SP - General Bannerlord's camera system needs major improvements

Users who are viewing this thread

Noudelle

Grandmaster Knight
This thread is a re-post of a thread I made for the multiplayer section of the forum. While the issues listed below are more disruptive in multiplayer, I believe they are significant enough to warrant a separate thread in the singleplayer section, for the sake of giving these issues more attention.

This video shows what happens when the camera collides with walls and compares it to Warband.

When walking back into a wall in Bannerlord, the camera pulls down closer to your character's head.
This is why it's so difficult to see anything when backed up into a wall in Bannerlord. It's especially infuriating since Warband already got this perfectly.

I assume that the intent behind this is to allow vision of your own character when this occurs, unlike what happens in Warband where the camera doesn't move, but you can't see your character. Ask yourself what's worse:
No vision of your own character, but clear vision of the action [Warband]
OR
Clear vision of your character, but unclear vision of the action. [Bannerlord]

Taleworlds seems to think that seeing your own character is more important, which I strongly disagree with. I don't need to see what my own character is doing because I'm the one controlling him. I know what my character is doing because I'm the one doing the input.

If you're prone to motion sickness, you may want to take it easy with this video. It shows how many of the world's props interfere with the camera in sub-optimal ways to say the least.

In my opinion, this is unnaceptable for Bannerlord where close-quarters combat is common. I find it difficult to enjoy siege at all due to how janky the camera handling is.
I won't repeat what I've already said in the video, so I'll skip right to what I propose to improve these issues.

1- Disable the camera collision on small objects such as poles and railguards as well as some specific rooftops and ceilings
2- Make objects that are between your character (poles, beams, railguards, outdoor rooftops, doorway ceilings, tarps) and the camera transparent, so as to give clear view of your character and their surroundings, while still displaying everything for clarity purposes.
3- Improve the camera collision detection to be less finnicky. It constantly gets stuck in very small objects that aren't even close to it sometimes. Doorways and staircases are particularly problematic. This one is easier said than done, but I'm sure improvements can be made.

To give you an example of what I'm reffering to in suggestions 1 and 2, here's how Dark souls 2 does it:

Lastly, the camera position shift upon kockdown is mighty annoying and adds nothing interesting. Here's a video of it:

Getting knocked down by horses is already frustrating enough. There's no need for a disorienting camera movement as well. Because your camera is so close to the ground, it can get really hard to see what's happening around you. Sometimes your vision will get blocked by dead horses or obstacles which is just awful.

I'm both surprised and disappointed that the camera, an incredibly important part of any game, has barely been discussed at all within the community. Controlling the camera is something everyone does 100% of the time while playing M&B. It should be a priority for Taleworlds to make using it as smooth as possible.

Please fix.

2- Make objects that are between your character (poles, beams, railguards, outdoor rooftops, doorway ceilings, tarps) and the camera transparent, so as to give clear view of your character and their surroundings, while still displaying everything for clarity purposes.

Instead of making the objects/camera transparent:
  • Smother transitions in doorways... – instead of pop ups. For example: As you stand closer to the doorway the camera view drops smoothly, and as you get farther away it goes up progressively, with no quick pop ups.

Back
Top Bottom