Bannerlord was a grift

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
557 days since Early Access. That’s 13,368 hours (remember that stupid book you had to read in middle school that said you will become a “master” if you practice something for 10,000 hours?), or 802,080 minutes, or over 48 million seconds. To the TW simps/defenders, I’d just like to ask this question: do you really think that is an appropriate amount of time for what we’ve gotten throughout Early Access, which, at the best and most generous interpretation, is minuscule?

To put this into perspective the development of Bannerlord has been over 4,000 days. That’s pathetic for what we have. At this point, I have a new theory: TW is roleplaying as the Ottomans during the siege of Candia, the longest (over 21 years) siege in recorded history. Maybe they have been convinced for some reason Crete will be annexed to Turkey if they drag out development? Idk, it’s a better explanation than what we’ve been fed.

557 days since Early Access. That’s 13,368 hours (remember that stupid book you had to read in middle school that said you will become a “master” if you practice something for 10,000 hours?), or 802,080 minutes, or over 48 million seconds. To the TW simps/defenders, I’d just like to ask this question: do you really think that is an appropriate amount of time for what we’ve gotten throughout Early Access, which, at the best and most generous interpretation, is minuscule?

To put this into perspective the development of Bannerlord has been over 4,000 days. That’s pathetic for what we have. At this point, I have a new theory: TW is roleplaying as the Ottomans during the siege of Candia, the longest (over 21 years) siege in recorded history. Maybe they have been convinced for some reason Crete will be annexed to Turkey if they drag out development? Idk, it’s a better explanation than what we’ve been fed.
"Don't worry. One of the next patches will ease all of your fears and transform the game in a decisive and epic way." ?

Yes, yes, it all makes sense now. It's a plot, Taleworlds is secrelty owned by the government of Turkey and Bannerlords is just part of their informational warfare against the people of Crete, soon the Bannerlord players from Crete will give up and move, Turkey will annex the island and replace the whole population with Turkish players. But why the rest of the world you ask? -snipped- It all makes sense now! How couldn't I see this clear connection between Taleworlds and the government of Turkey, not even the fake moon landing is as obvious as this one!

Last edited by a moderator:
you do know the game is not really out right ? its still in early access / beta stage and they are still working on it...
i don't know how old you are but it was the same with M&B , and that game is awesome

So...when is the cut off for when this is no longer acceptable? After twenty years of development?

"Don't worry. One of the next patches will ease all of your fears and transform the game in a decisive and epic way." ?

"Taleworlds is already doing great, just look at the playerbase!"
cover2.jpg

Yes, yes, it all makes sense now. It's a plot, Taleworlds is secrelty owned by the government of Turkey and Bannerlords is just part of their informational warfare against the people of Crete, soon the Bannerlord players from Crete will give up and move, Turkey will annex the island and replace the whole population with Turkish players. But why the rest of the world you ask? -snipped- It all makes sense now! How couldn't I see this clear connection between Taleworlds and the government of Turkey, not even the fake moon landing is as obvious as this one!
jim-carrey-cringe.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
me yesterday:

i feel like playing bannerlord today for the first time in many months! *starts game*
oh yeah you only get 1 attribute point per 4 levels lol i cant believe they havent changed that yet or at least implemented a way for the player to change it *installs tweaks mod*
5 minutes in- *tweaks mod crashes*
"alright im gonna go play something else thats more fun than troubleshooting mods"

by the way do factions still tend to bulldoze the entire map? this **** basically ruins the entire game if the map becomes imbalanced and factions get destroyed early.... i needed mods to fix the balance and i still need them, it seems? but the mods crash, so... no bannerlord yet i guess.

the mod im using is 'Kaoses tweaks' for 1.6- would it help if i changed to 1.6.0 beta branch version instead of current version?

by the way do factions still tend to bulldoze the entire map? this **** basically ruins the entire game if the map becomes imbalanced and factions get destroyed early.... i needed mods to fix the balance and i still need them, it seems? but the mods crash, so... no bannerlord yet i guess.
That hasn't been happening for close to a year at this point. It was fixed back in December.

thats good. i wouldnt know since tweak mods are necessary for a number of other reasons, i dont even bother trying to play unless i can get mods to work. i always made town and castle garrisons slightly stronger and with more elite units so they change hands less frequently

My main issue with NCP's

The problem is that none of them stand out they look different but they all act the same. Same dialogue same actions regardless of traits. A coward and a brave ncp are the same and honourable and dishonourable ncp are the same. It would be good if the traits open up different dialogue options and different available actions like Honourable may give you the ability to offer a duel instead of a mass battle or in battle challenge and leader to duel. Dishonourable may let you hire spies to spread rumours on other lords. The ncps could have and use these abilities. It doesn't have to exactly this but you get my drift.

Now it has been five months since this thread was opened. No meaningful change, especially on the multiplayer front (it’s actually gotten worse). TW simps: how much longer do we have to wait?

If you look at 10x50 cents' helpful (unlike this one) thread, you'll see how his color coded list shows some moderate progress in the last half a year.
Checkmate TW haters.
Hold up. A Dance With Dragons was released on July 12, 2011. Napoleonic Wars was released on April 19, 2012. There are 282 days between those dates. "Mount and Blade" has thirteen letters. Bannerlord has ten. 13 X 10 = 130. There were (and are due to Early Access) two stand-alone Mount and Blade games, the original and Warband, so 2 X the 130 we have already came up with = 260. This is where it really gets interesting.

The Napoleonic Wars ended in 1815. There were 26 Marshals of France. Divide 1815 by 26 and you get, rounded up, 70. There were seven coalitions against Napoleon. Warband has seven letters. Concidence? Obviously 7 is important. So, if we divide 70 / 7 we get 10. Add that to 260 and we are up to 270. We are getting close.

Viking Conquest is a DLC released for Warband. It was based off of the mod Brytenwalda, which has eleven letters. Add this to 270 and we are at 281.

There is only one company developing Bannerlord, and that is Taleworlds. 1 + 281 and..........

we are at our number of 282.

What does this mean? As Napoleonic Wars released 282 days after the last A Song of Ice and Fire release, it is only natural that Bannerlord will release 282 days after the next A Song of Ice and Fire release. We've been going after the wrong target. TW isn't to blame for Bannerlord's trash heap of a "game", it's George R.R. Martin. He has to release Winds of Winter for the game to be good. WE HAVE TO TELL HIM!!!!1!

Hold up. A Dance With Dragons was released on July 12, 2011. Napoleonic Wars was released on April 19, 2012. There are 282 days between those dates. "Mount and Blade" has thirteen letters. Bannerlord has ten. 13 X 10 = 130. There were (and are due to Early Access) two stand-alone Mount and Blade games, the original and Warband, so 2 X the 130 we have already came up with = 260. This is where it really gets interesting.

The Napoleonic Wars ended in 1815. There were 26 Marshals of France. Divide 1815 by 26 and you get, rounded up, 70. There were seven coalitions against Napoleon. Warband has seven letters. Concidence? Obviously 7 is important. So, if we divide 70 / 7 we get 10. Add that to 260 and we are up to 270. We are getting close.

Viking Conquest is a DLC released for Warband. It was based off of the mod Brytenwalda, which has eleven letters. Add this to 270 and we are at 281.

There is only one company developing Bannerlord, and that is Taleworlds. 1 + 281 and..........

we are at our number of 282.

What does this mean? As Napoleonic Wars released 282 days after the last A Song of Ice and Fire release, it is only natural that Bannerlord will release 282 days after the next A Song of Ice and Fire release. We've been going after the wrong target. TW isn't to blame for Bannerlord's trash heap of a "game", it's George R.R. Martin. He has to release Winds of Winter for the game to be good. WE HAVE TO TELL HIM!!!!1!

I see it all now. I'm enlightened.

I hate how TW are developping the game, we cant get normal update in already 2 month. The only big feature is a RETURNING one with companions - nobles

somewhere I feel sad to tell myself that I'm happy to see this feature when we already had it in the first mount and blade.

this development is so sad that we rejoice for crumbs

This is a thread going into more detail on a post I made last month here.

I will avoid the usage of the word "scam" as that could be seen as disingenuous and possibly libelous, even though as I will outline below, the figures are roughly correct, and it isn't libel if its true. Nevertheless, I'm going to lay forth a claim that Bannerlord, at least in its current state (And, as far as we know, the past few years) was simply a grift. Here's why:

Part 1. The Financial Breakdown

There will be bold in statements which are amendments to my previous post, or things needed to be added.

The average game developer in Istanbul (similar to Ankara) makes about 60 Turkish Lira an hour, which equates to about 7.05 USD, with an average pay of 125,000 Lira per year (about 14,500 USD). There are 131 employees at Taleworlds as of 2020. Therefore, the employee pay would be roughly 1,899,500 USD, probably a little less or more based on currency exchanges. I am not sure about Turkish tax law, but assuming their payroll taxes are roughly the same as the US, lets say 10%, rounding up lets say 2,200,000 for payroll and payroll taxes per year. Overhead is somewhat difficult to calculate, but I would put their facility costs (With electricity, which is cheap in Turkey) is probably around 5,000 a month, that is just a rough estimate based on how many employees they have and how much square footage they would need. So, overhead would be roughly 60,000 USD a year. To be conservative and account for accidents/miscellaneous expenses, lets put their expenses aside from marketing at roughly 2.5 million USD.

Bannerlord has sold between 3-5 million copies, according to steamdb and steamspy. At an average price of $45 (it depends on region, some places sell for less, some like pound and euro sell for more), after Steam's 30% cut, this leaves Taleworlds with roughly $31.50 for each sale. To be conservative, let's put it down to $30. With roughly 4 million sales, Taleworlds has made roughly $120 million in revenue from Bannerlord. Bannerlord has been in development since 2012 as far as we know, lets give them 2 years pre-announcement of development, which equals 11 years. Assuming 100% of their time at Taleworlds was devoted to Bannerlord (which it wasn't, warband was still in development well during this time period), this means that 27.5 million dollars was spent in expenses, lets double that for marketing. This expense of 55 million yielded them 120,000,000, which, with much wiggle room, cushions and conservative estimates, 65 million dollars (likely more because I doubt taleworlds spent that much in marketing, and salaries are probably less than I calculated, could be as much as 100 million USD). I may have gotten some calculations wrong along the way, and I may have estimated poorly, but no matter what, that is a lot of profit for the garbage can/excuse for a game that we got.

Part 2. Gameplay Features, or lack thereof

The gameplay of this "game" is, to put it lightly, lacking. There are more than enough threads to complain about the bare-bones, hollowness of the game. I am not a singleplayer player, I like multiplayer. The lack of multiplayer support for this game is at this point astounding and legendary. The fact that modders for various projects are simply waiting on Taleworlds to just let them get their hands on it so they can improve the game for everyone's enjoyment is beyond me. It is so snail-brained and what few "Explanations" taleworlds has given are vague and meaningless. They use a lot of words to say nothing.

The recent patches to the game have improved almost nothing, and the dev diaries show us no hope. With feature after feature being cancelled or postponed, it seems like Taleworlds is just doing nothing while goading us to trust them, holding a carrot in front of our eyes. Not even heraldry can be fixed.

tenor.gif

Part 3. Bannerlord Online

The lack of support for the Bannerlord Online mod, made by one random Russian guy in a basement, an absolutely gorgeous mod with so much ambition and potential, but most importantly what the fans wanted. The ambivalence towards it by Taleworlds shows, after years of people begging for co-op campaign somewhat proves that Taleworlds doesn't give a damn what their fans want or think. This is the most egregious example, but there are more. Gone are the days of improving upon mods like Mount and Musket, in with the days of "WE KNOW BEST **** OFF MODDERS!"

Part 4. Time

Bannerlord took forever to release and it is still in early access. You would think that a game with more time being tacked on to development would be better, not worse. But here we are, 11 years later, with nothing to show for it. What were they doing all that time? Twiddling their thumbs?

Conclusion: Bannerlord was a Grift
With all this being said, I think it is safe to include that, while perhaps Taleworlds intentions when they first developed Bannerlord wanted to make a better game, the idea of grandeur and money probably got the best of them. It's hard to exactly pinpoint when Taleworlds decided that money was more important than keeping fans happy, but I would wager around 2015-2016 was when the idea of an excellent game was thrown out the window in favor of cash. Do you agree?
Yes... Bannerlord IS a gift and I thank Taleworlds' Devs from the bottom of my ? They did good and are still doing good with every update.
Bannerlord 4ever!

Inappropriate language
especially on the multiplayer front (it’s actually gotten worse)
M&B was meant as a Single-player game, Multiplayer for Bannerlord only exists because of whiners whose only interest is to grief other players... Besides, I don't want to play Multiplayer with jerks so it's perfect. The game is great, I love it!!!

Apparently, if you remove imperative features for long enough, and then you finally bring them back in when they should've been there in the first place, it is "tremendous innovation", "great progress" and "awesome new features."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom