SP - General Battania unit roster suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Reiksmarshal

Sergeant Knight at Arms
After playing a few Battanian characters the one thing that really comes to mind is how lacking the roster is compared to other factions. When it comes down to it there is only one unit that matters and that is the Fian units, the rest of the roster feels like a clone for example the Oathsworn and the Wildlings are basically the same thing not to mention the lack of a basic archer unit. With the Battanians being inspired by the Welsh, Irish, Scots, and Ancient Gaul I just want to thrown some ideas out there. That said I have built unit rosters of the Scots, Welsh, and Irish for the Shieldwall mod for TW and had done tones of research and feel I can contribute to the subject.

Tier 1 Battanian Volunteers - The only thing I would change about these recruits is if possible give them slings, the Irish and Picts used them a lot and it would be a good way to make them standout and a good starting place for the theme of the roster. The sling would be one of the most common weapons that farmers and shepherds would have at their disposal for iron age peoples so it would nice to see this as skirmishing is part of their theme.

Tier 2 Battanian Clan Warrior - Unit is perfect as is.

Tier 2 Battanian Wood Runner - Unit is perfect as is.

Tier 3 Battanian Trained Warrior - Unit is perfect as is.

Tier 3 Battanian Raider - I would change this to Battanian Hunters and give them bows and change this path to the achery path with a Ranger unit as the upgrade. Falx units would be moved to melee side of tree.

Tier 3 Battanian Skirmishers - Unit is perfect as is.

Tier 4 Battanian Picked Warriors - Unit is perfect as is.

Tier 4 Battanian Scouts - I would move the Battanian Falxman here and scrap this horse branch altogether.

Tier 4 Battanian Flaxman - This unit will be replaced by Rangers armed with better bows than the hunters they would be upgrading from.

Tier 4 Battanian Veteran Skirmishers - This unit will be the same but I would change their name to Battanian Fian as this name is based off of the famous Irish warriors who fought as skirmishers. The Nobles would use the Welsh term Teulu as it is more fitting both in what the terms means and the longbows are influenced by the Welsh.

Tier 5 Battanian Oathsworn - Unit is perfect as is.

Tier 5 Battanian Horseman - This unit will be replaced by Battanain Veteran Falxman being moved to this slot.

Tier 5 Battanain Veteran Falxman - With this slot being moved to the melee side of the tree this slot would be an upgrade for the rangers, maybe you could call them Battanain Wardens armed with longbows and have the sacred duty to protect the forest.

Tier 5 Battanian Wildings - This is where the cavalry units will be moved I would name this unit Border Reivers or Battanian Reivers this would be the Battanian Horseman essentially.

Tier 5 Battanian Mounted Skirmisher - I would change the name of this unit to Battanian Horseboys to model them after the Irish Horseboys and they would act as the scouts and skirmish cavalry.

Noble Units - I would keep them as they are as they are an awesome unit just change up their name a bit to reflect their proper role.

Battanian Fian - Would change to Battanian Teulu which is a better term for a longbow noble and what the Welsh elite were called.

Battanian Fian Champion - Battanian Teulu Champion or Battanian Penteulu

Here is an image of the current roster.

nCWAHKq.jpg

Last edited:
I think the developers should definitely consider doing this as it would make the battanians so much better and I will make me want to play as them. Personally I would change the name of the nobles to Uchelwyr as this translates as nobles where as Teulu (meaning family) was used for the bodyguards specifically but it still fits well regardless. I also think that there should be more mounted skirmishers with descent melee skill to reflect the love of horses that Celtic people had- the early medieval Welsh, the Gauls and the Irish (Especially after Norman invasion) all had good cavalry- this can be ignored though. Also as a Welshman and a medieval enthusiast, I really enjoy the shieldwall mod for thrones of Britannia and is the only reason I still play that game.

Last edited:
I think you want to look into my troop tree mod. It basically captures what you're looking for.

2121-1602106652-923629324.jpeg

2121-1603633476-187159102.jpeg

2121-1603633476-873224622.jpeg

Battania really does need some love. What we have right now doesn't feel great at all. Until then though, link here.

I think you want to look into my troop tree mod. It basically captures what you're looking for.

2121-1602106652-923629324.jpeg

2121-1603633476-187159102.jpeg

2121-1603633476-873224622.jpeg

Battania really does need some love. What we have right now doesn't feel great at all. Until then though, link here.
That looks awesome, you did a great job with this. As soon as I get a new graphics card I’ll definitely consider this mod.

Back
Top Bottom