Battering rams

Users who are viewing this thread

Same problem as OP here, the battering ram was pushed along the 15 meters to the gate but didn't do anything. Did this ever get fixed?

Wanted to make a thread because I was experiencing the same issue and found a way around it.  This occurred at Cathair Chomain in Ireland and the symptoms were that my army would not respond to commands initially - the enemy rushed me while firing arrows and random troops, usually infantry, would go up to meet them in 1s and 2s, there usually being 5-8 of my infantry fighting them at any time.

However, after a certain number of the enemy died, my army immediately charged the gates and began to hack at the door.  The siege engine wheeled up to the door but did not knock it down.  In one instance the siege engine caught fire, or maybe the door caught fire first but either way the door started displaying these fire graphics.  I waited for 10-15 minutes but the door never fell so I reloaded again.

Eventually my troops killed the enemies that sallied out from the castle, rushed up to the castle doors for them to not open again, but I ordered them to follow me up the ladder.  The pathing was very buggy in having them come up the ladder but I found that if you play around with it you should be able to find a spot in which they'll follow you.  Initially, standing right in front of it works, but then you need to move over to the stairs.

Eventually I worked my way around the entire top of the castle ramparts counter-clockwise along with most of my army, marched down the stairs and charged them at the enemy.  Finally won the battle.

In another siege at some other castle the doors burst open but 100 or so of the enemy - 50 for each door - got trapped BEHIND the doors.  It took forever for my troops and them to slash at the doors with little pieces of their swords coming out to finally finish off the enemy.

Sieges really need some attention paid to them guys.  Brytenwalda is fun but I'm gonna try Prophesy of Pendor and see what that's like.  I'd like to play a less buggy mod.  This is a fabulous one though, just improve it where and when ya can.  Thanks for the hard work!

Prophecy of Pendor doesn't have as many custom siege layouts as Brytenwalda, though it is remarkably bug-free and as polished as you can get.

I love the new varied custom siege layouts and especially how well out they are designed (I haven't tried them all yet).  Unlike other custom layouts, these actually create bottlenecks so that the defenders have a chance, yet the archers have the ability to fire at the attackers while still in some sort of cover, giving them protection.  That's really hard to do.  In the native castle siege battles, all you really had to do is bring lots of archers as an attacker and decimate the defenders because the defenders had minimal cover and exposed themselves when firing out.  Same with Prophecy of Pendor.  Some layouts in Brytenwalda have the same problem, but others have high walls and archers fire upon attackers after the attackers enter the gate.

Still there are some pathing issues in Brytenwalda.  One of the most common layouts has ladders, then a mound/slope on the right that attackers can climb to reach a gap in the walls.  What happens is that a lot of attackers get stuck on the slope, making the siege go very very slowly as some trickle in to kill a few defenders or a few defenders move to that mound and get killed.  I think the problem is that defenders spawn on a lower level so that most attackers don't try and climb the mound, they try and run into the mound to get to the attackers (which they obviously can't) instead of climbing the mound onto the walls and then climbing the ladder down onto the field level.  Hope that makes sense. 

I've also experienced troops taking falling damage from the wooden poles that line the paths on the walls.  The fall is literally like 1/4 of a foot, but it causes a lot of damage.  I have troops fall unconscious all the time when they are swinging away and move from the poles to the path and it happened to me also knocking me out.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Tumility said:
... This occurred at Cathair Chomain in Ireland and the symptoms were that my army would not respond to commands initially

... The siege engine wheeled up to the door but did not knock it down.
That is the native AI: the besiegers wait while a few troops push the siege tower/battering ram.
You can't order the troops to begin with (haven't you played a native siege with siege tower?) 
I've had plenty of trouble getting the battering ram to move properly, but it works for me:

Here's how the battering ram works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRi6VYZ0yzI&list=UUuBIBbboBNgT21Oft7vWpMQ&index=3&feature=plcp

It would be great if you can remember the names of the other scenes where there are problems and give a short description of the problem.
Screenshots are also nice.

Looks real good, but that AI is pretty bugged man just standing there while the battering ram goes to town. They aren't even trying to attack your soldiers. The point of them sallying out down the ladder would be for them to try and delay you atleast wouldn't it?

Back
Top Bottom