Bannerlord was a grift

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a video I created of my clan and I playing on the Warband mod “Persistent Kingdoms” from Monday to last night.
Seeen it.

Yeah, I randomly stumbled upon your profile on here last weekend, saw a mention about some adventures on Persistent World, watched the first video.. well.. ended up watching all of them. Not really into PW, but they were entertaining.

Seeen it.

Yeah, I randomly stumbled upon your profile on here last weekend, saw a mention about some adventures on Persistent World, watched the first video.. well.. ended up watching all of them. Not really into PW, but they were entertaining.
I am glad you enjoyed them and I do try to make them for anyone who manages to stumble across them like yourself. Even if you aren't into PW/PK, it can still be interesting. I hope to continue it into Bannerlord (as I mention in #39), which you know, is some nice promotion and free advertising for TW. PLS help me out TW and go the extra mile to let me do that? It's for your own benefit to release the private servers.

With this current MP update (1.6.1) I'm starting to think that TW has no clue what to do with this game anymore, because they clearly do not listen to player feedback and the complete lack to update and community response is astounding

With this current MP update (1.6.1) I'm starting to think that TW has no clue what to do with this game anymore, because they clearly do not listen to player feedback and the complete lack to update and community response is astounding
You’re right on the mark. Your guess is as good as mine as to what they’re thinking. I just wish they would listen to anything that anybody has to say. It’s like they have worm tongue whispering in their ear, telling them to do random crap that makes no sense. And for some reason, they must listen.

It's funny how they pretend that they're ignorant of the fact that MP is completely dead. They know full well. Not implementing custom servers is amazing, they are so full of themselves that they think that the MP population will just magically repopulate because of release, and they're afraid to release custom servers because they don't want the work of the community taking the spotlight, they feel that they can instead take the credit for it. I'm doubtful that MP will ever "come back" when they act like this and assume that MP coming back is a given.

It's funny how they pretend that they're ignorant of the fact that MP is completely dead. They know full well. Not implementing custom servers is amazing, they are so full of themselves that they think that the MP population will just magically repopulate because of release, and they're afraid to release custom servers because they don't want the work of the community taking the spotlight, they feel that they can instead take the credit for it. I'm doubtful that MP will ever "come back" when they act like this and assume that MP coming back is a given.
It honestly can't. I think, aside from modding, on native, what's important is the "Cult" around a server. For example, the GK system on NA. While it does have some nice add-ons, such as catapults, unique equipment and the like, what matters is the GK name. People are hyped for "GK SIege Night". Even if a server popped up in the exact same location with the same specs, it will not get as many players as US GK TDM. How do I know this? Because others have tried over the years, and just can't get the traction. The GK name persists, as does Mount and Siege for the EU community, and there are others like this on various modules. You just can't get that same enjoyment for "Official Server 74", especially with a matchmaking function that blows. This is another reason private servers are so damn important.

It honestly can't. I think, aside from modding, on native, what's important is the "Cult" around a server. For example, the GK system on NA. While it does have some nice add-ons, such as catapults, unique equipment and the like, what matters is the GK name. People are hyped for "GK SIege Night". Even if a server popped up in the exact same location with the same specs, it will not get as many players as US GK TDM. How do I know this? Because others have tried over the years, and just can't get the traction. The GK name persists, as does Mount and Siege for the EU community, and there are others like this on various modules. You just can't get that same enjoyment for "Official Server 74", especially with a matchmaking function that blows. This is another reason private servers are so damn important.
That's a big part too. I played for hundreds of hours of Native Warband MP, and it was all usually only on maybe half a dozen servers? I would pick the same servers due to familiarity and sustained popularity, such as GK Siege. There's just something about it. I wish TW didn't completely screw up MP because they could've had something really good there. If they just listened to player feedback more, and had custom servers from the start, and didn't have such terrible game modes, it would still likely be quite popular, and I'd play it relatively frequently, even if I still ignored SP. But no, that didn't fit the vision. The vision is apparently an E-sport with no players. Inspiring vision.

That's a big part too. I played for hundreds of hours of Native Warband MP, and it was all usually only on maybe half a dozen servers? I would pick the same servers due to familiarity and sustained popularity, such as GK Siege. There's just something about it. I wish TW didn't completely screw up MP because they could've had something really good there. If they just listened to player feedback more, and had custom servers from the start, and didn't have such terrible game modes, it would still likely be quite popular, and I'd play it relatively frequently, even if I still ignored SP. But no, that didn't fit the vision. The vision is apparently an E-sport with no players. Inspiring vision.

Well thats why custom servers are so popular right? Its like stepping into a pub every fridaynight, seeing the same faces, having a laugh, chatting about.
My 4000 hours on counter strike (1.6, source and GO) can be spread evenly over a dozen custom servers, and most of them from the same community. I wouldnt have that without custom servers

That whole esport angle was pretty dumb from the start. To me the game modes are obviously a problem, but that’s just the symptom. Even bigger than that is the utter horridness that is bannerlord combat. At least with private severs, people are able to tweak the values, how fast swings go, damage, etc. Honestly the combat is not competitive at all and feels like your casually slapping each other with pool noodles. This is the main issue imo and if they would change the combat, or allow private severs to do so, that would be nice. But no.

To put it simply, the trash game modes are the least of their concerns in the catastrophe that is bannerlords multiplayer scene. It’s still sad that more people play on warband multiplayer than bannerlord at any given time.

Well thats why custom servers are so popular right? Its like stepping into a pub every fridaynight, seeing the same faces, having a laugh, chatting about.
My 4000 hours on counter strike (1.6, source and GO) can be spread evenly over a dozen custom servers, and most of them from the same community. I wouldnt have that without custom servers
That’s it. I love going on and seeing a few familiar and many new ones. It’s great hopping on full invasion and seeing the people who I played with 8 months ago when I was into it, as well as a ton of new guys. Some will be joining the regulars ranks, others won’t be seen again. Which is fine. It’s nice! It’s awesome to have that sense of community, a sense of community that TW refuses to support.

Exactly.
That whole esport angle was pretty dumb from the start. To me the game modes are obviously a problem, but that’s just the symptom. Even bigger than that is the utter horridness that is bannerlord combat. At least with private severs, people are able to tweak the values, how fast swings go, damage, etc. Honestly the combat is not competitive at all and feels like your casually slapping each other with pool noodles. This is the main issue imo and if they would change the combat, or allow private severs to do so, that would be nice. But no.

To put it simply, the trash game modes are the least of their concerns in the catastrophe that is bannerlords multiplayer scene. It’s still sad that more people play on warband multiplayer than bannerlord at any given time.
Honestly, I like Bannerlord's combat more than Warband's, but that might be purely due to the fact that I haven't spent nearly as much time with it. The block delay is what caused me to uninstall the game, but I was under the assumption that they fixed that. The swings could definitely be faster. I guess I prefer the smoother and better animations with Bannerlord, and while I like Warband feinting, I'm not a huge fan of how janky it looks, which I thought Bannerlord was a lot better with: the looks. If I spent more time with Bannerlord's combat, I'd probably find it worse, I feel like they maybe took too much away from feinting, chambering probably still is whack, and it just feels weird that sword and board vs sword and board takes forever to resolve and I was constantly having engagements lasting for minutes, it was ridiculous. I think it had to do with the slower swings, less feinting ability, etc. My favorite was also in TDM, where you had these guys on Sturgia with 2h axes and no matter how terrible they were, they'd top the scoreboard by one-hit killing everyone who isn't able to stop it or see it coming in "team" fights, lol.

and while I like Warband feinting, I'm not a huge fan of how janky it looks,

Now this is a meme ive not seen in a long time…
which I thought Bannerlord was a lot better with: the looks. If I spent more time with Bannerlord's combat, I'd probably find it worse, I feel like they maybe took too much away from feinting, chambering probably still is whack, and it just feels weird that sword and board vs sword and board takes forever to resolve and I was constantly having engagements lasting for minutes, it was ridiculous. I think it had to do with the slower swings, less feinting ability, etc. My favorite was also in TDM, where you had these guys on Sturgia with 2h axes and no matter how terrible they were, they'd top the scoreboard by one-hit killing everyone who isn't able to stop it or see it coming in "team" fights, lol.
I will give to you that the animations do look rather beautiful. I particularly love the swinging around your back when attacking in the same direction, it feels really genuine and realistic. The cavalry movements and maneuverability is one of bannerlords great strengths I will happily admit. Which gives me hope. It’s just that a lot of the combat is boring and slow, particularly as you mentioned with shielding. There’s no feinting and jukes about it: just keep hitting until someone’s breaks. Polearms are near useless and worst of all, the 2H situation needs to be balanced. Which could all be done by private servers. But why give us those lmao

Now this is a meme ive not seen in a long time…

I will give to you that the animations do look rather beautiful. I particularly love the swinging around your back when attacking in the same direction, it feels really genuine and realistic. The cavalry movements and maneuverability is one of bannerlords great strengths I will happily admit. Which gives me hope. It’s just that a lot of the combat is boring and slow, particularly as you mentioned with shielding. There’s no feinting and jukes about it: just keep hitting until someone’s breaks. Polearms are near useless and worst of all, the 2H situation needs to be balanced. Which could all be done by private servers. But why give us those lmao

there is no hope for this game anymore

there is no hope for this game anymore
I would say that there is a slight amount of hope. The puzzle pieces are waiting to be put into place. However, is it likely that they will be? I'm seriously doubtful. Essentially, there were only a handful of things that can be changed to drastically alter the result of an action, ie. I apply for a different job, I meet new people and don't have interactions with the people I met at the actual job. TW could easily turn this around. They have the tools to do it, they have the brains obviously seeing as they nailed it with Warband, the means and the workers. All they have to do is just put their minds to it and fix the underlying issues with the game (Private Servers, lack of various things in single player, etc.). It's very possible they could do it, but will they? Judging on previous actions, I'm not so sure. I am taking tremendous amounts of c/hopium that they will, but at the same time I try not to get my hopes up. To sum it up, there's very few things you can't come back from, subway's spokesperson and the entire Catholic Church had some interesting relationships with minors and they're both still kicking. Taleworlds very well can fix it, will they is the question.

...Taleworlds very well can fix it, will they is the question.
That's what they're working on. Jamming the full game inside their chosen minimum pc spec and keeping it stable is their primary objective. We rarely give them credit for that and demand all sorts of features that might make it impossible. Hopefully modders will add such icing to the cake as they don't have to cater to TW's minimum pc spec.

That’s it. I love going on and seeing a few familiar and many new ones. It’s great hopping on full invasion and seeing the people who I played with 8 months ago when I was into it, as well as a ton of new guys. Some will be joining the regulars ranks, others won’t be seen again. Which is fine. It’s nice! It’s awesome to have that sense of community, a sense of community that TW refuses to support.

Well, they have announced custom servers. And I get why they'd want to hold off on them until leaving EA, but if its the right strat... I dont know.. One could argue that they've "blown their load" on generating hype for multiplayer. Having the same hype while leaving EA would be desirable but also improbable. TW have always done EA releases but maybe they'd have to ditch that idea. Maybe its a thing that worked in the past but should've stayed in the past. I feel that, especially with multiplayer, riding the first wave of publicity is the biggest one, you have to impress if you want players to stick around. And the hype for BL was as big as it ever was for a TW game.

Haha, the last 10 posts pretty much said how I truly felt but couldn't express personally. Yep.

They have every means to fix this now. It baffles me why they won't.
I dont think its "why they won't"...

More like "why they can't"

They've said in past dev responses that some features have been taken out because it was to "complex" but modders can take that same feature and implement it. I'm not sure when I'll truly get back into this game. MP is dead and SP is still lacking in features that even Warband had.

I dont think its "why they won't"...

More like "why they can't"

They've said in past dev responses that some features have been taken out because it was to "complex" but modders can take that same feature and implement it. I'm not sure when I'll truly get back into this game. MP is dead and SP is still lacking in features that even Warband had.
When they say "too complex" it's not about implementation but about The Vision™, the upper management of the game has decided they want a simple, casual and fast-paced experience and anything more complex than a 5y old can understand is automatically rejected in their internal meetings.

Time and again we had devs saying that they took community suggestions to their meetings but they were shotdown or at maximum approved in a much more simplistic way (prime example is giving orders to AI parties that was reduced to 3 stances with no direct control). there was also instances of devs saying "i could code that in a week but management won't aprove anything complex".

Bannerlord was not a grift. It was a gift, to the souls of warriors all over Calradia. I've played for 500 hours and I've had fun. I will have even more fun with coming patches and features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom