Base Bannerlord is better than base Warband

Is vanilla Bannerlord better than vanilla Warband?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Either way, what emerges from this thread (and the subtext of the poll question) is an argument for just waiting until they stop patching Bannerlord so that the full array of mods can present themselves. Because there’s no real question that late stage modded Bannerlord > EA Bannerlord, right?

Either way, what emerges from this thread (and the subtext of the poll question) is an argument for just waiting until they stop patching Bannerlord so that the full array of mods can present themselves. Because there’s no real question that late stage modded Bannerlord > EA Bannerlord, right?
Yes and equally it will be modded Bannerlord > modded Warband at some point with such a broad consensus that threads like these would be locked as obvious trolling.
But in the meantime the Bannerlord gift/grift wars will continue and people will demand feasts as a proxy for meaningful interactions.

Warband was made by less than 10 people, more than 10 years ago and with a budget probably also atleast 10 times less.

And even then Warband still had a couple of better gameplay elements.

Experts agree that the proper scientific word to describe Bannerlord is a "sidegrade".
Better graphics, clans, deaths and births, and minor stuff like crafting, but less varied gameplay, worse arcadey battles and less meaningful NPC interaction. It's like swapping your girlfriend for a prettier, but dumber one. A win for some, but not for many.

That sounds right.

What a strange thread - what are you hoping to achieve/gain from it?
giphy.gif

Experts agree that the proper scientific word to describe Bannerlord is a "sidegrade".
Better graphics, clans, deaths and births, and minor stuff like crafting, but less varied gameplay, worse arcadey battles and less meaningful NPC interaction. It's like swapping your girlfriend for a prettier, but dumber one. A win for some, but not for many.

This is correct.

.....? How else should we compare them?

It doesn't matter how well they 'performed' in 2010; we don't live in 2010. it's 2021. The question isn't hypothetical; right here, right now; bannerlord Vanilla offers a better experience in these regards then Warband.

No. It really doesn't offer a better vanilla experience. If you're hell bent on graphics, sure, but it is comical how bad it is compared to Warband's vanilla depth, such as with characters/NPCs, and gave incentives to roam about. Their quests were a lot better too, and dialogue while it had grammar mistakes, had character and charm. With the exception of BL's graphics and a bigger engine for battles, it does nothing else better than Warband and if it had people would be talking about Bannerlord as much as they do about Warband or even half as much. Instead, it was hyped for a month and then no one outside of this forum even talks about it. It's been largely forgotten, because it is forgettable.

Last edited:
Experts of a word are not Bannerlord experts, try again.
I'm a notaryBannerlord expert
I certify this is a good description of the situation. Specifically your new dum girlfriend is a horse archer. If you like horse archers you'll have fun but
if you think they're disgusting you will miss warband.

It is better because in Bannerlord that wife can create a dynasty, give you a family to care about.
In warband husband gave me free garrisons for life! Also there's zero content for families in Bannerlord to make you care about them or want a dynasty, I can paint the map by the time a kids is 10. Will they add more?..... who knows but there's nothing to get exited for announced yet and definitely nothing good in game for your dynasty.

I would like a middle-term option, both vanilla games have their pros and cons, what baffles me is that warband, that is a 10+ year old game still has some better systems and balancing than it's sequel, bannerlord should at the very minimum keep the same level as warband and obviously take many of it's features to the next level.

A better comparison IMO would be when Bannerlord is fully released. There are clearly features missing, most notably the Battle Terrain system.

Other "fun" features like feasts should also be added in.

Perhaps one of the most in demand is eventually third party server support.

I see where are you coming from. In what particular way is it better?
  • I can totally AFK the awful late/end game grind of M&B in BL whereas the idiots in WB can't be trusted to finish off a faction with two castles left.
  • AI is actually affected when I BTFO five of their armies in a row and raid every last village they own, unlike WB where they take about seven days before miracling themselves a whole new party.
  • Being able to actually siege out a settlement is nice. In WB it was literally impossible.
  • If I can't starve out a settlement, I can knock down a wall and just walk in, instead of the man-sandwich of Warband.
  • Not having to hunt the guild master or village elder in every single new settlement scene is nice. Quick Talk? Even nicer, especially back when scenes took a few minute to load on my laptop.
  • Recruitment is better in Bannerlord; pick and choose rather than get what I get and don't throw a fit.
  • Bannerlord got rid of the stupid tax skills like prisoner and inventory management. After improvements it is literally impossible to **** your build up in Bannerlord and you can have some builds up and running in under an in-game year.
  • The factions are better balanced against one another, instead of the snaggle-toothed troop trees of Warband that had almost everyone stampeding towards Swadian Knights or Nord Huscarls.
  • Companions are more useful (generally) and less annoying in BL.
No. It really doesn't offer a better vanilla experience. If you're hell bent on graphics, sure, but it is comical how bad it is compared to Warband's vanilla depth, such as with characters/NPCs, and gave incentives to roam about.
Like what?

• I can totally AFK the awful late/end game grind of M&B in BL whereas the idiots in WB can't be trusted to finish off a faction with two castles left.
  • AI is actually affected when I BTFO five of their armies in a row and raid every last village they own, unlike WB where they take about seven days before miracling themselves a whole new party.
  • Being able to actually siege out a settlement is nice. In WB it was literally impossible.
  • If I can't starve out a settlement, I can knock down a wall and just walk in, instead of the man-sandwich of Warband.
  • Not having to hunt the guild master or village elder in every single new settlement scene is nice. Quick Talk? Even nicer, especially back when scenes took a few minute to load on my laptop.
  • Recruitment is better in Bannerlord; pick and choose rather than get what I get and don't throw a fit.
  • Bannerlord got rid of the stupid tax skills like prisoner and inventory management. After improvements it is literally impossible to **** your build up in Bannerlord and you can have some builds up and running in under an in-game year.
  • The factions are better balanced against one another, instead of the snaggle-toothed troop trees of Warband that had almost everyone stampeding towards Swadian Knights or Nord Huscarls.
  • Companions are more useful (generally) and less annoying in BL.

Like what?
+1.

Native BL early mid game is pretty cool. WB graphics are just too inferior for my eyes.

Speaking of base games alone? I agree, Bannerlord is generally superior.
But... there's big but(t.) This is all while *not* considering two very important things:
-Bannerlord's relative age compared to Warband's.
-Bannerlord having been made by a much larger company, with much more resources at their disposal.
Considering those, Bannerlord is a disaster compared to Warband. An absolute disaster.

First post, best post. Bannerlord is a sidegrade for the reasons you mentioned, and also its continuing problems with balance, bugs, and missing a group of Warband quality of life/immersion/variety features. Once these issues are resolved we can safely call it a straight upgrade from Warband.

Ngl, I guess there is one fundamental misunderstanding that I have with a lot of other people on this forum. I don't understand when people tout that WB had much better immersive features than BL did. I kinda see them as being basically the same. Dialogue is corny in both games, and while the lord recruitment system focuses more weight on relationships than just making you bankrupt, I don't know much else beyond that. Like, please point to me the biggest immersion features in WB that are missing in BL that actually have an effect on gameplay.

BL isn't perfect. There are a lot of features that I would personally like to be added to the game that is not currently on the list, and there are a lot of features that have yet to have been added or are still broken, however, I really don't get the pedestal that WB gets put on. It is a great game, but I really feel as if the amount of time spent in WB has tinted people's perception of BL.

@Lucius Confucius dev get off your alt account
Maybe keep your quips and insults contained to just one thread Roy - you begged me to leave the other one because you were getting upset. Stay in your safe space; and I'll stay out of it.

No, because I can at least get some fun out of vanilla Warband.

Vanilla Bannerlord is literally unplayable.
You don't understand what the word 'literal' means. Unless you think 12k people are just sitting looking at the main menu right now....

Back
Top Bottom