Bannerlord was a grift

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
basically modding is all about sharing... without expecting any reckognition or whatever reward...
The only reward for modding IS recognition.
Modders make money for Taleworlds for free and if they are treated poorly by Taleworlds (as in poor support for modding), they are bound to be frustrated and feel abused.

The only reward for modding IS recognition.
Modders make money for Taleworlds for free and if they are treated poorly by Taleworlds (as in poor support for modding), they are bound to be frustrated and feel abused.
I'm not speaking about the support from TW for modding.
If you decide to create a mod, basically you decide to share with other players your time, ideas and vision.
A true give-away.
But in no way your first motivation should be recognition... It is only a consequence...
And I guess you know that the platform nexus allows modders to be "rewarded" in cash via the donation button? So the recognition is far from being the only "reward" for some modders...
Anyway, I guess I'm derailing from the OP so...

Now that a war has started between fan-boys and the disenchanted, let me stupidly stick my nose in ..

To start, i have no problem what so ever for a company to organise their business for maximum profits ...if that means dragging out a profitable product to maximise profits, ok. There's huge difference between Indie developers, who do it for love and the craft, and businesses who do it for $$$$ . If i was TW, I'd be a indie developer .. but I love the art, I'm not a businessman.

The basic QUALITY of BL is miles ahead of the competition, have you seen CA Troy ?? CLUNK CLUNK when 2 units get close for melee combat. BL on the other hand is .. smooooooth and clean, yes, far less troops in the battle .but very pleasing to watch and command. I bet early BL had similar problems to Troy but they realised it wasn't good enough so .. START AGAIN! This where the time went. GREAT they weren't going to release ... poop where other companies wouldn't give a .... (locked into a tight release date). We all should thank TW for demanding quality.

As to lack of content,, yes, we all see that compared to M&B but this is a fresh start so.. it will come. BL looks a great base to add content / mods etc. TW said BL was only going to be a simple strategy game so we shouldn't expect depth. We'll need to add that with mods.

So .. Stupid Waits for this fan-boy to be attacked, Spearmen are braced .. oops ,poor choice of words, Horsemen protect the flanks, Looter skirmishers are ready to unleash nuke rocks .. another ooops :grin:
As a purely singleplayer, I agree with you. However, it's impossible not to have sympathy with the multiplayer community who appear to have been badly let down. I hope that changes.

Well at least one modder decided to quit modding BL because s.he felt like TW was counting on them to flesh out the game...
If you ask me I don't really understand that kind of feeling, because basically modding is all about sharing... without expecting any reckognition or whatever reward...

I've always believed modders should be able to sell their mods, for small amounts, certain % goes to game maker, rest shared between modders. Case in point, Modders developed a GREAT mod for Med 2 Total War - Third Age Total War - TATW, massive fantastic mod yet modders got ... nothing really. I always felt guilty playing this mod, I offered cash but no response, I assumed the modders were actually employees of CA ?

I offered cash but no response, I assumed the modders were actually employees of CA ?
Or because the modders just did it for free...
Not accepting any money is also a good way to ensure your own freedom in the develoment of your mod.
Just look at this OP, speaking about a scam/grift just because TW decided to change/remove/abandon some features...

As a purely singleplayer, I agree with you. However, it's impossible not to have sympathy with the multiplayer community who appear to have been badly let down. I hope that changes.
As a purely single player myself, I do not agree with what @archaicwarrior said. I find Bannerlord's quality to be extreme poor for the amount of work that went into it. What I find most frustrating is that combat, especially mass combat, feels extremely clunky. They might eventually get around to fixing broken sieges, but combat will stay as it is I am pretty sure and it is one of the fundamental elements of the game. That they did not even get the very basic foundation of the game right is to me very depressing and not an indicator of care not attention for quality.

But then I do not compare it to other games... I just evaluate it on its own.

I've always believed modders should be able to sell their mods, for small amounts, certain % goes to game maker, rest shared between modders. Case in point, Modders developed a GREAT mod for Med 2 Total War - Third Age Total War - TATW, massive fantastic mod yet modders got ... nothing really. I always felt guilty playing this mod, I offered cash but no response, I assumed the modders were actually employees of CA ?

Judging by the name, that's a Lord of the Rings mod so it would actually be violation of copyright law for them to accept any money for it. It's already a tenuous fair-use case, as it's arguably a tribute project and not an attempt to rip the IP, but I'd be awfully hesitant now to release something like that.

Not accepting any money is also a good way to ensure your own freedom in the develoment of your mod.
Just look at this OP, speaking about a scam/grift just because TW decided to change/remove/abandon some features...
Careful, you may be arrested for murder just because you punctured some organs of some guy. It's not a big deal if he leaks a bit and doctors may be able to fix it, but people get upset for some reason. Strange!
I'm not speaking about the support from TW for modding.
If you decide to create a mod, basically you decide to share with other players your time, ideas and vision.
A true give-away.
But in no way your first motivation should be recognition... It is only a consequence...
No one said recognition should be a motivation, I said it's a reward. We know that people motivated primarily by recognition usually fail quickly.
The main motivation is the challenge of making something new, usually a mod you would like to play.
And I guess you know that the platform nexus allows modders to be "rewarded" in cash via the donation button? So the recognition is far from being the only "reward" for some modders...
That's the way to get compensated if you need to pay the bills and are doing this full time. Unemployed modders are not a rarity.
One full conversion mod author was living in a car and working on a laptop.

Last edited:
Careful, you may be arrested for murder just because you punctured some organs of some guy. It's not a big deal if he leaks a bit and doctors may be able to fix it, but people get upset for some reason. Strange!
I think I get your point...
The main motivation is the challenge of making something new, usually a mod you would like to play.
I hear you there.
That's the way to get compensated if you need to pay the bills and are doing this full time. Unemployed modders are not a rarity.
One full conversion mod author was living in a car and working on a laptop.
Working on a laptop is really bad for your back, neck... really painful...

I don't think that this is a great analogy though. Murder, like scamming, implies intent. We don't know that there was willing trickery on TW's part and to me Bannerlord is more readily explained by sheer incompetence.

Good luck with that, at least over here. TW won't even allow donations to servers that provide something in return, so this right here is an absolute pipe dream. Never really understood this policy by TW, aside from them not wishing for people to monetize their game.

People are allowed to monetize certain aspects, but they can't put paywalls on specific content. They can charge entry fees, but they can't run a pay2win item scheme, for instance.

How does Bannerlord Online get away with Patreon exclusive items if this is the case?
I can't imagine TW are happy about BLO but they have little control over it due to being on a completely user-created server network etc. Undoubtedly they'd shut it down if it was on the TW master server. Wouldn't be surprised if they pursued legal action but if it's just anonymous guys in Russia probably difficult to do quickly, or effectively.

There are some people here that enjoy Bannerlord so much, they have more hours on the forum than they do actually playing it. Now I'm not one to point fingers, but I think we have some partisans here.. possibly chauvinists?

People are allowed to monetize certain aspects, but they can't put paywalls on specific content. They can charge entry fees, but they can't run a pay2win item scheme, for instance.
The main issue I have with the policy is that it hurts servers that rely on donations which give in game gold in return, for example on PW/PK. This cut possible donations by 70%, leading to the deaths of multiple servers on the mod. I think the entry fee thing is kind of irrelevant since I’ve never heard of a server that actually did this successfully. Does anyone know of one? I know I wouldn’t pay an entry fee to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom