Battle death chance should be 5% for the battles that the player is taking part in

Users who are viewing this thread

The problem with this is that it effectively makes you, the player character, the "grim reaper" of Calradia. Basically you can kill more Characters off then the A.I. can in simulated battles, which is empowering yeah. But makes it too easy to save scum things to your advantage if you ask me. (Though you also run the risk of having to replay Sieges - which is a big no for me!)

5% might be tolerable - all I remember was that 10% was absolutely miserable.
10% was really ridiculous I agree, that's why I always put the death chance at half back then. When it was 5% I remember 3-4 companions/family members dying at most during my campaigns (although I usually quit after being an influential lord or a king with a stable-ish kingdom rather than full map conquest), and this made the role playing much better and gave motivation to the player character. It also made you give a damn about enemy lords responsible for the death.

Last edited:
History is full of families/houses/clans being wiped out either in war, by mutual murdering/assassinations or just because man leader preferred man companions. Power doesn't like vacuum. Behind every ruling family there is dozen others eagerly waiting for opportunity to replace them.

5% is based on Science (do you play Fallout?). Currently in the real world about 10% of soldiers hit by bullets die if the best and most modern medic system is available. In Calaradia, as in most video games even without magic hp drinks, there are obviously much better doctors around than in our world, despite living in a dark medieval surrounding. They are surely about twice as good, so you get 5% death chance when wounded. :wink:

Thats not how "science" works. If you wanted to make everything over simplified and "based on science" than every auto calc result would be a 5 man loss per 100 soldiers. You're trying to paste a singular stat (thats not even relevant to the time period) as an overall justification for lazy or uninspired programming. For instance, does the Elite fighting Lord with 5000 Elite company fighting against a poorly experienced/equipped Lord of 200 soldiers also have a 5% chance of dying based on current day soldiers survival rates of being shot and access to medical care? Or the Lord who stays back and commands from the rear the same chance of dying as the Lord who leads the Vanguard charging directly into the fray?

Think about it :wink:

Armor is like health/life insurance. Better the armor, lower the chance to die. If it was not like that, everyone would fight naked 🤭
Maybe a feature of "heavy wound" could be implemented. Lord would not die, but will be incapable to fight again. Of he goes to administration or monastery till the end of his life ☠️.

That would require them to code the lords to have any sense of preservation and considering lords still charge in solo at the start of battles half the time, I wouldn't count on that
and just throwing it out there we could still have deadly combat as while still having living nobles just allow them to leave some units and run to safety while your disorganized from fighting the sacrifice. If there completely cornered the ability for them to just surrender knowing its safer to ride out the war in a cell with the chance of ransom than take there chances of dyeing here. and mercenaries who are more business oriented might be willing to take a bribe to let them go. and with minor tweaks like that we could probably even have a 5-12 percent mortality rate and have combat be deadly but with nobles doing there best to escape consequences. You could even mix in there traits here characters without mercy never surrender (as they're willing to kill there units just to some damage) valorous nobles never sacrifice there men for themselves and calculating lords will try to bribe anyone to get out of a fight and honorable nobles never take or make bribes.

I made a video that breaks down the Death Chance, taken straight from the code. Tell me which part you would suggest be changed.

I made a video that breaks down the Death Chance, taken straight from the code. Tell me which part you would suggest be changed.

Thanks for breaking everything down! I suggest that the "base" chance of death (meaning 0 Med 0 Armor Lvl 1 Age 20) be increased to 5%. This should make all characters roughly 2.1× likelier to die in combat (but not auto-resolve).

Thanks for breaking everything down! I suggest that the "base" chance of death (meaning 0 Med 0 Armor Lvl 1 Age 20) be increased to 5%. This should make all characters roughly 2.1× likelier to die in combat (but not auto-resolve).
I'm not sure if that will really change much. Once you get better gear and higher medicine skill, the chance will still quick drop below 1%. Do you think it would be better to have the minimum possible percentage 5%?
What do you gain by having a higher chance of death?

I'm not sure if that will really change much. Once you get better gear and higher medicine skill, the chance will still quick drop below 1%. Do you think it would be better to have the minimum possible percentage 5%?
Well, I'm not exactly sure how the death chance in combat changed over time, but from what I remember, during EA, the devs first added a universal death chance that was way too high that caused the game to become depopulated over time, and then they changed it to roughly 10% death chance only in battles the player participated in (but I'm not sure if this rate was affected by other factors like armor and medicine), only for the devs to later on implement the current universal death chance which they said was around 2% by default (that you then later identified as 2,39% default).

During the time that it was 10% in combat, I usually played with the death chance at half, which I've found to be the sweet spot of death being common enough that you actually cared about companions and family members when they had a reasonable chance of dying, but not too often that you couldn't be arsed to even hire a companion or get married in the first place (roughly companion/family 3 deaths happened during a campaign). Think of it like a Nuzlocke if you know what it is; you start to really care about a pokemon you otherwise wouldn't if you have a chance of permanently losing them.

The base chance should be low like 1% but for every 10 damage say raise by 1% chance. But then armour should added a -% based on quality also the medical skill should work with the percentage then the total percent could be displayer in the encyclopaedia for each character . I would also like to see near death events that add them beautiful scars in the character creator. The numbers or of the top of my head no thought in the other than how i would like it to work. I added a mod called king slayer and this lets you increase the chance of death for troops and wanders, lords and player. Wanders lords and player i set them to 5% i also added to a mod called surrender tweaks so the npc's value there lives more. I play ironman and yes in my current campaign my created character was killed by a tear 1 troop in a siege " i had my back to a open door on the battlements and the bloody peasant hit me in the neck with a sickle bangs (cuts to death scene lol) the peasant became famous. I now play a my character wife a hope my sons and daughters grow quick. I think the aging needs a slider to let the player decide the aging speed.

Actual stakes. When I feel like an unkillable juggernaut I find myself just riding around killing 30 guys with no care in the world when I eventually get knocked out. I don't worry about my companions because I've lost 2 in my last 3 playthroughs combined. I'm currently playing with the mod that greatly increases the death chance for lords and it's a lot of fun. While you obviously can't have 3 lords die in every battle in the base game, I find myself a lot more interested in battles where I can't over extend because I could actually die.

A few ideas I'd be interested in seeing would be
Overkill increasing chance of death: Couch lancing a lord in the head for 300 damage, for example, should have a bit higher chance of outright killing someone
Falling in battle increases % chance to die: Each time a lord gets knocked out, their chance of death next time increases by a small amount with a reasonable cap.
People listed as enemies on your encyclopedia have a higher chance of dying when fighting you and vice versa: You hate each other. Your troops know you hate each other. It's not unreasonable to think you might order your troops to be a tiny bit more rough with someone you despise.

I had a game where I wiped out Battania and I must have personally destroyed Caladog 20 times without him ever dying. It's just unsatisfying at that point.

i also added to a mod called surrender tweaks

Hey I use that with DeathForAll, love it. It's definitely a feature I feel should have been in the base game.

While you obviously can't have 3 lords die in every battle in the base game, I find myself a lot more interested in battles where I can't over extend because I could actually die

Hey I use that with DeathForAll, love it. It's definitely a feature I feel should have been in the base game.
I use a mod called un landed clans this adds loads of minor clans and a mod that increase the wanders and allows lords the hire there own wanders ( this through as at time left me with on to hire) i also added a heal on hit and made troops heal 1% and wanders,lords,player heal 5% this made the fight like lions. The other mod i tried was ,I don't know if i will get attacked for this but gender-inequality the reason was to keeps the ncps being born. But its no longer up to date. It sort of worked on a long campaign. But that requires a lots of sitting in cities letting time pass. I am trying to make to clan system work and have life and death a big part of my play throughs. A sort of game of thrones no one is safe.

Back
Top Bottom