SP - General Battanian Unit Roster Reform

Users who are viewing this thread

Reiksmarshal

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Battanian Unit Roster Reform

1596b59b34d5deb4b2c7e537da9662dd.jpg

I have always been a big fan of the Celtic warrior culture, but I don’t feel the Battania troop roster delivers and has some huge missed opportunities. The way I would envision this faction is mostly a foot army with very limited cavalry. Their strength would be their nasty range options that are protected by their long spears and polearms like the rhompolia (flax blade on a long stick) or whatever it is called.

Suggestions:

Raider
– I would replace this unit is a long spear / pikeman unit. With Battania fighting with 2 cavalry super powers they need the cavalry protection specially since we have spear brace now!

Veteran Skirmisher – replace this unit with a Hunter unit armed with a bow

Mounted Skirmisher – replace this unit with a Ranger unit armed with a bow, these would be the guardians of the sacred forest.

Scout – Change this unit to Ponyboys based of the Irish Horseboys who were young mounted skirmishers who rode ponies into battle and used javelins while mounted

HorsemanThese would just be a medium cavalry unit kind of like the Scottish cavalry in the movie Braveheart .

Oathsworn – This unit is almost a copy of the Wilding unit, I would have some of them have two handed weapons and get rid of the spears

When playing the faction one of the first things that stands out that this faction unit roster is not that great except for the Fian which is the best thing about the faction.

Looking at their position on the map and reading their part in the Battle of Pendraic, it seems weird to face so many cav units when fighting Battanians, I expected them to more of a defensive mix of skirmishers and infantry.

The amount of cav might be due to balancing for simulation, it looks weird but makes balancing easier if all factions have a closer ratio of troop types.

What I miss from old M&B is RNG troops. You had T1 Khergit with 50% chance being mounted...this was fun and realistic. Nord huscarl could have one handed axe but also two handed axe.
Empire could be more standardized because less "feudal" but other factions could be different. A knight could have a crossbow when dismounted, a ranger could ride a horse.

Looking at their position on the map and reading their part in the Battle of Pendraic, it seems weird to face so many cav units when fighting Battanians, I expected them to more of a defensive mix of skirmishers and infantry.

The amount of cav might be due to balancing for simulation, it looks weird but makes balancing easier if all factions have a closer ratio of troop types.
Yeah that is how I picture them, they currently bring too much cavalry to battle.

This is what I was refering to for replacing the raider with a Long spear/Pike unit
981dpGf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom