Basic Server Guide, All you need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky89

Banned
Okay

I am getting infinitive amount of questions regarding servers. Here is a FAQ i am writing up and a simple guide on how to setup your own server. For detailed guide on how to mod etc. you will have to ask someone else as i have no idea how to.

Oh by the way, stop telling people to send me PM's just send them a link to this thread.

Good luck!

(i will be updating the FAQ when i get more questions / remember anything i forgot)

FAQ

Do servers cost money?

No, the actual server files are free but if you e.g. wish to rent a server from example me or any other server company it costs money. But if you have your own strong computer and a decent connection then the only costs will be your electricity, hardware ware outs and Internet connection; which are all fixed costs except the electricity.

Are you the only one who can give out servers?

No, anyone who has the server files may host a server for you. Just ask them...

But no one wants to give me the server files or host a server for me?

That is because no one has permissions to give out the server files and probably no one wants to give out a server free because it costs money!

How can i get my own server files

Send a PM to Armagan the mighty god, he will not replay you back as he is busy. BUT he will add you to the server mailing list. Make sure you mention your email address when you send for a server request. Keep it simple.. no need to write pages of stuff, its enough with a paragraph.

What are the server requirements for a server of 64 man server

1 server consumes 1 processor Core and 10 Mbits upload connection of your Internet when at full capacity.

Can you run server and play from the same machine or same home network?

Yes, i first ran the server from my personal PC (24 man) and it worked to play from same PC. Also now i got a total of 9 servers in my home netwrok and i can connect to them all.

How to install a server

Make sure your mount and blade folder is up to date to the current game version.

Extract the mount and blade server file (mb_warband_dedicated) into the Mount And Blade folder

Go to the sample.txt file

and write this

set_pass_admin ME
set_server_name MYSERVER
set_mission multiplayer_tdm
set_max_players 64 64
set_map multi_scene_1
add_map multi_scene_2
add_map multi_scene_4
add_map multi_scene_7
set_factions 14 15
add_factions 15 16
add_factions 16 17
add_factions 17 18
add_factions 18 14
set_randomize_factions 1
set_upload_limit 100000000
set_port (YOU DECIDE)
set_num_bots_voteable 1
set_control_block_direction 1
start

make sure your port is open and the right one on "set_port"

and please read the README.txt FILE PLEASE

i cannot help you with more then this. If there is anything more then this you must speak to Cem and not me. I am just a regular dude who simply has read the readme.txt file and opened the correct ports.

Here is the readme.txt written by tales world

good luck with your server now! Technical stuff don't ask me cause i cant help you with that

Taleworlds server guide

In order to start the dedicated server, you should copy all these files to the root of Mount&Blade Warband. After that, you can start your server by running either mb_warband_dedicated.exe or start_sample.bat (or any other similar batch file/shortcut that you create).

sample.txt contains all the necessary commands to start a server.

In that file, every possible mission types and maps are added to the list. In fact, only the last mission type is used by the server. And added maps must be compatible with the mission type. Compatible maps list for mission types is as follows:

Deathmatch & Team Deathmatch:
multi_scene_1
multi_scene_2
multi_scene_4
multi_scene_7
random_multi_plain_medium
random_multi_plain_large
random_multi_steppe_medium
random_multi_steppe_large

Battle:
multi_scene_1
multi_scene_2
multi_scene_4
multi_scene_7
random_multi_plain_medium
random_multi_plain_large
random_multi_steppe_medium
random_multi_steppe_large

Capture the Flag:
multi_scene_1
multi_scene_2
multi_scene_4
multi_scene_7

Conquest:
multi_scene_1
multi_scene_2
multi_scene_3
multi_scene_4

Siege:
multi_scene_3

You can type "help" for getting the list of additional commands.
If you require more assistance, please send an e-mail to [email protected]

Nice.  :smile:

How to make your server run a different module
Put the new module into the modules folder in the server files. Then edit the start server command file so that instead of:
...exe" sample.txt
It says:
...exe" -r sample.txt -m yourmodulename
Where yourmodulename is obviously the name of the module.

Note: If you don't know how to mod, DON'T ask me. Check out the forge instead, everything you need to know is there already.

The first Battlegrounds.eu server was running on a CentOs (i tried it on Ubuntu, also) virtual single core 3ghz machine, with 2 gb ram, hosted by a danish company, and a lot of guys pm'ed me with questions about running Warband servers under Linux.

Here you'll find the answers.

Q: Does the server works under Linux?

Yes. The servers is based on Windows, nonetheless you can run it under Wine as a background process, and it works fine, if you have a good machine.

Q: There's a particular way to obtain this?

Yes. Wine should be launched as console (you don't need the graphics to run the server) with some parameters.
Here's an example:

nohup wineconsole --backend=curses mb_warband_dedicated.exe sample.txt > /dev/null & echo $! >warband.pid

or, if you don't want to run it as background process, simply:

wineconsole --backend=curses mb_warband_dedicated.exe sample.txt

Q: Better Windows or Linux?

If hosting is your job and you're experienced you'll use Linux. This comes natural.

If you're hosting for non-profit:

Windows, just because the server is meant to run with it, and you won't have any benefits in terms of performance by using Linux and Wine. Also, you might have some little problem configuring a lot of stuff.. :smile:

I have a battle server up and running in the Oceanic region and it's all good, low pings, heaps of people are happy with it.

Only problem is, I can't join it. We tried running the client through a proxy server which failed, tried hamachi and it failed, tried add_to_server_list and it failed and of course I tried searching a million times.

I have spoken to a few people and they claim to be able to join their own servers and that they see it in the internet list. It just doesn't make sense.

I have my PC connected to my home network and as is a seperate dedicated server which is hosting warband. People can join the dedicated server, but I can't which I guess is because we have the same WAN IP and hence the interwebz thinks we're the same guy.

But... if it worked with some people, why doesn't it work for me, I am even using a different PC.

Thanks for the information.
Is there currently anyway to join your own server like some other games?

We have a server running but unfortunately It's on the same IP as the hoster and he wants to play.
Any help appreciated!

Doomicus said:
I have a battle server up and running in the Oceanic region and it's all good, low pings, heaps of people are happy with it.

Only problem is, I can't join it. We tried running the client through a proxy server which failed, tried hamachi and it failed, tried add_to_server_list and it failed and of course I tried searching a million times.

I have spoken to a few people and they claim to be able to join their own servers and that they see it in the internet list. It just doesn't make sense.

I have my PC connected to my home network and as is a seperate dedicated server which is hosting warband. People can join the dedicated server, but I can't which I guess is because we have the same WAN IP and hence the interwebz thinks we're the same guy.

But... if it worked with some people, why doesn't it work for me, I am even using a different PC.

Yes, i first ran the server from my personal PC (24 man) and it worked to play from same PC. Also now i got a total of 9 servers in my home netwrok and i can connect to them all.

i am also changing name of thread as i feel anyone can post their server experince here. Not just me...

Doomicus said:

Try this.
As soon as you type "start" to start hosting run to your other pc and click search. You should be able to see it. Also make sure you open the correct port for the correct IP. I have a DHCP server so my IP may change at restart of the machine.

Spanky89 said:
Doomicus said:

i am also changing name of thread as i feel anyone can post their server experince here. Not just me...

Maybe you could post the .bat file you have been running to start the server in case it is a certain configuration that is messing up Doomicus

Thanks for your help so far.

People keep getting invalid authorization key on my server. Not sure what the problem is.

When I try to run sample.bat, I get a RGL ERROR; "Unable to open file: CommonRes\core_materials.brf." I can open the file in openbrf, and I can play the game fine.

Yeah, good idea Sathe.

Here is the commands that my .bat file opens:

set_server_name DojoBattle
set_add_to_game_servers_list 1
set_mission multiplayer_bt
set_max_players 14 14
set_map multi_scene_1
add_map multi_sceme_2
add_map multi_sceme_7
add_factions 15 20
set_randomize_factions 1
set_port 7243
set_starting_gold 1000
start

I have that particular port opened on both my PC and my dedicated server.

I am confused as to how Spanky can connect to his servers.  The issue appears to be that if you try to join your server from behind the same wan ip address the server browser won't see it because to the client PC the server isn't on the outside internet.

spree said:
I am confused as to how Spanky can connect to his servers.  The issue appears to be that if you try to join your server from behind the same wan ip address the server browser won't see it because to the client PC the server isn't on the outside internet.

well, when i have to test a mod, before uploading battlegrounds, i try the mods locally, running a dedicated server on my machine, and access it from warband. using the same ip, of course.

in my opinion, is not a server problem but something about your network config.

I'd be interested in the hardware needed to run a server, do you have some figures on that? Whats the minimum to run a 20 person server, and what do you need if you want 40+? CPU, RAM and Connection - what is primary, what is secondary? Also, is running the server by wine killing a lot of the performance or is it insignificant?

Doomicus said:
Yeah, good idea Sathe.

Here is the commands that my .bat file opens:

set_server_name DojoBattle
set_add_to_game_servers_list 1
set_mission multiplayer_bt
set_max_players 14 14
set_map multi_scene_1
add_map multi_sceme_2
add_map multi_sceme_7
add_factions 15 20
set_randomize_factions 1
set_port 7243
set_starting_gold 1000
start

I have that particular port opened on both my PC and my dedicated server.

Missing the admin password there mate. :wink:

I don't even know how to use the admin password in game, so I haven't had a need for it, haha.

So I set it in my .bat file and then once I have someone in game, how do they use admin controls and enter the password?

_Benedict_ said:
spree said:

well, when i have to test a mod, before uploading battlegrounds, i try the mods locally, running a dedicated server on my machine, and access it from warband. using the same ip, of course.

in my opinion, is not a server problem but something about your network config.

Has to be the issue I guess. I don't know how to go about diagnosing what it actually is though.

Spanky and Benedict - did you run your dedicated servers from separate warband installs on your same machine?

spree said:
Spanky and Benedict - did you run your dedicated servers from separate warband installs on your same machine?

No, is the same install for all. Just running multiple dedicated servers, with different configs, of course.

spree said:

Benedict runs his from same install, but i on the other hand has given everone who rents a server from me a seperat install so they can mod do whatecver they want... so on 1 machine sperat and benedict runs 1 :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom