in timings and in locations. Right now you can either instantly spawn next to the fight or spawn miles away, and it's out of your control (e.g. Echeron the spawns are either next to A or next to C, total opposite sides).

But one life is simply superior imo, kills and outplays have more value, you don't rely on cheap spam vs quality troops, and so on.
Strongly agree to this.

Perks are not MnB, they are a cheap move to try to balance the game.

Also @OurGloriousLeader the spawn system is based on an algorithm which takes into account friendlies and enemies location, last time a developer spoke about it nobody really knew how it worked except for one person iirc.
So don't expect it to get fixed.

Perks are not MnB, they are a cheap move to try to balance the game.

Also @OurGloriousLeader the spawn system is based on an algorithm which takes into account friendlies and enemies location, last time a developer spoke about it nobody really knew how it worked except for one person iirc.
So don't expect it to get fixed.
Spawn algorithm is as reliable as VW claiming they ethically manufacture cars

Back
Top Bottom