Bannerlord SP First Reactions: Megathread

Users who are viewing this thread

Love it. Discovered Warband in 2014 and spent maybe 1600 hours on that. Love the mods, some of which took a long time to 'complete'. Spent 10 hours so far and loving it but I'm playing some other game which launched its final dlc. I'm sure its a matter of time to round out all the features of Bannerlord. Take your time, great stuff guys!

Guys, please help me.

I have issue with "death mode" enabled, but still nobody is dying. Its impossible for me to die in battle, or any other lords/companions etc.
What can i change to make it really "enabled"... Its bother me alot cause of it i can't play on full realism.

To all those who read:
I have written 3 threads contained in this megathread:
the topics are:
- durability as a degradation system for weapons / armor and blacksmiths / smithing skill as a system for restoring durability.
=> the skill smithing here is MUCH more useful, but not essential.
- maintenance of equipment (personal and companion equipment) and for the army.
- economic system that takes into account the above and that balances the prices spreading them over time in terms of "maintenance"
- the system introduces infrastructure, needs and the concept of social stability linked to economic factors
- logistics and system of supply lines both related to what is written above and for the war. The aim is to eliminate or strongly reduce the snowball effect, but at the same time adding a strategic component in the campaign map.
-logistics and supply lines => camps

I would appreciate your feedback, thanks in advance for participating.

ECONOMY and LOGISTICS MEGATHREAD <--link

This game just gets better and better! But please sort the loyalty...

Spent game years as an Aserai fighting for my Sultan, finally got an army together and captured a castle in the east between the Khuzait and Southern Empire, it was awarded to me and then everyone else b*ggered off! Ten in game days fighting off Khuzait hordes on my own with no help from my erstwhile allies.

Don't get me wrong, this was possibly the most tense and exciting gameplay I've had for years, but one would hope for a bit of help from ones own allies! Now we are at peace with the Khuzait but my idiot leader started a fight with the Southern Empire and once again I'm on my own...

However, I did get a little thrill when I met him after a battle and was addressed as "my friend". Won't be for much longer Unqid if you keep me dangling in the ruddy wind! Watch your back son!

BoxTunnel, (only) Defender of the Aserai East.

Love the game but in the meantime, not only I but my pc has gotten a lot older, it was new in 2013. Now I can only run game on very low settings, so its really like playing Warband 2.0 ?

Thanks for early access and dont worry how you spend my money. I have already spent 300 hours in Bannerlord, it was a good trade.. all green.. its good ?

Game is good... but with like 20 different mods. Without mods I couldn't recommend it to anyone right now.

I would suggest developers to take a look at top 20 most popular mods and just including them in the game in one or another way.. will save you time and make fan base happier.

At first I love this game, battles and weapons feel good when you get into it after a while. I like the skill System and focusing and for the fighting and weapon skills it feels kind of natural that you get better when using them frequently. Also because the battles, duels and tournaments are fun. On the other hand some skills are just rewarding when you spent a lot of boring time, for example smithing. There is no enjoyable part until you are able to craft your desired cool looking weapon. I think in the animation and way how to implement challenges for player that are for skills beside fighting there's a huge improvement potential. Making the way to reach a high skill in abilities more enjoyable would make them even more considerable and less grindy. Maybe even the nice designed cities and workshops could get more attention if one could really do anything there and the immersion would be even higher.

Best regards

My first experience(s) during singleplayer was mixed. I do love the potential of the game, but there's always kinks that needs fixing.Some of these, in my opinion, are:
Weapon choice & combat style viability; Arrows are stupidly superior, especially on horseback. At level 1, I Can kill 15-20 looters alone with horse + bow. I can't kill 2 on foot because melee is clunky as hell. Spears are, in my experience, even worse. A lot of this is probably down to the AI being too dumb, as the looters will literally just trail behind you throwing rocks or trying (futilely) to hit you with their melee weapons, instead of scattering and trying to corner the player. Not sure if this is even possible to really fix.

I have a love/hate relationship with the blocking system. I do love that it's more detailed than "hold right mouse button", but melee fights are incredibly difficult compared, again, to ranged. There is also an -extremely- large discrepancy between having onehanded+shield vs blocking with a weapon. It does make sense, but it does limit the viability of certain playstyles.

Character creation is decent, but there's a huge difference in the mid-late game depending on what skills you choose at the start.
Currently, I personally don't feel it's viable to take any weapon skills at all, as those are easily trained in practice tournaments. Things like Tactics, leadership and trade are harder to level, so starting out with them will give you a huge bonus in the midgame, imo.

I still have tons of stuff to try out, though. Really looking forward to the "real release", patches do look nicely progressional for now. :smile:

I've played close to 180 hours of early access so far but I recently quit due to too many developmental shortcomings that gave me a headache and just became too much to tolerate. But yeah I still played that much despite all that so I obviously still really like the game, but I'm going to wait not for things to get more developed. I suppose I'll probably end up waiting until the game is officially released.

The most damning problem for me was that I had no option to take a castle for myself in my own kingdom which seems contradictory. Plus severely slow loading times/terribly laggy battle simulations. Which I thought to simply attribute to my own machine's lack of power to run the game, but it wasn't always like this. When I first started, battle simulations ran smoothly and load times weren't crazy long. Then some patch made it near unbearable, so I don't think it was just my own computing ability.

Anyway looking forward to seeing some of the early access issues like these being addressed.

The game is good but a full suite of modding tools is what will make it great. The vanilla game is very, very slow going and that makes it tedious after a time. More options would be needed to sustain that pace.

As is suggested here, look at the most popular mods and integrate the functionality they present. You have an incredible, evolutionary system to see which 'mutations' to the game are the ones people most want. The mistake Bethesda made with their games is that they never used the modding community for that purpose. Check which mods are the most popular, and make sure that people get that functionality in the vanilla game.

Next up, the Modding system seems like it needs to be more robust. I have managed to bring down my mod list to nine I really don't want to play without... but, every time there's an update I can't play the game anymore, it always starts crashing incessantly and most of the time the save game breaks. Some sort of functionality to show where the problem is pretty much a neccesity, as well as a more stable form of savegame.

Other than that I like most systems, though having to unlock every individal part in smithing and being able to smith next to nothing before stamina runs out is tedious and stupid. Luckily we'll have mods to solve that, but just game options to switch of those kind of unneccesary mechanics would be better.

In general though, the game is a great sandbox (when it isn't crashing because of mods), and it's an absolutely brilliant basis to go on with. I can't wait for the modding tools to be released so I can start fiddling with the resulting mods.

The game is good but a full suite of modding tools is what will make it great. The vanilla game is very, very slow going and that makes it tedious after a time. More options would be needed to sustain that pace.

As is suggested here, look at the most popular mods and integrate the functionality they present. You have an incredible, evolutionary system to see which 'mutations' to the game are the ones people most want. The mistake Bethesda made with their games is that they never used the modding community for that purpose. Check which mods are the most popular, and make sure that people get that functionality in the vanilla game.

Next up, the Modding system seems like it needs to be more robust. I have managed to bring down my mod list to nine I really don't want to play without... but, every time there's an update I can't play the game anymore, it always starts crashing incessantly and most of the time the save game breaks. Some sort of functionality to show where the problem is pretty much a neccesity, as well as a more stable form of savegame.

Other than that I like most systems, though having to unlock every individal part in smithing and being able to smith next to nothing before stamina runs out is tedious and stupid. Luckily we'll have mods to solve that, but just game options to switch of those kind of unneccesary mechanics would be better.

In general though, the game is a great sandbox (when it isn't crashing because of mods), and it's an absolutely brilliant basis to go on with. I can't wait for the modding tools to be released so I can start fiddling with the resulting mods.

The problem that I've seen with the mods right now is the game is breaking them after new patches. So I'm waiting until things stabilize more before diving into modding things myself.

I can't wait for the modding tools to be released so I can start fiddling with the resulting mods.

Though its probably years away, I am looking forward to eventually seeing Last Days of Middle Earth ported onto this version. That was a mod that really cried for huge battles, legions of orcs, thundering Rohirim charges, etc., but just fell short because of technical limitations.

I installed the community mod to fix the broken disciplinarian skill and it's still broken. Very frustrating.

edit: nvm I just had to select which perk I actually wanted. Not sure it actually works yet but that'll most likely fix it

Last edited:
Game is good... but with like 20 different mods. Without mods I couldn't recommend it to anyone right now.

I would suggest developers to take a look at top 20 most popular mods and just including them in the game in one or another way.. will save you time and make fan base happier.
I think some of them are aware of the most popular mods, they did in the past. Hopefully they will take note.

This game just gets better and better! But please sort the loyalty...

Spent game years as an Aserai fighting for my Sultan, finally got an army together and captured a castle in the east between the Khuzait and Southern Empire, it was awarded to me and then everyone else b*ggered off! Ten in game days fighting off Khuzait hordes on my own with no help from my erstwhile allies.

Don't get me wrong, this was possibly the most tense and exciting gameplay I've had for years, but one would hope for a bit of help from ones own allies! Now we are at peace with the Khuzait but my idiot leader started a fight with the Southern Empire and once again I'm on my own...

However, I did get a little thrill when I met him after a battle and was addressed as "my friend". Won't be for much longer Unqid if you keep me dangling in the ruddy wind! Watch your back son!

BoxTunnel, (only) Defender of the Aserai East.

Your supposed to go to the army tab and spend influence to invite allies into your army to help you
They wont show up un asked for that would be rude ; P

The most damning problem for me was that I had no option to take a castle for myself in my own kingdom which seems contradictory.
( Yes I was dissapointed in that too till i used a mod that let me )

Plus severely slow loading times/terribly laggy battle simulations. Which I thought to simply attribute to my own machine's lack of power to run the game, but it wasn't always like this. When I first started, battle simulations ran smoothly and load times weren't crazy long. Then some patch made it near unbearable, so I don't think it was just my own computing ability.

( I have an SSD so the loading was always fast I did get no lag to begin with I was quite surprised, then like you some laggy bits crept in from time to time but its improved a bit again recently )

Anyway looking forward to seeing some of the early access issues like these being addressed.

My first impression of the single player has been a little while ago, so I try to recall:

What impressed me the most was the map. After having this scarcely detailed world map in previous Mount & Blade games, it just blew me away of how beautiful it was, and what a great feeling I got from travelling it. At first, it was just a big world open to me, and it felt like a world, not like an oversized game board. You got a sense of direction and exploration as you travelled to the cities and got to know the countryside as you progressed with the first part of the story. Later on, when I got my own fiefs and roamed the countries around it, it really felt like coming home when I crossed the bridge by the waterfall every time I got closer to my own castle. Which is a feeling I never had in Warband, despite it also being a great game otherwise.

Second was the story at the beginning of the game. And it fell very flat. In my opinion, the issue of our young siblings capture and sold into slavery should have been resolved at the end of the tutorial. After saving the priest and gaining the first part of the treasure (of which my brother said it's value should help to get our siblings back), the game forced me to gather troops and start World Domination out of the blue. Now it has been years since I tried to save (or avenge) my family, and the only living relative which is still displayed in my character's biography is nowhere to be found. He could be a special character you could ask for help in troubled times - hell, even as a Bannerlord or while having your own kingdom, he could be the one vasal you wouldn't have to wonder whether he is loyal to you or not. There is great potential for improvement, and it wouldn't hurt the overall freedom of the game if it was pursued any further.

First thought:

AHHHH! There is no automated blocking direction option for SP anymore! I'm going to actually have to learn how to block!

Second thought:

AHHHH! I have to worry about blocking direction for shields now too! I can't simply hide behind them instead either!

Third thought:
... Challenge accepted.

Back
Top Bottom