Base Bannerlord is better than base Warband

Is vanilla Bannerlord better than vanilla Warband?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Lucius Confucius

LeastBlunted
Sergeant
^ As topic describes.

There are so many improvements over Warband in Bannerlord. Take the army system for example, much more convenient and allows for larger battles to happen more often. And with upcoming features such as Banners and allowing us to make Companions into new clans will bring much joy to the game. Inventory and party management is also great.

With Warband I often needed mods to supplement the gameplay, but with Bannerlord I find myself enjoying it vanilla.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Experts agree that the proper scientific word to describe Bannerlord is a "sidegrade".
Better graphics, clans, deaths and births, and minor stuff like crafting, but less varied gameplay, worse arcadey battles and less meaningful NPC interaction. It's like swapping your girlfriend for a prettier, but dumber one. A win for some, but not for many.

Experts on the word "sidegrade". Now try to argue why you think this isn't true instead of less meaningful posting.
Experts of a word are not Bannerlord experts, try again.
I can see where you are coming from, especially if you like multiplayer, that area does need improvements over Warband. But the singleplayer experience is far more improved in Bannerlord.

I would like a middle-term option, both vanilla games have their pros and cons, what baffles me is that warband, that is a 10+ year old game still has some better systems and balancing than it's sequel, bannerlord should at the very minimum keep the same level as warband and obviously take many of it's features to the next level.

What is it? Better now in 2021? Wow, but that's hardly an achievement. Do we really compare those games as their state is today?

In all those categories Warband performed better in 2010.
IGN Review

Let's get straight to the point. Mount and Blade: Warband is not the prettiest game on the market. If games were women, Mount and Blade: Warband would be that girl with a hormone disorder that made her have kind of a beard.
and
At its best, Warband looks like the missing link between Morrowind and Oblivion. At its worst – which is basically any indoor location, most towns, and the overworld – it looks like it was released a decade ago. Character models and structures all have quite low polygon-counts, and most walls have pretty low-rez textures. Open areas look a great deal nicer, but even then, there's never a jaw-dropping or even a "ooh, that's pretty!" moment.

Warband had better character, but it looked absolute dog****.
Now, Warband cant update its graphics but Bannerlord can update its character.

Regarding ladders:
Singleplayer is extremely fun, but not without its flaws. If you ever find yourself laying siege to a castle that requires a ladder to breach its walls, it's almost guaranteed that your allies will somehow forget how to walk up a ladder, and block all of the other units, including you, from making any progress. This is exceptionally annoying and can end up getting many of your units killed because they just stand there waiting for the chump blocking the only entrance to get out of the way. Quests also haven't gained any real depth since the original, and although there is now a romance quest section that has interesting political implications, the actual romance component is shallow and requires little more than frequent lady-visits and some poetry-learning.

warband had better character, but it looked absolute dog****.
except Bannerlord looks absolute dog**** too. Just look at the terrain textures. At least Warband's artstyle had character with the wacky character models / animations
Now, Warband cant update its graphics but Bannerlord can update its character.
Yeah but it won't, as is evidence by the devs' "vision"

Experts agree that the proper scientific word to describe Bannerlord is a "sidegrade".
Better graphics, clans, deaths and births, and minor stuff like crafting, but less varied gameplay, worse arcadey battles and less meaningful NPC interaction. It's like swapping your girlfriend for a prettier, but dumber one. A win for some, but not for many.
Not a sidegrade for me. Putting MP and ongoing balancing to one side, BL's main deficiencies IMO are:
1. weak formations and tactical ai;
2. unimmersive dialogue and NPC interactions; &
3. no incentive to explore great settlement scenes.
However, these were also poor in Native Warband.

What is it? Better now in 2021? Wow, but that's hardly an achievement. Do we really compare those games as their state is today?

In all those categories Warband performed better in 2010.
.....? How else should we compare them?

It doesn't matter how well they 'performed' in 2010; we don't live in 2010. it's 2021. The question isn't hypothetical; right here, right now; bannerlord Vanilla offers a better experience in these regards then Warband.

It doesn't matter how well they 'performed' in 2010; we don't live in 2010. it's 2021. The question isn't hypothetical; right here, right now; bannerlord Vanilla offers a better experience in these regards then Warband.
Then it's the same as a bunch of teenagers comparing their sisters to their grandmothers.

EDIT: But still the year to date... I have not been recently (still play it) bored with any Warband iteration (vanilla, moded, DLC) as I am with Bannerlord.

EDIT2: Warning a trap!. This thread is the same **** but served differently. @Lord Grainwad is literally quoting himself from "Bannerlord is a grift" or similar...

Last edited:
You know I never played base Warband. I jumped immediately into mods like Floris and A Clash Of Kings, which added features that seem to be part of base Bannerlord now.

I don't even know what base Warband was lacking compared to Bannerlord. Maybe I should fire that old game up and check it out without mods.

Then it's the same as a bunch of teenagers comparing their sisters to their grandmothers.

EDIT: But still the year to date... I have not been recently (still play it) bored with any Warband iteration (vanilla, moded, DLC) as I am with Bannerlord.

EDIT2: Warning a trap!. This thread is the same **** but served differently. @Lord Grainwad is literally quoting himself from "Bannerlord is a grift" or similar...
Arnold: Hey who would you rather snog. Dave's sister or his grandmother?

Freddie: His grandmother. She was way hotter back in 1960.

Arnold: ......

You know I never played base Warband. I jumped immediately into mods like Floris and A Clash Of Kings, which added features that seem to be part of base Bannerlord now.

I don't even know what base Warband was lacking compared to Bannerlord. Maybe I should fire that old game up and check it out without mods.

Prepare for an eye-opening experience....

Back
Top Bottom