Siege Baravenos Encirclement

Users who are viewing this thread

baravenosencirclement.jpg

Please leave all map-related feedback for Baravenos Encirclement in this thread.

minimap_Baravenos Encirclement.jpg

Last edited:
This is the only map for siege where battleye is crashing and thus the server (thats what I expierienced so far) never mind, happened on another map aswell, but its still happening on this map the most.
There should be much more (or only) spawnpoints inside the castle at the beginning of the round. Else attackers are able to rush G and if you have no one who's able to open the gate or door from inside, then the round is lost in two minutes.

You can barely get up here. Maybe make easier to get up or make it completely impossible please.
a6416ce327e11f59e13817a6cd5197b3.jpg
]

You can fall through the roof in this corner, but you are able to get out later.
8015f078282bc596e0ca6af4a93c65c1.jpg

24940181d2a1628abb58a53b6706513c.jpg

Last edited:
As attacker I love the tunnel. I feel fine here to attack. A lot of possibilites to come into the castle. Nothing to complain, just that some ladders and ways up don't work correctly.

As defender you have the problem, if the attackers sneak to G and you are outsite the castle, you can go inside again, if nobody open the gates. Also I tried to die and respwan in castle, but I respawn everytime infront of the castle (No flag was taken by attackers).
I have the feeling, if the attacker are already in the castle (After A is taken), i have the possibilities to defend all points inside. Can't complain.

• The right side (defenders perspective) cavalry door is behind most of the 'ninja' caps. Lone cav can sneak in the back and defenders can't get back to defend because the double doors at B and the main gate are one-way. It would need testing, but you might just be able to remove the double doors at B since they're don't do much in my experience and would be easy to choke-point for defenders regardless.
  • Defenders can spawn outside in the little barn even when large parts of the map are being overrun. Not nice to spawn surrounded by enemies if you're on defense, and not nice to have enemies spawn behind you if you're on attack.

The "secret" door to tunnels by the rocks to the right when players are attacking is too hidden. Frequently, unless a player tries through chat to get other to help them, the round will complete with almost no one using them. The map has a problem with attackers trying to force their way through the middle, so changes that emphasized to players to use flanks at start (Perhaps change spawn areas?) would be beneficial. Similar problem is the ram getting pushed up to central defender point and destroyed every round because of this issue.

So with this Beta branch, I tried to address some balance problems and issues that were brought up here. Overall the map is in good shape but some glaring issues like the defenders being locked out, or those rouge keep flag captures were causing some frustrating games. Also I wanted to look at the right tower of the castle (where the siege tower lands), since the fights there became awkward from time to time and the tunnel entrance was a bit too out of the way.

1. Changes to Defender Spawns

Defenders now only rarely spawn in the front bailey
(at flag A), but more spread out inside the castle. This should help with them being involved in fights outside the main castle and make it easier for Attackers to capture A, while making it harder for them to sneak by. Defenders still can use the door to the outer bailey and defend A of course. So there should be some intense fighting happening, but not as one sided as it was. A nice side effect on that could be that the ram now reaches the gate more consistently without getting overrun.

2. Changes to the side gate

The side gate on the far left of the castle has been “removed” and replaced with some rubble, so you can't get in through that way anymore. The former side gate had its hitpoints slightly reduced and was moved in front of the keep entrance.

This should make it harder for attacker cavalry to take control over the inside of the castle too easily and prevent those crazy flag captures.
SfNEw51.jpg

eCpLQ0p.jpg

3. Changes to the right tower

The right tower (where the siege tower lands), only had a weird ladder leading to the upper wall. It was way too easy to defend and forced players into the interior, instead of giving them the opportunity to gain control of the upper wall and the flag there. Now there is a staircase near where the ladder used to be leading upwards. It will still be hard to fight through there, but at least attackers won't have to use a ladder and be unable to attack or defend properly.
FYZZ5oj.jpg

Detail shot:
Q7oA3WN.jpg

4. Underground Tunnel Change

Overall the function and layout of the tunnel is the same. The main entrance however changed quite a bit and it is now more obvious. This also means that defenders have a better view on it (or the players attacking the door that defends it), so that they can react to it more appropriately.
A08lwCI.jpg

5. Visual changes + performance improvements

The map was using loads of the old trees and shrubs, they have all been replaced with better looking and optimized equivalences. Also the season changed to spring, so there will be a lot more flowers and blooming flora. Also some distant flora has been removed to increase the performance overall.

Last edited:
1. Changes to Defender Spawns

Defenders now only rarely spawn in the front bailey
(at flag A), but more spread out inside the castle. This should help with them being involved in fights outside the main castle and make it easier for Attackers to capture A, while making it harder for them to sneak by. Defenders still can use the door to the outer bailey and defend A of course. So there should be some intense fighting happening, but not as one sided as it was. A nice side effect on that could be that the ram now reaches the gate more consistently without getting overrun.

As of 1.4.1 this is still a huge issue in a 30 vs 30 siege. If not a lot of defenders die, still spawns at the front bailey.

this is my least favourite siege map, even after the update. mainly because of the design of the keep (and it crashes most of the times).
but lets start with the minor flaws.
bara1.jpg

it does not take that much and you are stuck for a while.
bara2.jpg
it it should be destructible, otherwise it is quite hard to destroy the ballista behind it.
bara3.jpg

why does this bother me? because the ballista can snipe the catapult crews with nearly no risk.
bara4.jpg
bara5.jpg
the gap is wide enough but however you can not pass it. this would be a nice secret path to bypass some of the defences at point A.
bara6.jpg
if if you try to jump over it, you can be trapped inside of it.
bara7.jpg
even if the flag is contested, defenders can still spawn in the room on the right side.
bara8.jpg
the obvious entrance is the gate (1), where you are under constant attacks from the gatehoue and the defenders spawn left on the left side.
the other options are the wall walks (2) (3)
the one on the right (2) is easily blockable by a shield and on the ladder you are an easy prey for the archers at the defender spawn point.
bara9.jpg
then there is another one on the left side (3)
bara10.jpg
as attacker you spawn in the courtyard at this point. so you have to go back to the gate to get on the walls and go through the spawn area of the defenders to point G.
bara11.jpg

Hey,

The new gate that you added in to G makes stealing even worse, as the attackers will just close the gate and it is unable to be opened or destroyed by the defending side. Gets quite annoying but should be an easy fix.

Hey,

The new gate that you added in to G makes stealing even worse, as the attackers will just close the gate and it is unable to be opened or destroyed by the defending side. Gets quite annoying but should be an easy fix.

^^

He is absolutely right. The "G gate" is straight-up horrible for the defenders. It helps the defense in zero ways, and serves as the attacking side's best friend. Because the gate only works one way, once the attacking side reaches G flag they can simply shut the gate and reap an easy win, since the defenders spawn outside the gate. This is unbalanced.

Hey, so a quick rundown of the changes that are already on the beta and will be coming to live soon.

There have been loads of problems with the last flag (G). I tried to address it by adding a gate in front of it, but that did much more bad than good things. With the new iteration, I drastically changed the G flag. First by adding a new way in for defenders:

0A5W8dO.jpg

With this wall breach defenders now can more easily access the G flag with a one way drop. This will make the end fight there much more dynamic. The makeshift wooden bridge over the breach can be destroyed by the attacking siege engines, making it harder for the defenders to man the walls.

maxKjHm.jpg

Obviously this needed to come with rearranging the spawn points. As you can see, the breach is right next to one of the main spawn points of the defenders. Those have been moved over a bit, so you don't spawn right next to the flag.

Outside of that, I addressed many issues mentioned in this thread, fixing bugs, making it so the terrain doesn't shine through the underground on low settings and most importantly made many wooden structures destructible (around the defender siege engines)

Back
Top Bottom