Battanian patronymics vs. clan names

Users who are viewing this thread

So I have an interesting lore theory question.

I've been making a family tree to kill time cement my eventual character's place in the lore of low medieval Calradia, and I've realized something. Since the clan was "established" as such, I've been using that founder's name as the clan name and simply giving it to everyone. But do you think... patronymics might actually have a mechanical presence in the game? If so, do you reckon daughters will have their own form? If we could somehow get official word on how this is handled, it'd save me a lot of time fixing all this in the future... To be honest I'd like to see loads of lore dumps, but I get why the team has more pressing matters at the moment.

(For those who might not know, a patronymic is a naming convention whereby, instead of a surname as we know it today, many cultures historically applied the father's name to a child. It pretty generally translates right into "son of X" or "daughter of X". This is, if I'm not mistaken, where most of our Scandanavian "-sson" names come from. In Battania's case, I'm fairly sure the clan naming convention of "fen <Name>" is drawn from the medieval Welsh custom of patronymics "ap/ab <Father>" for sons and "ferch <Father>" for daughters. I believe other Celtic cultures did this as well, lending to a lot of Mac and O' surnames today.)

That’s a really good question I’d be curious to see the answer to. At the very least, I think a mod’ll do it.

I wouldn't get that excited about your character or put so much attention to it, since your savegame will likely die plenty of times during EA, they stated updates will often break savegames so... Don't get too attached :razz:

I wouldn't get that excited about your character or put so much attention to it, since your savegame will likely die plenty of times during EA, they stated updates will often break savegames so... Don't get too attached :razz:

True, but not much of a problem I believe. Good characters deserve many incarnations. I've played one of my favourites through four editions of pen and paper Shadowrun. And in Warband I mostly recreate the same one too, regardless of how many games in how many mods I start.

Oh, don't worry. Gives me an excuse to start a game for everyone at the bottom end of the tree. :grin: John also makes a good point. Best case, the game will let us save our character edits for reuse later.

Back
Top Bottom