SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Barter for Minor Faction Troops

Users who are viewing this thread

Oi folks,

In my games, I often end up declaring war on minor factions in order to capture then recruit their troops. I also release their captured leaders so being at war with them increase my reputation with them and give me their troops. Since this is possible and a weird way to obtain these interesting troops, I would like to make this suggestion :

A barter option with Minor Factions so you can trade goods and denars for their recruits (they could be really expensive). Since they are mercenary clans, I reckon this would be a more natural way to obtain their troops than declaring war on them.

Side suggestion to make Caravan Guards recruitable if you walk around town.

P.S. Both of these suggestions have something in common : Some things are available to NPCs but not for the player. If 29 Caravan Guards can be hired for 15,000 denars when you set up a Caravan, brilliant, but the player should have that option too! A lot of armours are available to lords and top tier troops that I haven't seen once in 50h of game. (I read somewhere that this could be related to Clan Tier, if it's confirmed that's fine actually!) I really love things being expensive and really hard to achieve, I just want the options to be there.

Thank you for reading, cheers!

Last edited:
yeah agreed - either that or provide 2-3 notables scattered across the realm that provide these troops; these would be really valuable to keep on side.

Perhaps a "feoderati" mechanic could be introduced to the minor factions? They get money from one of the main factions in exhange for allowing that faction to recruit troops from them, and perhaps join the patron's wars with their own parties?

They get money from one of the main factions in exhange for allowing that faction to recruit troops from them, and perhaps join the patron's wars with their own parties?
I like the idea of tying it to the hiring Faction, but I would still make the recruitment through Bartering, like how we can already Barter for the other party horses, etc. Minor Faction could have some recruits up for bartering but only available to the Faction presently hiring them!

It would also make running through towns more entertaining and useful if these minor factions had mercenary offices established in certain cities. And just like you can find Mercs in taverns, you can see if anyone is available there when passing through.

Im not gonna mask it: I’m not happy about the fact that camelry is not a really a thing at this stage. The Byzantines and the Sassanids (Empire and Aserai) both use Camelry as part of their regular military organization. So it’s sad that this was not included as part of their trees.

I like the idea of tying it to the hiring Faction, but I would still make the recruitment through Bartering, like how we can already Barter for the other party horses, etc. Minor Faction could have some recruits up for bartering but only available to the Faction presently hiring them!

Yeah that makes sense to me.

My idea was that minor factions would not only be mercenaries for hire but that first a faction need to make them their feoderati, and then we can start getting their troops, and perhaps that each minor faction can only be feoderati to a single major faction?

Or if we should get really complicated, then it could be that the hiring faction spawn a number of recruits from the feoderati faction for hire in their cities at a regular interval in exchange for a solid set of money from the hiring faction to the minor faction.

Minor factions as a whole need a lot of love.
I want to join them, support them, etc. They're incredibly underutilized at present.
Agree 100%

Or if we should get really complicated, then it could be that the hiring faction spawn a number of recruits from the feoderati faction for hire in their cities at a regular interval in exchange for a solid set of money from the hiring faction to the minor faction.
I quite like that idea! In the end, as long as we have at least one other option than killing them for recruitment, I'll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom