SP - General Bannerlord's Gameplay Has Gone Backwards In Multiple Areas From Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah, I feel for them because it wouldn't be easy to communicate with everything on such a wide scale project, but considering some of this stuff is literally basic stuff that was from the first game made 10 years ago it's weird that they can't just say "yes".

They already said "no" to some of it.

Which in particular, and where was it said?

He avoided specifics (on purpose):
Having said that, I do not think that all warband features will find their way into bannerlord and those that may are likely not a high priority at this point in time.

The context was someone bringing up the previous thread with a similar list.

Hopefully Taleworlds does something about this, I knew Bannerlord had devolved from Warband, but not even have BREAD in the game?! What is this?! Along with all the other foods of course and spices.

Yeeman! Where is our ****ing BREAD? This is exactly why I gave the game a negative review, no bread = red thumb.

What do you mean? I dont understand how you can read a "no" anywhere? Also it feels like you're trying to spread you interpretation across the whole forum and I'm pretty sure most people doesent interpret it the way you did. There's simply not a "no" anywhere, he only said that he belives that not all features from Warband will make it into Bannerlord, that's literally everything he said.

Edit: Also "He avoided specifics (on purpose):" He said he wont make a list because people like you exist, as he said "If some things are missing from the list people will interpret that as it wont be in the game" It's literally people like you he's talking about. Hecking kek.

What do you mean? I dont understand how you can read a "no" anywhere? Also it feels like you're trying to spread you interpretation across the whole forum and I'm pretty sure most people doesent interpret it the way you did. There's simply not a "no" anywhere, he only said that he belives that not all features from Warband will make it into Bannerlord, that's literally everything he said.

In a response to (paraphrasing) "have you seen this list of features people are requesting?" that he said that he didn't think all of them would make it.

edit:
Missed it on first readthrough, but there was the more specific 'not planned' about dueling over women.

Edit: Also "He avoided specifics (on purpose):" He said he wont make a list because people like you exist, as he said "If some things are missing from the list people will interpret that as it wont be in the game" It's literally people like you he's talking about. Hecking kek.

I didn't say anything missing from the roadmap won't be in the game. That was a troupe of the usual suspects, who'd just finished doing what they do best because things weren't included in the roadmap.

Last edited:
They seem to have finally ironed out the vast majority of the crashes.

At this point I feel the developers are probably (or should be) working on:
1. Dynamic economy: They've stated in other threads that they're currently testing economy fixes in-house. After a few years in game every castle/city is basically sitting at a painfully low prosperity level due to unfinished issues and constant village raids in the 24/7 murder/raid fest the game currently is. Cities that start out in the 5,000 to 7,000 prosperity range are often down below the 2,000 range after a few years in game currently. Which then makes workshops worthless as they won't make anything over Tier 1 or 2. Plus you don't make enough tax money to support a real army and garrison either at that point.

2. Performance issues: Something happened in the last few months, and there's now a lot of stuttering and freezing for tons of players. Even players who have several gigs of excess ram and top tier video cards are having issues with freezing/stuttering. I'm not sure if they just need to re-compile their graphics DLLs with the newest updates from Nvidia/AMD for their compiler, or if there's an actual engine programming issue. But perhaps they need to talk to the Nvidia/AMD driver teams and sort out these issues.

3. Pathing: Really need to make troops smart enough to use ladders and 3-ladder siege towers properly. On castles with level 3 walls, I now only use trebuchets to blast holes in the wall before I start the siege, as having my troops go up 3 ladder siege towers 1 at a time to instantly die to the 5 guys waiting at the top of the ladder leads to army-destroying casualties if the battering ram doesn't make it to the gates without being destroyed.

After those issues are solved, I'd suspect that the developers will start adding in nice features like those requested which are probably lower priority than the above.

I already saw that- not sure where in that discussion someone brought up a "similar list", but at any rate he may as well be talking about something as simple as, say, right-to-rule not returning because they are already replaced by similar mechanics. Which I'm fine with, as opposed to stuff on this list not coming back.

The lords dueling part is concerning though. They say "not planned at this time" rather than an explicit deconfirmation, but the fact they're "not planning" to replicate a good feature people liked from the prequel is problematic in and of itself.

Last edited:
Imagine making a sequel to a game and then saying you're not going to implement mechanics from the previous game. What in the hell.

battle scenes https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/battle-scenes.415641/#post-9555311

I honestly didn't realise how bored I was until I went back and tried old warband / viking conquest. If it's so easy for them to make scenes how come there are only a handful?
Well, to be fair, field battle scenes were randomly generated in Warband's engine. I too would like to see more battle scenes, but thankfully that's something they've confirmed they're working on.

Well, to be fair, field battle scenes were randomly generated in Warband's engine. I too would like to see more battle scenes, but thankfully that's something they've confirmed they're working on.
If they were able to randomly generate maps on Warband, WHY ON EARTH don't they do the same in Bannerlord ? This is a completely idiotic decision I can't understand. No fixed amount of map can not feel repetitive in a game with literally hundred of battles, and having a map generated according to the actual terrain you are on, is much more immersive and consistent than picking one pre-rendered that you can see elsewhere.

I really, really don't get it. Even Creative Assembly noticed how stupid it was to only have premade maps in Shogun Total War 2 and went quickly back to automatic generation...

If they were able to randomly generate maps on Warband, WHY ON EARTH don't they do the same in Bannerlord ?

With the new AI tactics system, you have to setup where defensive positions, chokepoints, retreat paths, etc. and such are beforehand. There isn't a way to automate it to my knowledge, and I've spent the last few days digging around the scene tools looking for it.

And sometimes you'd get goofy, almost unplayable mountain battle maps out of the blue in Warband.

If they were able to randomly generate maps on Warband, WHY ON EARTH don't they do the same in Bannerlord ? This is a completely idiotic decision I can't understand. No fixed amount of map can not feel repetitive in a game with literally hundred of battles, and having a map generated according to the actual terrain you are on, is much more immersive and consistent than picking one pre-rendered that you can see elsewhere.
Random gen without a lot of time and effort into it just makes for bad, bland empty looking games. Just look at No Man's Sky. If Taleworlds makes enough handcrafted battle scenes by the end of EA, we won't feel the need for random genned ones.

I don't necessarily agree that if you have 50 handcrafted battle scenes that you're going to find it repetitive to fight on them, say, 400 times; that's on average 8 playthroughs of each scene, and you probably won't even notice which ones you're re-playing since at the end of the day it's just rocks, grass, and trees, and maybe some rivers/snow here or there.

So I can live without Warband random mapgen coming back, so long as they make plenty of handbuilt scenes to replace them. Keep in mind that real life doesn't have randomly generated fields either.

Last edited:
If they were able to randomly generate maps on Warband, WHY ON EARTH don't they do the same in Bannerlord ?

They've been using a third party software called world machine to design terrain. It's very good, but you can't just attach it to a game.
That said most of the maps seem to be using world machine simply as a base with their own manually designed terrain on top. I haven't looked into it much but it feels like they're using a mixture.

And sometimes you'd get goofy, almost unplayable mountain battle maps out of the blue in Warband

This is a very fair point and something I think many people are forgetting.

I don't like Bannerlord's lack of variety when it comes to battle scenes, but some of the random maps generated in Warband were absolute cancer.

They didn't make any sense either. My army would engage an enemy on slightly hilly terrain on the world map, but the battle map Warband would generate made it seem like we were fighting on the summit of K2.

It was completely unplayable.

Bannerlord needs to add new battle scenes, but they should also make sure they are functional as well.

They've been using a third party software called world machine to design terrain. It's very good, but you can't just attach it to a game.
That said most of the maps seem to be using world machine simply as a base with their own manually designed terrain on top. I haven't looked into it much but it feels like they're using a mixture.
yeah but idk what they are doing right now with the graphics though. The game looked really alright before and was running like a clock. Now its more filled with ugly bushes everywhere, bad lighting etc etc.....its like they are trying to over do the sceneriers and the game is starting to stutter in my end because of this some patches ago.
Dont get me wrong.... i think they had done some good works on graphics to and they are prob testing em selves forward..... but for me that isnt something important in this game (well now it is though) but i rather see that M&B soul they are famous for

I'd love to see all the OP's suggestions implemented, when the main features and bugs are ironed out. But I'm happy with pre-set battle maps compared to whatever the mess was that we had in warband. I'm guessing a lot of modders will make fresh new maps, and although we don't want TW to rely on modders to fix their game we all know that a huge part of M&B's success has been the modding scene.

World Machine gives you heightmaps and color maps and that's all. For that purpose they can use anything they want. For rest, they are handcrafting everything.

but some of the random maps generated in Warband were absolute cancer.
I do get that some of the randomly generated maps were painful in terms of spawn points and such. Too much slope, weird angles etc. But most of the time it was okay. And I choose that over this weird terrain based system. At least it was "accurate" based on where you are standing. Now you are getting random forest terrains even though you are definitely at plains or vice a versa.

Creating a procedural terrain isn't a super easy feat but it's not black magic either. Procedural terrain heightmaps are a thing and you can always do auto hydraulic erosion on terrains which make them look more natural.

there isn't a way to automate it to my knowledge
Inside the engine, there are no features like that. But it's not impossible for team to make it. After all, they own the engine and all terrain specific data is inside the RGL as well. Perhaps they still have it inside the RGL but don't want to bring it up since they somewhat invested time on those battle scenes. However, based on the terrain features, these points can be added on the fly. Detecting a hill on a data set is literally a Graduate Software Engineer interview question. So I'm fairly confident that they can find that, as well as forested areas, shores, etc. They just don't think as 'priority' I guess.

Keep in mind that real life doesn't have randomly generated fields either.
True but that's a bad argument to support random terrains ( not randomly generated but random terrains from a list of handcrafted ones, it is not realistic at all either )
If you want an easier solution, then they can simply take high-res Calradia world map data into game and create battle maps based on where you are standing at that second. This, again, partially procedural. Not random, but at least still generated on-the-fly. This exact implementation is inside the Rome II Total War(or Rome I : TW), by the way - if you want to take a look. Based on where you select, it generates a heightmap according to world map heightmap data in it. i.e. if it's half shore, it's half shore exactly like that - it also includes tiny cool details like having wonders like Colossus of Rhodes visible on shores if you are fighting on a field that is close to it.

Back
Top Bottom