Bannerlord vs. Warband armor (not visual)

Which do you prefer?

• Bannerlord

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Warband

Votes: 33 51.6%
  • Either is fine.

Votes: 10 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Apocal

Grandmaster Knight
So some people brought something up in an economy thread that probably deserves its own.

I like how hard is to get money now but I dislike how much expensive equipment is. I think high tier equipment being so expensive does not bring any good for gameplay. I am tired to see how all my army is better equipped than I while I am the one who pays the wages.

Permanent death brings something interesting about taking care of characters but I just do not feel like a I want to waste tons of money on my companions equipment because it is a waste of effort.

Seriously, bring back Warband equipment system because it makes much more sense than this. I am able to get the highest tier armor in the first couple of days in Warband and this does no make the game less challenging or interesting.
Yeah true this but in warband normal mode which is the hardest mode even with plate armor some rocks could deal up to 15 damage
I am in full late game armor and a group of 15 looters can take me down if I don't get far enough away from their rocks

While I'm pretty sure TW did this on purpose, I'm not sure they knew if players would prefer it, so might as well have a thread about it.

Most starting towns in WB usually had a tournament when the player first spawned so you could get the rusty great winged helm +51 head armour for 941 denars and get some decent chainmail body armour +34 body and +15 leg and some decent boots usually at +20 day one in WB so depends on what you like really

I lean towards preferring Bannerlord, piercing and blunt armor penetration just needs nerfed and prices/spawning need adjusted on the very high end. Otherwise armor feels fine imo

didnt armor got an buff before ? personally i vote for no more buff since you can pretty much take many hits with no to almost no armor on highest difficulty settings so it baffles me hearing people with full armor complaining and im little more then decent at this game

Armor effectiveness seems fine to me in Bannerlord, although armor values were all over the place last I played. I assumed this would be fixed in time.

I preferred armor in Warband myself, since it was meaningful and added to the sense of progression. Armor in Banner Lord seems to be mostly cosmetic.

Also, I am currently in the middle of a Native Warband campaign. Pretty sure looters can't scratch you even at the highest difficulty once you have decent armor. I occasionally will get headshotted for like 6 damage by bandits carrying bows but that's about it. Javelins and high level ranged troops on the other hand can and will still hurt you. This is as it should be in my opinion.

Last edited:
I preferred armor in Warband myself, since it was meaningful and added to the sense of progression. Armor in Banner Lord seems to be mostly cosmetic.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "cosmetic" but you do have to pay attention to see its effect on incoming damage.

Whereas in Warband, the limited damage of low-tier units made the case rather more starkly, which is a bit of fun. I mean, you said it yourself: the sense of progress matters and it actively contributed to the more outright power fantasy elements of the game.

Warband better. Can buy good armor at the armor store. Good armor reduces damage. I disagree with the comment about looters damaging through plate in warband on full damage. It might be possible but it wasn't normal.

I think in bannerlord the damage boost from movement speeds is the biggest culprit in armor feeling useless. If you stand still and get hit by low tier weapons/arrows/units the damage reduction seems pretty fair, but if you're moving on a horse towards enemies and git hit by anything it's way too much damage.

As it should be. Really hated WB super humans. If people feels armor doesn't do enough just play on easy.

You still die to looters on Easy (2/3rds Damage) pretty, uh, easily, if you ride towards them. Even Very Easy looters will not have much of a problem taking a player down if they have anything less than the best armor available. It isn't as bad on release, but most players only stop dying to looters because they get a group around them and it spreads the rocks around, not because those rocks become less effective.

There is no difficulty setting in Bannerlord that replicates Warband's native damage mitigation by armor.

Undoubtedly, the differences in terms of armor must be more acute. It cannot be that with an armour like the one that can wear a catafract with a couple of stones from a looter, it removes a quarter from your life bar. On the other hand the devs seem to be working in a values tweak.

There will be a big armor value and equipment change we are working on ( Still needs to be thoroughly tested before it is good for the public builds) and we may make some more changes on troop weapons and troops if it is necessary but each change requires heavy testing to see how they synergize with every element of the game.
Source dev comment

I think that an intermediate point between Armor Does Something & Real Armor will be the key. These two tweaks mods took into account this problem by changing the values and as a result you get a more realistic playable experience (better in my opinion).

The biggest joke is how blunt weapons ignore armor in bannerlord, yeah I'm talking about the fuvking stones in rogue's hands.
think i need to try going for an hvy armor build next time to try this out since it seems to be a problem with many. I mean its wierd since im not having problem without armor dmg wise even if i get your points that hvy armor should protect better if its that bad as people picturing it as...ill def be back on this after the rogue gmply

Undoubtedly, the differences in terms of armor must be more acute. It cannot be that with an armour like the one that can wear a catafract with a couple of stones from a looter, it removes a quarter from your life bar. On the other hand the devs seem to be working in a values tweak.

Source dev comment

I think that an intermediate point between Armor Does Something & Real Armor will be the key. These two tweaks mods took into account this problem by changing the values and as a result you get a more realistic playable experience (better in my opinion).

Pretty good to hear they are working on this.

In my bannerlord game I'm at the middle game (own a few fiefs and make lots of money). After a few battles I end up with tons of looted gear which I can sell for money. Dealing with it is becoming a tiresome chore. It made me wonder what if I could use that gear to equip my army. Something like this seems natural in this game. Although the current unit and upgrade system is probably incompatible with anything like this.

One idea is to have certain units locked until you have their gear/weapons (kinda of the same way with horses). That would be a good money sink and add a whole other level of difficulty in the game. For something like this to work maybe have it implemented only for the player and keep the AI on the old system

Back
Top Bottom