Battle Brothers

Users who are viewing this thread

I wouldn't say this game is super hard, but it is certainly challenging if you play it like a lot of other tactical turn based games. This one seems to favour a more defensive approach when you're fighting. Keep your men together, make good use of shield-wall and spear-wall abilities, and for the most part you can take on most enemies you'll face. You have to treat your mercenary band as a group that works together rather than individuals who are all badass.

The fact that they show you how to do a challenge where your guys aren't wearing any armour... it's only difficult if you play it like Fire Emblem instead of say a proper S&T type game.

I've been playing it for a few hours now, and it is indeed pretty challenging. The naked challenge would end as soon as you encounter someone else than Bandit thugs and marksmen - even those could kill you if they come in sufficient numbers and/or if you're somewhat unlucky; I mean a new mercenary has 40 to 60 HPs, and the lowest damage weapon, a knife, does between 15 and 25 damage, so 2-3 hits or 1 critical with a knife certainly kills a naked guy.

As far as the map travelling and the missions are concerned it's comparable to M&B. The travelling is more or less the same style with an overhead map, and you and other parties roaming it in realtime, changing to TB for the battles.
Right now there seem to be three different kind of contracts included: protecting a caravan (which is low risk/high revenue at the beginning of the game), travelling to some city/village, and razing an enemy settlement/hideout.
Other than in M&B you only get money (crowns) for completing contracts, EXP is only earned through battle.

I did pretty well with my company, making money by protecting caravans (which hardly got ambushed, don't know if it was luck or just the few enemies on the map at the beginning - one guy got obliterated by a pack of werewolves after leaving the first city in some LP, so probably the former). After doing this for around a week I had reached the maximum of 12 mercenaries which were also sufficiently equipped (at least gambeson and stuff for the melee-guys), so I started doing raze-contracts to gain EXP which worked pretty well, as long as you only accept those with a payment of around 1.000 crowns. It's still possible to get unlucky if you encounter an Orc berserk or warrior or something like that. Since right now there's no penalty for cancelling a contract that's hardly a problem though.

Doing this for another week saw my guys levelled up, and all the melee-guys in at least some sort of mail. Since I didn't lose anyone I decided to go for a challenge and accepted a 2.000 crowns raze-contract. The target was some "Abandoned Graveyard" so the enemies were Undeads, which I had fought before, although only Ghouls and Wiedergänger (as the zombies are called). Both are pretty straightforward: Ghouls are mindlessly rushing you, have no armor and are pretty easily killed as long as they don't eat the dead (which makes them more powerful the more they devour). The zombies are classic ones: slow and dumb.
This "Abandoned Graveyard" also accomotated - beside those two types - three Vampires and a small army of Skeletons. The vampires have high HP, which regenerates when they hit one your guys, and can also manifest themselves more or less wherever they want (and can get away again too, without the free attack for leaving the zone of control) - so don't even think about taking shots with your archer-guys, they'll all end up with a vampire next to them.
The skeletons don't attack mindlessly and form shieldwalls on their own, holding their position while their archers shoot at you.
It was pure luck that I only lost one guy (one of the three founding members), all other guys were injured, 4 or 5 even down to less than 5 HPs.

I continued to do caravan protection and delivering contracts till the guys were healed up and the equipment repaired. Then I started doing easier raze-missions again, levelling up and getting better equipment (although I haven't found any of the real good armor from the scenarios yet). At this point I thought that as long as you avoid strong/dangerous parties/hideouts (all enemy parties/hideouts are scaled: weak-average-strong-dangerous; I'm not sure if this only dependend on the enemies' numbers or their strength too but I think it's only the former) it could become pretty dull if you don't do challenging things on purpose.

Around day 30 I started another caravan-protection contract which would have led me more or less across the whole map. Outside the starting village I first saw that the orcs had begun to establish new (strong) settlements next to the roads, and orc parties roaming around them. Luckily they were only average or weak parties and didn't attack. Up until this point I had only 3 or 4 bandit ambushes against caravans and all of those were either weak or average. After around half the journey I saw the first strong bandit ambush, accompanied by a dangerous one. My company was able to fend them off without loses, although all caravan guards and one of the two mules died. I'm not sure if it's possible to intercept ambushers, I didn't manage it yet.
Shortly before arriving at the target village another dangerous bandit ambush killed the last mule, making the contract void. I decided to continue to that village anyway, only to get ambushed by a strong orc party consisting of a few young orcs, and many berserks and warriors. That was the first battle which lasted more than 20 turns (more than 40 in this case). Although I won in the end all 3 spears and all 4 swords (including a greatsword) broke during the fight, and I lost 4 mercenaries (of level eight). At this point I called it a day but I'm pretty sure the company won't last that much longer anyway.

tl;dr: It starts somewhat challenging, seems to get easier, only to **** you over. I like it.

The big update they've been talking about for months is out.
New Worldmap
A bigger and all-new procedurally generated worldmap comes with new terrain, oceans and shores, and wild and unexplored parts covered in fog. It’s teeming with life as peasants, caravans, ships, hunters, beasts and many more pursue their goals.

New Settlements
Settlements differ vastly in appearance, size, services they offer, men to hire and goods to buy. Fish is cheapest at fishing villages, more metal-based products can be found at mining settlements and you’ll find men with combat experience at castles.

New Contract Mechanics
Contracts are completely redone. You can now negotiate the terms of payment, and every contract comes with twists to spice things up and keep you on your toes. There’s 9 contracts in the game right now, double the amount of before, and we aim to have several times that for the finished game.

Factions & Relations
Noble houses vie for power and cities are ruled by corrupt councils. Meet the leaders of factions on and off the battlefield, make powerful allies or betray them and feel their wrath. All this in contracts we’ll be adding over the coming months now that the system is in place.

Tracking
All parties travelling the world now leave tracks for you to follow or avoid. Different factions use their own footprints so that you can see at a glance whether it’s humans, orcs or beasts who moved though.

Camping
Make camp to have your men recover from their wounds, repair their equipment and have time pass faster. But be careful, the camp fire will be seen from afar and may attract unwanted attention.

A Proper Introduction
The game now comes with a proper introduction and story to set up the mood and ease you into the open world gameplay with useful advice from other characters.

Additional Music & Sound Effects
Five new music tracks join the already hour-long orchestral soundtrack. Orcs got all of their sounds redone, and the game now has a rich ambient soundscape, from birds, to the wind howling, to people in the streets as you visit one of the many cities of the world.

It's pretty good fun, yeah. I just love the visuals.
It has some annoyances in combat that become apparent after a  while but all of them are slated to be fixed. Eventually.

I'm wondering how the whole thing works now, though, or at least what kind of endgame is evident in actual gameplay? Since they got rid of the whole "resist the invasion" type thing they were going for as a greater campaign goal, is there anything that has replaced that on the campaign map or is it just small-scale mercenary work ad infinitum? Because I kind of liked the idea of your small mercenary company trying desperately to save what you could from an enemy invasion.

Did they get rid of it? Shame, I nearly hold off one undead invasion force in a previous campaign and it was the most fun battle I ever had in the game.
They've been hotfixing every other hour since they released the big one so I haven't actually played much since a first cursory glance. A glance that was interrupted by the game reliably crashing every time I accepted a mission :lol:

/edit
Goblins are still the most infuriating ****ing things. ****ing ****stains make me genuinely angry...
They take ages to complete their turns for no ****ing apparent ****ing reason.
There is a ton of them, see above to imagine logical ****ing **** result.
The ****ing poison arrow ability combined with the fact that their ****ing **** crossbows have a higher range than human longbows.
Dunno if I wasn't missing something, but it seems like they can insta-hide whereas humans need to stand still a full turn. See above for ****ed up ****ing combination.

The game still has no way to skip or disable enemy animations.
Considering they have the initiative system I don't see how they could change it to a overwatch kind of way, but holding/defending a position is annoying as hell as you have to redo each soldier's commands each and every round. Even more so with ****ing Goblins.

Did I mention how utterly infuriating Goblins still are? **** Goblins.
If a quest turns out to be about Goblins I actually save-scum. **** that.
****! I am so angry right now it actually makes me laugh :lol:

People complaininig about goblins and **** and here I am gettinh my ass served by common bandits. Shame.

Some time ago they gave up their original plan of introducing some sort of story to the game and decided to concentrate exclusively on its sandbox aspects. Last week there was another pretty major update, introducing an injury system and overhauling the perk system. It's still in early access and therefore might change again.

Since I still have some time of my holiday left I nevertheless decided to do a more descriptive than narrative, picture-heavy and most likely short-lived AAR in some underused part of this forum.

Oh and since I saw my Goblin-related rage post above (**** Goblins), the player has been able to skip move/attack animations for a while now. One of the most needed changes :razz:

P.S.:
**** Goblins.

/edit
So it's not getting lost, the more important post from the last page:
ModusTollens said:
Some time ago they gave up their original plan of introducing some sort of story to the game and decided to concentrate exclusively on its sandbox aspects. Last week there was another pretty major update, introducing an injury system and overhauling the perk system. It's still in early access and therefore might change again.

Since I still have some time of my holiday left I nevertheless decided to do a more descriptive than narrative, picture-heavy and most likely short-lived AAR in some underused part of this forum.

From ModusTrollen's AAR I can see that they still have the incredibly annoying and at times game breaking issue where the game can#t really decide who's the attacker, who's the defender and who's getting ambushed :???:
The thing at the graveyard I mean. To me that usually happened particularly often when attacking (fleeing) fast enemies, the game suddenly and seemingly randomly decides you're actually getting ambushed instead and starts you surrounded by the enemy, out of formation and without fault your best archer will be the most exposed forward position.
Or at least I m hoping it's an issue and not actually some bizarre design decision...

**** Goblins.

Wellenbrecher said:
From ModusTrollen's AAR I can see that they still have the incredibly annoying and at times game breaking issue where the game can#t really decide who's the attacker, who's the defender and who's getting ambushed :???:
The thing at the graveyard I mean. To me that usually happened particularly often when attacking (fleeing) fast enemies, the game suddenly and seemingly randomly decides you're actually getting ambushed instead and starts you surrounded by the enemy, out of formation and without fault your best archer will be the most exposed forward position.
Or at least I m hoping it's an issue and not actually some bizarre design decision...

**** Goblins.
That seems to be only the case for graveyards. It's true that it doesn't make any sense because the first pop-up identifies the enemy, only for the second one to tell you that you don't know who or what you are facing. In most cases it seems that both sides start at a sufficient distance, so there's normally enough time to get into a formation, and the enemy seems to be even more spread out - which doesn't seem to be the case in actual ambush scenarios. For example I had a goblin camp annihilation contract which turned out to be a trap, starting with the company being actually encircled by 19 wolfriders.

It was mostly annoying to me in scenarios, like I wrote, where you are clearly the attacking party, and yet the game sets up an ambush situation (or ambush-like if you will).
The spaced out spawn is annoying as well, but like you said, usually easy enough to work around.
But I really lost count of times where I hunted a fleeing group of, say four low tier human enemies, reached and attacked them and yet the game spawns the four of them spaced out in an even pattern around my twelve guys with all my archers on the outside and in reach of the enemy. Same with goblins and wolves but at least there I could pretend them to be way fast and thus suddenly turn around the attack.
Gamebreaking mostly with Orks, when one should be able to defeat them line to line and yet when the game goes "nah, have an ambush instead" you just get fuuuuuuuuuucked up with no fighting chance.

Wellenbrecher said:
It was mostly annoying to me in scenarios, like I wrote, where you are clearly the attacking party, and yet the game sets up an ambush situation (or ambush-like if you will).
The spaced out spawn is annoying as well, but like you said, usually easy enough to work around.
But I really lost count of times where I hunted a fleeing group of, say four low tier human enemies, reached and attacked them and yet the game spawns the four of them spaced out in an even pattern around my twelve guys with all my archers on the outside and in reach of the enemy. Same with goblins and wolves but at least there I could pretend them to be way fast and thus suddenly turn around the attack.
Gamebreaking mostly with Orks, when one should be able to defeat them line to line and yet when the game goes "nah, have an ambush instead" you just get fuuuuuuuuuucked up with no fighting chance.
Those don't seem to happen anymore (I haven't played that much with the latest patch though), maybe because the parties on the worldmap now seem to keep on fleeing once they started to do so.

The final major update was released in the beta branch recently. It mainly consisted of an overhaul of the undead faction (ghouls are now Nachzehrer and actually dangerous when evolved, Vampires seem to be gone, and the skeletons etc. have different classes and actual lore now - most importantly: **** the Necrosavants).

They also added the possibility to retire at any time - similiar to Mount&Blade but with a bit more elaborate story of what happens to your company after your retiring. There are also three different endgame scenarios (war between nobles, orc invasion, undead scourge) which can either be randomised or chosen at the beginning of the game.
I haven't played the latest version that much and only triggered one of those (undead) yet - seems quite interesting (lorewise and in the resulting change of the gameplay - don't want to spoiler) and pretty difficult.

Since I probably have time and may have the motivation I might start another less picture-heavy but more interactive AAR again. If anyone is interested in being named, wants to choose a banner for the company, and/or wants to plan how to upgrade (perks and armour/weapon) his named mercenary, say so here. As soon as I have enough time I'll post the different banners, the perk-tree and some explanations regarding skills and gameplay.

I want to be a little crusader dude. I also know nothing about this game, I was interested in it back in the day but it sort of fell out of discussion.

Do I have to play Ironman to get the achievements? Just started a quick run and noticed I didn't get the one for the first Direwolf melee kill nor the one for Hoggart.

Wellenbrecher said:
Do I have to play Ironman to get the achievements? Just started a quick run and noticed I didn't get the one for the first Direwolf melee kill nor the one for Hoggart.
Worked for me without Ironman a few patches ago.

Game left Early Access yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom