Bannerlord = Smarter AI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Was thinking, I remember some guy advertising Bannerlord to have smarter AI?

Right now this just feels like a repackaged Warband....AI feels exactly the same as back in warband when it comes to combat. Is it just me?
Like how enemies always use the same formations, enemy cav always charges straight at you...and thats it....

The only smarter aspects I've noticed so far is that they know how to use Siege now.

Was thinking, I remember some guy advertising Bannerlord to have smarter AI?

Bannerlord have smarter AI. Especially battle AI. I was positively surprised since I expected just repackaged Warband.

Like how enemies always use the same formations, enemy cav always charges straight at you...and thats it....

Warband AI did not have formations and everything charged strait at you in one big blob.

Another large improvement is how AI uses ranged units, especially ranged cavalry.

Warband AI was really worst than Bannerlord (at least for my experience). Of course, it's not advanced like a Total War game, but it has many improvements.
However, ally commanders are very stupid. They often shout orders without sense, es. "Archers front charge" when there's a full cavalry line in front of us.

From my observations AI bots choose the closest enemy to attack if you move their back and go upon them then fall back yourself and you do this repeatly you can force them back and forward therefore they confuse and they can't decide so they move forward and backward meanwhile your archers could kill them .(I won 60vs300 battle doing this trick).
Also i have to say this when you in 1v1 fight all you have to do is make a circle around enemy and keep attacking ( Very easy to win tournaments ).

Last edited:
Bannerlord have smarter AI. Especially battle AI. I was positively surprised since I expected just repackaged Warband.

Warband AI did not have formations and everything charged strait at you in one big blob.

Another large improvement is how AI uses ranged units, especially ranged cavalry.

Total war AI really just does the same thing every time. They hold and don't attack if they are defending or have artillery superiority. When any enemy approaches or they take ranged fire they break defense and attack head on. When attacking they come at the player in a straight line, split up their force and flank from both sides (preferring cavalry for this) and leave their artillery unprotected. It's literally always the same thing.

I think bannerlord could easily achieve this level of AI with the formation AI system in place.

What the AI really needs in bannerlord is the ability to prioritise targets on the formation level. Infantry should never focus on chasing horse archers on foot, the infantry should rather turtle, protect archers and move in on enemy infantry unless the hores archers are in extremely close melee range. If an army doesn't have a good number of archers or cavalry of their own anymore they should know to turtle and retreat from a horse archer battle.

Maybe my client is broken?

Because im seeing the exact same "charge at you" formation in my battles.

And what smarter battle AI?

And im very sure warband has formations because im using the exact same formations in bannerlord as i did in warband with the F keys
Edit - just loaded up warband to check, yes there are formations

Because im seeing the exact same charge at you formation in my battles.

And im very sure warband has formations because im using the exact same formations in bannerlord as i did in warband with the F keys

Only modded warband has formations. You can order a command group to hold a certain position, but there are no formations. AI will hold position in a blob and holding shields up is the default state if the enemy has archers.

In Bannerlord only an AI party with a commander uses formations or battle tactics afaik. Bandits will charge forwards every time.

Because im seeing the exact same "charge at you" formation in my battles.

I was talking about AI, not about player.

OH didnt notice, always seemed to feel the same to me haha. Battles end up becoming a blob mess on the enemy side since they always break formation.

Only time ive seen a solid formation hold was shield walls behind a gate in a siege

Would be great if they implemented AI to stop infantry chasing faster units like cav...

OH didnt notice, always seemed to feel the same to me haha. Battles end up becoming a blob mess on the enemy side since they always break formation.

Only time ive seen a solid formation hold was shield walls behind a gate in a siege

Would be great if they implemented AI to stop infantry chasing faster units like cav...

They do break up in the melee, but if you pay attention, you will see that even when AI breaks up formation, it acts as a group from that formation. It's not every AI bot for himself. It's not noticeable in smaller battles and against bandits, but when you fight large battles against lords, you will notice that AI acts much more tactically then in Warband. You can see AI send cavalry, usually skirmish cavalry to harras you at the beginning of the battle, and it might recall it back. It will charge your archers frontally if you put them front. I saw AI to regroup and got caught by surprise because I thought it's broken and retreating.

Of course it's far from human brain, it's using preset templates, but in a complex game like this, AI is newer going to be nowhere as smart as human. But unlike in the Warband, you actually feel that you are facing some AI now.

Back
Top Bottom