Basic Server Guide, All you need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a idiotic question because I did it before, but forgot.

How do you find your port number? I already typed "netstat" in cmd. It showed 5000001 of them....

It is whatever you set it up to be in the script you use to start the server with, its the entry:
set_port 7243

Also, I don't know if this will help out but I sort of organized my .txt file a bit more, need some work on game settings but the general idea is here, might help out. Also... ghost mode 3 is pretty interesting :smile: Anyway:

# -r  command_list -m [modulename]
#*********************************************
# SERVER INFO
set_server_name Reapyland
set_welcome_message Hello World^I'm A server
set_add_to_game_servers_list 1
set_max_players 16 18
set_port 7243
set_upload_limit 100000000
set_server_log_folder server_logs

set_ghost_mode 0  #0 = free

# PASSWORD/PERMISSIONS
set_pass regular
set_pass_private special
set_pass_admin god

set_valid_vote_ratio 75
allow_changing_mission 1
allow_renaming_server 0
set_ban_voteable 0
set_kick_voteable 1
set_factions_voteable 1
set_force_default_armor 0
set_maps_voteable 1
set_num_bots_voteable 0
set_player_banners_allowed 1

# GAME MODE
set_mission multiplayer_dm
set_map_time_limit 120 #5-120
set_respawn_period 3

set_auto_team_balance_limit 3 #2-7 7 unlimited

#set_round_max_seconds 200
set_control_block_direction 1 #0 = auto 1 = manual

#set_bot_count 0 0 #<team> <amount>
set_player_respawn_as_bot 0;

#set_starting_gold 1000 #0 to 1000
#set_round_gold_bonus 1000 #0 to 1000
#set_combat_gold_bonus 100 #0 to 100

set_frinedly_fire 1
set_melee_friendly_fire 1
set_friendly_fire_damage_friend_ratio 50
set_friendly_fire_damage_self_ratio 50

# FACTIONS
add_factions 15 16
add_factions 16 17
add_factions 17 18
add_factions 18 19
add_factions 19 20
add_factions 20 15
set_randomize_factions 1

# MAPS
# multi_scene_1", "Ruins"
# multi_scene_2", "Village"
# multi_scene_3", "Castle"
# multi_scene_4", "Ruined Fort"
# multi_scene_5", "Scene 5 #not ready yet
# multi_scene_6", "Scene 6 #not ready yet
# multi_scene_7", "Field by the River
# multi_scene_8", "Castle 2
# multi_scene_9", "Snowy Village
# multi_scene_10", "Castle 3
# multi_scene_10", "Random Plains (Medium)
# multi_scene_11", "Random Plains (Large)
# multi_scene_12", "Random Steppe (Medium)
# multi_scene_13", "Random Steppe (Large)
set_map multi_scene_1
add_map multi_scene_2
add_map multi_scene_7

start

Thanks everyone for the contributions to this thread. With all your help, and some fiddling around of my own, a good buddy of mine now has what seems to be one of the only west coast US servers up.. Shacknews_USWest

It's Battle time!  :eek:

EDIT: Seems like he's having an issue now of connecting to the dedicated server from his machine inside the network. Did any of the fellas who had this issue come up with a fix?

Reapy said:
It is whatever you set it up to be in the script you use to start the server with, its the entry:
set_port 7243

Also, I don't know if this will help out but I sort of organized my .txt file a bit more, need some work on game settings but the general idea is here, might help out. Also... ghost mode 3 is pretty interesting :smile: Anyway:

# -r  command_list -m [modulename]
# SERVER INFO
set_server_name Reapyland
set_welcome_message Hello World^I'm A server
set_max_players 16 18
set_port 7243
set_server_log_folder server_logs

set_ghost_mode 0  #0 = free

# PASSWORD/PERMISSIONS
set_pass regular
set_pass_private special
set_pass_admin god

set_valid_vote_ratio 75
allow_changing_mission 1
allow_renaming_server 0
set_ban_voteable 0
set_kick_voteable 1
set_factions_voteable 1
set_force_default_armor 0
set_maps_voteable 1
set_num_bots_voteable 0
set_player_banners_allowed 1

# GAME MODE
set_mission multiplayer_dm
set_map_time_limit 120 #5-120
set_respawn_period 3

set_auto_team_balance_limit 3 #2-7 7 unlimited

#set_round_max_seconds 200
set_control_block_direction 1 #0 = auto 1 = manual

#set_bot_count 0 0 #<team> <amount>
set_player_respawn_as_bot 0;

#set_starting_gold 1000 #0 to 1000
#set_round_gold_bonus 1000 #0 to 1000
#set_combat_gold_bonus 100 #0 to 100

set_frinedly_fire 1
set_melee_friendly_fire 1
set_friendly_fire_damage_friend_ratio 50
set_friendly_fire_damage_self_ratio 50

# FACTIONS
add_factions 15 16
add_factions 16 17
add_factions 17 18
add_factions 18 19
add_factions 19 20
add_factions 20 15
set_randomize_factions 1

# MAPS
# multi_scene_1", "Ruins"
# multi_scene_2", "Village"
# multi_scene_3", "Castle"
# multi_scene_4", "Ruined Fort"
# multi_scene_5", "Scene 5 #not ready yet
# multi_scene_6", "Scene 6 #not ready yet
# multi_scene_7", "Field by the River
# multi_scene_8", "Castle 2
# multi_scene_9", "Snowy Village
# multi_scene_10", "Castle 3
# multi_scene_10", "Random Plains (Medium)
# multi_scene_11", "Random Plains (Large)
# multi_scene_12", "Random Steppe (Medium)
# multi_scene_13", "Random Steppe (Large)
set_map multi_scene_1
add_map multi_scene_2
add_map multi_scene_7

start

some intressting stuff,i didnt know there where different levels of admins, such as private regular etc... thats cool =)

By the way, what's the difference between regular and private passes? I saw its in "help" list but didn't compare it.

Nock said:
also there is some hint for welcome-message - you can start new line by ^ symbol.
thread about this - http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,94232.0.html

Sento said:
Is there a Linux dedicated available or will be available, I have a CentOS Linux 5.4 server so any help would be nice :grin:
Now servers supports only Windows OS but in the future (over several months) its may be will support Linux.

But Benedict said below

_Benedict_ said:
Also, a lot of guys pm'ed me with questions about running it under Linux.

Q: Does the server works under Linux?

Yes. The servers is based on Windows, nonetheless you can run it under Wine as a background process, and it works fine, if you have a good machine.

so Apparently it should lol

Basically it won't run directly under Linux.  You can't download linux files and run it on a linux server without a work around.
Benedict suggested using wine which is an emulator for running windows apps on a linux platform.  Emulation requires extra processing though so therefore it would be pretty intensive on your system if you were planning on running a large server.

Ok then this is hopefully my last question lol, are there any known server providers that are going to support Warbands and host it I.E. Primary Target, Gameservers, Escaped Turkey, etc.

think that's one you'd need to PM a dev with.  I've never seen a list anywhere about it.  Doubt they would even know themselves.

You can often email a gamehoster and ask if they can support the game, when it's released of course. Then they can install it. Its usually noted beneath their list with supported games , that you can request that.

Hey spanky, just type 'help' at the server promt and you'll see everything.

From what I can guess, the txt file (like sample.txt) you set up is just a list of commands input at a time there. There is actually a command to just parse a text file of commands in the server too.  So really you are just running down a list of flags and what not being set. But yeah help will show them all... basically they are all mostly get/set functions or all the things that can mostly be changed at the admin panel.

So the different users are much like most dedicated servers. When you assign the number of players on the server you specify two numbers. The first one is the max number of normal players, the second is max number of private players. Now... I think that it works such that if there is a difference there are reserved slots, so when I say

set_max_players 16 18

I assume that normal people coming in with the regular or no password can fill it to 16, but there is still room for 2 more private players. I would have to look at the help command again to double check... it might be that for what I think it is you say set_max_players 16 2  though I'm not sure...something like that, but that is my guess.

Other then that it looks like the parser for the .txt file can handle blank spaces and # comments no problem, so you can add notes and what not to things...though I did have some problems with the values I was passing in to certain commands and I wasn't 100% sure what all the gold setting values are... if you use the numbers I set then in the DM you start out with 10000 gold. If I changed the 1000 to 500 it was 500 gold.

Overall the server is pretty easy to use. I wish I could add more detailed logging... though there is just a handled into the log file and the server will keep writing, so I can see it would be pretty trivial to write additional stat tools if the logs ever get more detailed then what is output in the chat windows.

Help:

Code:
Unrecognized Module_info directive =  use_explicit_couch_flag . Skipping.
 ..WARNING: UNABLE TO MAP GAME SCRIPT CODE:  game_check_party_sees_party
 WARNING: UNABLE TO MAP GAME SCRIPT CODE:  game_get_party_speed_multiplier

P.S. Thanks Reapy!

Ok, im having a problem. I have my sample file below,though i dont think it will help. Any way, i load up the sample.bat and it all goes smoothly. My problem, i dont see it on the server list.I start the search for the internet servers, and they load up, though i see its still trying to locacte 5 others.Of which i assume one is mine, but it doesnt load them. I cant join or see my server in the list. Is it anything in the sample.txt???Help appreciated

set_pass_admin ME
set_server_name SarranidServer
set_mission multiplayer_tdm
set_max_players 64 64
set_map multi_scene_1
add_map multi_scene_2
add_map multi_scene_4
add_map multi_scene_7
set_factions 14 15
add_factions 15 16
add_factions 16 17
add_factions 17 18
add_factions 18 14
set_randomize_factions 1
set_port 7243
set_starting_gold 1000
set_round_gold_bonus 1000
get_combat_gold_bonus
set_num_bots_voteable 1
set_welcome_message HAI!!! You are using my server. Be warned, Sarranids will always be in one way or another....HAVE FUN PEOPLES!!!!
set_control_block_direction 1
start

If you are behind a router you must forward traffic through the router to yoru machine.  Since you set the server up for port 7243, log into your router, find port forwarding and push traffic on that port to your machine's ip and it should show up on the list.

Reapy said:
If you are behind a router you must forward traffic through the router to yoru machine.  Since you set the server up for port 7243, log into your router, find port forwarding and push traffic on that port to your machine's ip and it should show up on the list.
Grand thank you, Reapy!!!

Reapy said:

My router log-on doesn't have the "port forwarding"

Edit: Mes sees. But ping for people is nowhere close to good. Should I buy a server to host it?

Nord Champion said:
Reapy said:

Edit: Mes sees. But ping for people is nowhere close to good. Should I buy a server to host it?

Depends, lag can be because server is working at 100 % and cant handle it or your connection sucks..

you can eaither fix this by buying better connection, upgrading our machine.. or lowering amount of people /bots.

if not then buying server is only choinec :/ and thats not cheap

Spanky89 said:
Nord Champion said:
Reapy said:

Depends, lag can be because server is working at 100 % and cant handle it or your connection sucks..

you can eaither fix this by buying better connection, upgrading our machine.. or lowering amount of people /bots.

if not then buying server is only choinec :/ and thats not cheap

I read your server service. Are you in US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom