Bannerlord SP First Reactions: Megathread

Users who are viewing this thread

I was a huge fan of Warband and I'm not disapointed. You kept the good things in the previous game but with better graphic, more ergonomic gestion of the screen, companion etc.

Of course, now it lacks lots of option, like building your own empire, and some features should be improved (faster leveling, less boring smithing, snowballing factions, limitation in number of companions, etc) but it's only early access so I'm sure it will be epic at the end.

We just need to wait for mods because it was part of the fun too :razz: Imagine Pendor ou Warhammer with the Bannerlord setting :love:

I was a huge fan of Warband and I'm not disapointed. You kept the good things in the previous game but with better graphic, more ergonomic gestion of the screen, companion etc.

Of course, now it lacks lots of option, like building your own empire, and some features should be improved (faster leveling, less boring smithing, snowballing factions, limitation in number of companions, etc) but it's only early access so I'm sure it will be epic at the end.

We just need to wait for mods because it was part of the fun too :razz: Imagine Pendor ou Warhammer with the Bannerlord setting :love:
Thumbs up to this comment

Not yet. The itemization is very bad tho'. Very few weapons in the game, we need more variety.

It's so disappointing that a game which is for 8 freakin' years in development has less weapons than the previous!!! Which was not so good anyway, let's be real!

How many weapons were in those ages and none in the game.

Do they even care about this? Do they care about their game anyway???
In sieges I saw a horse climbing a ladder, npc's spawning on a roof, low frame rate on very low settings, crashes, etc.
How is it possible that the npc's don't even unmount in siege and they are all trying to climb the ladder?

After 8 years this? The level of incompetence is beyond imagine. I've never saw a game poorly made like this in my whole life.
What is not bugged here? Is there anything that it isn't bugged?

It's really hard to play. Everything is copy paste, not to mention. They didn't even bothered to make it a little more different than Warband. This is warband with few extra features that don't even work at all!

This is not even a beta!

PS: Ah and let's not pretend the graphics are good! There were good 5 years ago! We are in 2020! This is unacceptable and it runs very poorly on High specs PC.
Not to mention in the shadow you can't see a damn thing! Everything is gray no matter what settings you are using! What kind of illumination is this? Worse than on Warband! Everything is low poly and the textures look like crap. Vegetation and models are from 10 years ago, warband was outdated also! What does have worse graphic than this in 2020? Nothing!
And where are the seasons? Ah they will come next year I understand. See, this is the problem. If this is what they com up with after 8 years, they need another 5 to make it working!
I will not ask refund, but I'm still very disappointed. I'm not asking for a final game, I know it's an early access, but it's barely playable. Very bad.

FINAL RATING 2/10.

Last edited:
Not yet. The itemization is very bad tho'. Very few weapons in the game, we need more variety.

It's so disappointing that a game which is for 8 freakin' years in development has less weapons than the previous!!! Which was not so good anyway, let's be real!

How many weapons were in those ages and none in the game.

Do they even care about this? Do they care about their game anyway???
In sieges I saw a horse climbing a ladder, npc's spawning on a roof, low frame rate on very low settings, crashes, etc.
How is it possible that the npc's don't even unmount in siege and they are all trying to climb the ladder?

After 8 years this? The level of incompetence is beyond imagine. I've never saw a game poorly made like this in my whole life.
What is not bugged here? Is there anything that it isn't bugged?

It's really hard to play. Everything is copy paste, not to mention. They didn't even bothered to make it a little more different than Warband. This is warband with few extra features that don't even work at all!

This is not even a beta!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion :smile: but let us remember that the game is in early release and that it has only been out for the last four days

The devs are also working to resolve the major issues first like the issues with crashes and such. they do seem to be coming out with patches and hotfixes daily. I would say give the game some time and let us see what it is like in a week or even a months time :grin:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion :smile: but let us remember that the game is in early release and that it has only been out for the last four days

The devs are also working to resolve the major issues first like the issues with crashes and such. they do seem to be coming out with patches and hotfixes daily. I would say give the game some time and let us see what it is like in a week or even a months time :grin:

Yes give it another 8 years to be final. Hilarious.

After a few days of tinkering around, my conclusion is to wait. For months, at least.

What they have now isn't really playable, even by EA/beta standards- there are a lot of very deep issues with the game that I don't see being fixed for quite a while. Balance and economy are totally borked, regional weapons / armour are borked, diplomacy and character relations basically don't exist, and key features from Warband have been removed.

I'll come back and see how it looks in a month, optimistically.

20200402001501_1.jpg

Thank me later

After playing Warband for so much time, looking at Bannerlord you can see that except graphical and music detail, everything is not complete. Everything. Game performance sucks and I have a pretty high end PC, can't enjoy large battles, the quests get repetitive, NPCs don't care if you are the lord of anything, they will speak to you as if you are starting out, Balance issues, party speed being so weird it's frustrating to chase down some mere bandits across a third of the map, and the list goes on and on and on.

You people say "wait one month". I'd say wait the entire Early Access. I think I'll wait for that long if it means I will play Bannerlord excitedly and then exit the game happy instead of depressed like I am doing now, because it's... underwhelming. It's not even much of an improved warband. It feels like a graphic lift up + a few features and the rest is.... not there.

First, I understand that the game is in early access and that taleworld want to cooperate with its fan base to create the best mount and blade experience they could After taking some time to experience the game and at the same time ignoring the small bugs and crash that were addressed by other players here is what I think of the game in a grand scale of things

Pros
1) the game looks stunning and the graphics are great
2) The combat while in need is a lot of balance is a solid base to build upon
3) most of the good features of Warband are still here or improved upon
4) the map is big and very diverse instead of the barren warband map
5) the AI in the open field battles is good and is sure to improve further
6) the devas responds and bug fixing is admirable and inspiring
7) the new Quest while still minimal show much greater diversity than Warband
6 ) the clan system turned out to be better than expected
9) while the game economy is still barebone its a step in the right direction
10) the lawmaking and more complex settlement management is a huge step in the right direction
11) Minor factions are a good addition if the were expanded with questlines plots and intrigues

Cons / Suggestions

1) the diplomacy while improved is currently lacking in complexity and depth I would but it as a less developed version of Warband diplomacy mod I think it could be expanded by adding plots, intrigues, and rebellions for internal affairs and trade packs non-aggrestion alliances and coalitions plus dynastical marriages
2) the grand strategy of faction while very realistic it is not balanced as victories armies were usually stoped by attrition and logistics I think taleworld could improve the strategy by making auto calculated battles have more attrition and sieges have even more attrition (which they historically were)
3) While the army creation mechanic is very creative and good I think it should be tweaked to be more dynamic as I have seen armies wait near a besieged settlements without any action I think these should be solved by a similar way to Warband in that if a different army are in a close radius they should act as a single unit even if there was no army formed
4) settlements should be relivable without the need to break the enemy siege I think this was discussed in a dev blog but it seems to be limited to the player or not implemented
5) Companions should be more options, interaction, and stories as well as the ability to marry from the companions and notables for players who roleplay as bandits or merchants
6 ) Siege AI must be improved and defending a settlement should be easier and attacking one should be much more costly (the current kill rate of sieges is 1.5 attacker death for every one defender I think it should be changed to 3 at least )
9) castles are very disappointing I expected we will have notable with special quest and high tiers and noble troops recruitments in every castle
10) the Aserai troop recruitment is completely broken for some reason we can't recruit the lowest tier troops which completely locked the mamluks troop trees
11) there is no clear way to recruit mercenaries and minor faction troops as well as faction noble troops I again think notables in castles would be the best way to recruit noble troops and make castles more alive
12) Finally, I think noncombat activities are very lacking in the game there are no bard songs to learn no activities in taverns other than board games no travelers book merchants manhunters etc also did I miss it or are Feasts gone as well it was in one of the best features in Warband and never in my wildest dream expected it to be removed

In brief, the game is good and solid but the lacking in the strategic gameplay and civilian gameplay which was expected because these features are hard to test with a limited team which is why early access is needed so everyone be vocal your feedback it will make the game the best that it can be and this is our chance to help Taleworld build the best mount and blade experience

Last edited:
First, I understand that the game is in early access and that taleworld want to cooperate with its fan base to create the best mount and blade experience they could After taking some time to experience the game and at the same time ignoring the small bugs and crash that were addressed by other players here is what I think of the game in a grand scale of things

Pros
1) the game looks stunning and the graphics are great
2) The combat while in need is a lot of balance is a solid base to build upon
3) most of the good features of Warband are still here or improved upon
4) the map is big and very diverse instead of the barren warband map
5) the AI in the open field battles is good and is sure to improve further
6) the devas responds and bug fixing is admirable and inspiring
7) the new Quest while still minimal show much greater diversity than Warband
6 ) the clan system turned out to be better than expected
9) while the game economy is still barebone its a step in the right direction
10) the lawmaking and more complex settlement management is a huge step in the right direction
11) Minor factions are a good addition if the were expanded with questlines plots and intrigues

Cons / Suggestions

1) the diplomacy while improved is currently lacking in complexity and depth I would but it as a less developed version of Warband diplomacy mod I think it could be expanded by adding plots, intrigues, and rebellions for internal affairs and trade packs non-aggrestion alliances and coalitions plus dynastical marriages
2) the grand strategy of faction while very realistic it is not balanced as victories armies were usually stoped by attrition and logistics I think taleworld could improve the strategy by making auto calculated battles have more attrition and sieges have even more attrition (which they historically were)
3) While the army creation mechanic is very creative and good I think it should be tweaked to be more dynamic as I have seen armies wait near a besieged settlements without any action I think these should be solved by a similar way to Warband in that if a different army are in a close radius they should act as a single unit even if there was no army formed
4) settlements should be relivable without the need to break the enemy siege I think this was discussed in a dev blog but it seems to be limited to the player or not implemented
5) Companions should be more options, interaction, and stories as well as the ability to marry from the companions and notables for players who roleplay as bandits or merchants
6 ) Siege AI must be improved and defending a settlement should be easier and attacking one should be much more costly (the current kill rate of sieges is 1.5 attacker death for every one defender I think it should be changed to 3 at least )
9) castles are very disappointing I expected we will have notable with special quest and high tiers and noble troops recruitments in every castle
10) the Aserai troop recruitment is completely broken for some reason we can't recruit the lowest tier troops which completely locked the mamluks troop trees
11) there is no clear way to recruit mercenaries and minor faction troops as well as faction noble troops I again think notables in castles would be the best way to recruit noble troops and make castles more alive
12) Finally, I think noncombat activities are very lacking in the game there are no bard songs to learn no activities in taverns other than board games no travelers book merchants manhunters etc also did I miss it or are Feasts gone as well it was in one of the best features in Warband and never in my wildest dream expected it to be removed

In brief, the game is good and solid but the lacking in the strategic gameplay and civilian gameplay which was expected because these features are hard to test with a limited team which is why early access is needed so everyone be vocal your feedback it will make the game the best that it can be and this is our chance to help Taleworld build the best mount and blade experience

Im sorry and i dont want to be a negative nancy... but they are not a "limited team". They have at least 90 employees if you check their linked in, and wikipedia shows they had 102 employees at 2016. This is no longer a small team.

I understand building a new engine takes a massive effort. But if you look at the gamescom footage from a few years back and look at whats actually improved in key features since then, it is meager. It feels hollow, and tbh it feels like they expect the modders to fill their world.

Also, a LOT of the issues we ran into would have been exposed and long before solved if actual testers would have tested this. It doesnt feel like there has been an alpha test at all, in terms of balancing, pathing of AI, encounters, missing tips/tricks and hints (there is NO hint that you have to press N to see your encyclopedia, nor is there an UI button for it) and other issues.

Again, i am not saying the devs been fishing their nose these past few years, just that for the amount of people they have employed it feels really really bare bones.

The game has definitely improved over warband for features, UI is better, stuff is clearer and more convenient but as with Early access A LOT of stuff is broken.
1) The thing that's been mentioned many many times from what i see so will not get into it - but the basics is the factions are WAYY to aggressive and I'm 30Hr in and whole map has been conquered by Northen Empire.
2) There isn't any good ways to improve relations with other Lords, barley any quests form them etc
3) I've started my own kingdom and I am unable to declare wars & I LOSE influence to -100 when i propose new Policies (which cost 50).
4) Bandit Hideouts are broken - Too many men in them and you are not able to take enough of yours. There is TOO many of them spawning causing lords to get capture hence the snowballing.
5) Economy is broken & workshops not functioning as they should, atleast in my opinion.

There is A LOT of features missing but I am guessing this is due to it being Early Access.
The most pressing issue I'd say is fixing the Aggressive Factions and Snowballing - game breaking long term.

I think the game is awesome but i wait until they fixed the snowball problem. I just could not motivate myself to play the mid- and endgame when i know that in the end i could only interact with 2 or 1 kingdoms.

I think the game is awesome but i wait until they fixed the snowball problem. I just could not motivate myself to play the mid- and endgame when i know that in the end i could only interact with 2 or 1 kingdoms.

After 30 hours its just one kingdom. Nothing to do. No way to advance.

Inappropriate behavior
This is not even a beta!

PS: Ah and let's not pretend the graphics are good! There were good 5 years ago! We are in 2020! This is unacceptable
Sure the game has some big issues, like the Snowball thing etc. But there is some things that will come later, like the amount of weapons and armours (i think someone stated that there is an issue that some of the gear is locked behind multiplayer).

Last edited by a moderator:
The game has definitely improved over warband for features, UI is better, stuff is clearer and more convenient but as with Early access A LOT of stuff is broken.
1) The thing that's been mentioned many many times from what i see so will not get into it - but the basics is the factions are WAYY to aggressive and I'm 30Hr in and whole map has been conquered by Northen Empire.
2) There isn't any good ways to improve relations with other Lords, barley any quests form them etc
3) I've started my own kingdom and I am unable to declare wars & I LOSE influence to -100 when i propose new Policies (which cost 50).
4) Bandit Hideouts are broken - Too many men in them and you are not able to take enough of yours. There is TOO many of them spawning causing lords to get capture hence the snowballing.
5) Economy is broken & workshops not functioning as they should, atleast in my opinion.

There is A LOT of features missing but I am guessing this is due to it being Early Access.
The most pressing issue I'd say is fixing the Aggressive Factions and Snowballing - game breaking long term.

It improved only on superficial stuff.

The GAME is a huge leap backwards. I mean it literally doesn't function.

The economy doesn't work correctly.
One empire generally conquers the map within 2-5 years.
Blocking is a mess. indicator attack direction.
Terrible, horrible, grindy skill system that just freakin SUCKS compared to other M&B titles.
Companions can't be leveled or customized at all outside of the crappy gear options.
Boring pointless story quest to even try and form a kingdom.
Melee from horseback just feels like swinging at ghosts.
No auto couching lances. Just why?
Sieges are just a 5fps go afk til it's over simulator.
Archer troops just straight out refuse to use their bows/xbows on anything further than spitting distance.
Nonsense health system that makes it next to impossible to do realistic damage to unarmored foes. Nothing like looters with 2 arrows sticking in their head running straight at you.
Ect.
Ect.
Ect.

It improved only on superficial stuff.

The GAME is a huge leap backwards. I mean it literally doesn't function.

The economy doesn't work correctly.
One empire generally conquers the map within 2-5 years.
Blocking is a mess. indicator attack direction.
Terrible, horrible, grindy skill system that just freakin SUCKS compared to other M&B titles.
Companions can't be leveled or customized at all outside of the crappy gear options.
Boring pointless story quest to even try and form a kingdom.
Melee from horseback just feels like swinging at ghosts.
No auto couching lances. Just why?
Sieges are just a 5fps go afk til it's over simulator.
Archer troops just straight out refuse to use their bows/xbows on anything further than spitting distance.
Nonsense health system that makes it next to impossible to do realistic damage to unarmored foes. Nothing like looters with 2 arrows sticking in their head running straight at you.
Ect.
Ect.
Ect.

The econmy is indeed a bit broken.
Snowballing & agressive AI is also an issue.
Blocking is the same as in warband.
Skills are actually quite nice and might need just a touch up or two here and there.
Companions do seem to be quite useless for some reason and I'm not sure what they did there.
The story is obviously a little bit meh but can be a good introduction to new players after some extra work.
Melee from horseback is .. normal as warband?
Auto couching could be a cool feature, for now its not a big deal.
Sieges are fine for me as long as they don't go over 1.5k soldiers (i9 9900k & rtx 2080 & 32GB ram) which im guessing might be a bit worse for people with lower end PC's.
Archers do seem broken at night battles for some reason. Other then that they work well.
Health system might be a little off but I found that it's functional and in decent shape, might need a fix or two but its good for EA.

Overall for Early Access is not the worst. Some things definitely need polish but they got the Warband Spirit and feel.
I'm happy overall. Just fix & improve.

Back
Top Bottom