Bans for in-game chat

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, I'm not sure if there's been any word on this yet. But TW took a pretty harsh stance on toxic behavior during the closed beta -- threatening to revoke a person's key if they were found to be particularly bad -- and I think that's a good thing. They should take a similarly harsh stance in the full game and dole out bans with at most 1-2 warnings for things like all-caps spam of racial hate messages etc. If they don't take a firm stance against it, that's what the game's multiplayer will become. There are a lot of normal people like me who just simply won't play a game's multiplayer if the company behind it doesn't clean up the trash.

So I'm curious, what punishments are currently in place for bad behavior, and what can we expect in the future?

Would also like to know what TaleWorld's stance on this is. Needless to say I won't be spending much time in a multiplayer setting if it's going to be allowed to turn into a recruiting grounds for racists where they can say whatever they want.

Would also like to know what TaleWorld's stance on this is. Needless to say I won't be spending much time in a multiplayer setting if it's going to be allowed to turn into a recruiting grounds for racists where they can say whatever they want.

Man, you're gonna be really surprised when you hear about the main demographic for M&B players. Medieval games lure these people in like sirens do sailors. It's gonna continue to happen and I really doubt TW are gonna do squat. Best to wait for private servers.

Man, you're gonna be really surprised when you hear about the main demographic for M&B players. Medieval games lure these people in like sirens do sailors. It's gonna continue to happen and I really doubt TW are gonna do squat. Best to wait for private servers.

Yes. I'm aware, unfortunately. It's one of the reasons I quit Warband's multiplayer.

Oh, I'm not surprised, but TW has a great opportunity to make them feel entirely unwelcome. That's exactly why they should ban for hate speech.

Even if they do, they're a vocal majority, they'd complain or just make loud noises over any other opinions on threads and discussions.

I remember playing NW years ago that every regiment was content with racial slurs and stuff being thrown around like it was normal, every single one. I really doubt anything will happen, sadly. I know my clan won't accept this ****, at least not in any public setting, let's just hope the player base has grown up, haha.

I remember playing NW years ago that every regiment was content with racial slurs and stuff being thrown around like it was normal
Yes, that's the result of letting racists know they're perfectly welcome to take everything over by refusing to ban them. That's why these people should start catching bans. It really does work. The idea that they'll just get louder and more obnoxious and start flooding everywhere else if you stand up to them has been disproven many, many times. They're cowards, first off, and lazy in addition. They might make a bit of noise as soon as the bans start coming out, but if you hold firm they generally go away. If they're not welcome in Bannerlord's multiplayer they'll all filter back out to the various multiplayer games that do welcome them, and good riddance.

Player base don't grow up, new generation replace the old ones, and try to be even more edgy than last one. It's normal behavior, they later on grow up eventually (or not).

What is surprising, unique snowflakes that got their feelings hurt also grow up (or not, alas) and get some skin eventually too (or, you know, mute chat, it's mostly pointless in this game anyway - hope there will be some good signaling added eventually).

Only a tiny percentage of any playerbase actually behaves like this. If there is a mute function and it actually works(Warband's didn't since the person could just keep changing characters and they'd be unmuted), you can curate your own chat and not have to put up with any content you personally don't like. Wasting TaleWorlds' time chasing bans and getting misunderstood people banned isn't in anyone's best interests except the perpetually offended who seem to exist to ruin the banter and ****posting in the chat.

I actually dont use chat much besides giving orders sometimes.
Its pointless to fight with people online in chats, but Im totally against bans for speech.
You should have the possibility to ignore players which act like total ******, that should be enough.

Look at games like League, or DotA, or Warband to see how that "tiny percentage" runs rampant when you don't do anything to suppress it.
I have over 6000 hours in Dota 2, and I only see racist content in the chat once out of every ~100 games. It takes me less than 3 seconds to mute said people and the problem is 100% resolved for me.

What is this "rampant" you're talking about, exactly?

It's possible that Valve has started to clean up a bit better -- I know Riot has with League. Which only proves my point more. When you actually focus on banning these people, the problem improves. Surprising!
I'm talking even about 5-8 years ago. I still don't see why time and money has to be wasted for the sake of you or I spending 3 seconds clicking the mute button on someone, and the negative side effect is people getting banned for misunderstood banter and ****posting which is a thing I enjoy seeing very much.

I'm talking even about 5-8 years ago. I still don't see why time and money has to be wasted for the sake of you or I spending 3 seconds clicking the mute button on someone, and the negative side effect is people getting banned for misunderstood banter and ****posting which is a thing I enjoy seeing very much.
Hey, I'm not really interested in arguing about why it makes me feel unwelcome in a gaming community if the company behind the game implicitly endorses hate speech. Just know that it does, and that most normal people feel the same way. That is the choice being made -- cater to racists and other bigots, or have a community where the rest of us feel welcome. That's all.

I agree, for public severs at least, muting chat would be suffice, as Sudenki mentioned it would be almost impossible for them to deal with people without systems in place. Ultimately when it comes to individual communities it's up to the players and administration to police behavior. Smaller communities often become rather toxic overtime due to lax administration, so trolls/racists etc become a rather vocal group.

Thankfully, there should be many private communities to choose from, at least from the start.

Hey, I'm not really interested in arguing about why it makes me feel unwelcome in a gaming community if the company behind the game implicitly endorses hate speech. Just know that it does, and that most normal people feel the same way. That is the choice being made -- cater to racists and other bigots, or have a community where the rest of us feel welcome. That's all.

Just wanna note that not banning everyone/anyone who says something on some subject is not endorsement of that subject.
You don't go around thinking certain free-speachy governments endorse certain ideas because they don't arrest People who say certain things every time they step foot on the street.
Server by server is one thing but when you've already been the perfectly functional way of holding tab, clicking their name and hitting mute, taking someones 40-60$ away because they said stuff that irks you or threatening not the use the product.....
Just mute them and move on. It's much easier than ignoring them irl, and then everyone gets to have their cake and eat it too.
Unless your goal is just to deprive people who you believe believe things you don't believe of their video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom