Bannerlord: Tabula Rasa (OOC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Either way, a French derived title sounds most appropriate for the faction, imo. Just like Byzantine for the Calradian empires, or Welsh or Irish for the Battanians.

I also agree with the languages stuff. I can just change my CS's 'dialects' into 'accents'. :grin:

Good to be back Ulf! And if I may be so bold as to add another character, as I think Johnan the smith could do with a drinking companion.

Name: Khurayl
Faction of Birth: Khuzait.

Allegiance: A true mercenary at heart, though with a fondness for the Khergit peoples of the Khuzait Khanate.

Experience: A veteran of the countless cattleraids and low-scale conflict that keeps the Khuzait tribes strong, as well as a few larger battles.

Feudal Rank: Vagabond/nomad/soldier

Appearance: A slight man, with a shaved head, sharp features and bright eyes. A scar that cuts across his left eye, nose and lip gives him a rather grim appearance, until he smiles. Lithe, thin and wind-tanned, one of his nieces once said he looked “like a piece of marmot meat left out to dry for too long”. The memory still makes him smile.

Personality: As cheerful as his close friend Johnan the smith, Khurayl is on the whole more restrained and stoic. That is, until there comes a challenge regarding horsemanship, swordcraft or archery. In these circumstances, a competitive streak three score long emerges, a habit that has won him no few horses and enemies back home.

Talents: As any true son of the Khergit people, Khurayl prides himself on his horsemanship, archery and swordwork. Whilst a capable swordsman, the nomad has always favoured a well-fletched arrow sent from atop a sturdy horse. Whilst no great tracker, he knows enough to follow a lost sheep that has wandered from the flock. Armies, in comparison, are easy enough to follow. He also takes a quiet pride in being able to read.

Biography: Khurayl spent a fairly typical life growing up as one of the Khergit, a lesser tribe of the Khuzait. His days were spent tending flocks, mending tents and saddles and, when he came of age, joining the countless small skirmishes and cattle raids that make up tribal life. It was a good life.

With no particular reason other than curiousity, he signed on with a passing mercenary company as part of a contingent of light cavalry. That was the beginning of the second half of his life, though it differed very little. The gers were replaced with tents, the dried mutton with salted beef and the roving flocks of sheep, goat and cattle became the myriad companies of other sellswords. The following years saw him move between mercenary retinues, where he met Johnan.

The two formed a solid friendship from shared hardship and a good few years of service together, and for the most part now serve in the same unit. For Johnan's part, he now has a snake-fast veteran about when trouble starts, and Khuhayl has never wanted for arms and armour. Khurayl often writes home to his family and will often sit by a campfire at day's end, cup of airag in hand, proudly reading of the achievements of his many neices, nephews and young cousins.

Equipment:

Worn (clothing/armor): Traditional nomadic deel-tunic, trousers and boots, with a lamellar vest, tassets and bracers.

Weapons: A nomad's sabre, with only the lightest of curves, and a beautiful horseman's bow of birch, bone and sinew. Tends to keep a quiver on his saddle, though will carry one on his back is necessary.

Mount: Khuhayl rides a Khuzait horse, which is affectionately calls Mori.

Last edited:
I'll have my troop find their way to the tavern and then hang out while figuring out what to do next. Sargot is governed by Derthert, king of the Vlandians, so some steward or someone likely runs the keep.

Last edited:
Had to check the tavern had a feeling a successor for Battle for Tihr was up. I'm pretty sure I did partake in that for a short while and a lot of the other old RPs.

Last edited:
I remember you Draco. Yeah, we're just getting started here, so feel free to join in.

Edit: I see we have the mandatory horse archer Khergit. It's not me this time lads!

Last edited:
I noticed when I looked up what they are exactly :p
I'm wrapping up the family feud story line which I considered a prologue for my character. I'll leave it inconclusive, and if this thing really takes off I might reintroduce Toric, Beric and Muirkin as characters in the future. I intend to let Loren meet his brother Egon at Flintolg castle, for whom I'll write a template as well. Then I'll find some excuse for them to get captured by the brotherhood and eventually they could be recruited into their ranks. If any more potential players are lurking. I think putting a number of brotherhood players against a number of mercenary players could really turn this into an epic narrative.

Sounds good, I'm kind of playing things by ear in terms of the Brotherhood of the Woods as they mostly seemed like a convenient opponent for a "starting party", but obviously I'm happy to let something organically develop.

As you said there could be something pretty nice about a mercenaries vs. maybe-not-awful forest bandits (we could always do a classic Battle of Tihr --> two sides fight --> two sides find common ground (a bigger enemy) --> cue character development).

Any feedback or ideas are welcome. :smile:

Brotherhood of the woods is basically a mercenary company in game terms, so it could be as easy as saying that either the Brotherhood affiliated themselves with another faction that Vlandia wasn't currently at war with or they disaffiliated themselves with the current conflict.

Brotherhood of the woods is basically a mercenary company in game terms, so it could be as easy as saying that either the Brotherhood affiliated themselves with another faction that Vlandia wasn't currently at war with or they disaffiliated themselves with the current conflict.

The wiki pretty much explains them as a Robin Hood attempt turned regular bandit.

Lore wise, true, but in technical terms that's how the game treats them. We can play it either way, both even, as it's not uncommon to sponsor bandits and other commerce raiders without formal affiliation during this era. Just tossing ideas and possibilities out there, really.

Good points all around, I think personally I find the lore sets up a pretty nice starting antagonistic faction.

A group of peasant bandits who started with noble goals (e.g., steal from the rich, give to the poor), but have now sort of become less heroes and more just regular bandits. Would be cool to have some internal strife (e.g., some members want to go back to being good bandits).

Totally makes sense though that some lords with fewer morals or similar people have paid them more as mercenaries or hired muscle.

Back
Top Bottom