Bannerlord Online mod

Users who are viewing this thread

The original mod was never removed iirc, just a new paid version was introduced with more features.
I believe that could be the best possible strategy for TW as clearly the company is lacking resources to implement every feature, required by the community and is constantly criricized for picking wrong priorities. So TW focusing on developping BO analogue will immediately cause a ****storm from sinlgeplayers, as it will most likely mean that their concerns about the game would be ignored.
The BO mod in its current state is a perfect example of EA, showing great potential (with 1000+ people playing on one server) but lacking content and as it seems even a well-laid concept/roadmap of development. It is impressive as an indivudual modder work, but if this was sold by TW that would be quite frustrating. So letting it be developped further by the modder it a safe strategy, later TW may negotiate an official release of this mod as DLC. Paradox did hire the developer of one of the most popular CK2 mods (and TW did it too :smile:) and both let the mod exist at the same time selling more polished (and constantly supported) version of it.
Hopefully the mod really have the potential to be developed, because Warband's official mods kinda sucked bug and balance wise.

I believe that could be the best possible strategy for TW as clearly the company is lacking resources to implement every feature, required by the community and is constantly criricized for picking wrong priorities. So TW focusing on developping BO analogue will immediately cause a ****storm from sinlgeplayers, as it will most likely mean that their concerns about the game would be ignored.
The BO mod in its current state is a perfect example of EA, showing great potential (with 1000+ people playing on one server) but lacking content and as it seems even a well-laid concept/roadmap of development. It is impressive as an indivudual modder work, but if this was sold by TW that would be quite frustrating. So letting it be developped further by the modder it a safe strategy, later TW may negotiate an official release of this mod as DLC. Paradox did hire the developer of one of the most popular CK2 mods (and TW did it too :smile:) and both let the mod exist at the same time selling more polished (and constantly supported) version of it.
Hopefully the mod really have the potential to be developed, because Warband's official mods kinda sucked bug and balance wise.
I wonder... Does the guy even need taleworlds? He is his own boss now. Why would he join taleworlds (if they even want it) and give up his independence?

I wonder... Does the guy even need taleworlds? He is his own boss now. Why would he join taleworlds (if they even want it) and give up his independence?
As it seems for me, legally TW can shut it down. I wonder what Bannerlord user agreement is like, as like all other people I never cared to read them, but it seems that Creative Assembly, Bethesda and Blizzard (post-DOTA) have no problems putting down an undesirable mod.
There are already voiced concerns about monetization and reverse engeneering in this thread.

Aside from the modder losing his independence if he joined TW, why would he want to join TW anyways?

The higher level decision making must be enough reason for anyone to stay far away. He'd probably lose about 99% of his current freedom lol

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic again or not but you cannot reverse engineer a server if you don't have access to an "actual" server. Which no one does at the moment - apart from TW employees.
Personally, I think they wrote their own servers on top of Single Player game. What I wonder though if they were able to strip the graphics side off completely so the server can run without a graphics card. I could be wrong though, they might have written their own, separate server.

Regardless, impressive work.

Personally, I think they wrote their own servers on top of Single Player game. What I wonder though if they were able to strip the graphics side off completely so the server can run without a graphics card. I could be wrong though, they might have written their own, separate server.

i hope that everyone being mean to you guys doesn't stop you from enjoying your work,

the combat is getting better,
keep up the good work,

thank you

Yes, that's why I don't think there is an illegal/criminal activity going on with this mod. It doesn't seem to be breaking any EULA or laws. At least right now. Since it also has it's own on-the-fly update logic, he can simply update it overnight to collect more data, install malicious code etc.

About server, I'm not an expert when it comes to Networking surely, so I'm not sure but as far as I see ( and as far as I get from decompiling the mod project ) it doesn't have a graphics side on the server ( i.e. it's not like everyone is feeding the server machine and then server machine is doing actual gameplay and sending out the result ) - it's using enet library ( https://github.com/nxrighthere/ENet-CSharp ) for low-latency connection and based on the server response, it's changing the object states/positions and/or calling attack functions etc. All other players that we see are actually NPC that doesn't have AI logic but just state logic controlled by the server.

this client-side ''puppet'' system seems to work quite well, but I wonder what would be the limitations of it compared to a ''normal server'', in combat we already see some differences like trading hits, I also wonder if systems like this could be used to support servers with more than 200 people in the same scene, like a 500vs500 battlemode

I wonder what would be the limitations of it compared to a ''normal server''
The limitation would be that it's susceptible to hacks if the server-side checks are not as complicated as the game.
i.e. you can falsely inform the server that you just entered to Car Banseth, hence, you would be teleported to that location for everyone - even if you are hundreds of miles away. The same goes for gold/coin spending stuff. But the current state is not completely ignoring some security checks as far as I can see. For gold/coin spending, he implemented a callback system where it checks everything inside the marketplace.
This requires a different architecture, I'm not sure if it would make sense for TW to implement for 500vs500 battlemode.
But again, it could be that I'm missing something or misinterpreting. If that's the case I would be happy to stand corrected by some people with more networking knowledge than I do.

Possible alt coin mining scam?
Right now, it looks okay. Although I didn't run full diagnostics on this or listened to the network extensively. And even though currently it looks okay, there is no guarantee that it will stay like this - since the module have it's own update logic. So take my advice as a grain of salt. It can turn into miner next day if this is within the intentions of this person.

Since the dev updates the launcher every time TW releases a hotfix, it should be nearly impossible to play on a pirated version (unless someone manages to update their pirate copy as soon as TW pushes an update on steam, lol).

Also, there is nothing wrong with the Patreon, I don't see how you big brainers manage to call it illegal.

It must be said that it is quite likely that TW will take this mod down alltogether. We have witnessed first-hand many scenarios where TW's self-worth resulted in negative impact to the overall development of the game. Consider the heavily-debated class-system, where TW entirely disregarded mass community feedback. I wouldn't be surprised if TW chooses the wrong path on this too. Let us pray they act intelligently for once.
surprising, taleworlds which puts as much energy as a snail to answer the demand of the players, and which would suddenly react at the speed of the light to remove a mod ? despite the studio's desire for cash I doubt that will happen and in the worst case, this mod will have served as bait so that we know if Taleworlds is hiding from us bellicose intentions towards modding

Aside from the modder losing his independence if he joined TW, why would he want to join TW anyways?

The higher level decision making must be enough reason for anyone to stay far away. He'd probably lose about 99% of his current freedom lol

High paid job maybe? And joining a team that can help him realize the full potential of his game.

Yes, that's why I don't think there is an illegal/criminal activity going on with this mod. It doesn't seem to be breaking any EULA or laws. At least right now. Since it also has it's own on-the-fly update logic, he can simply update it overnight to collect more data, install malicious code etc.

About server, I'm not an expert when it comes to Networking surely, so I'm not sure but as far as I see ( and as far as I get from decompiling the mod project ) it doesn't have a graphics side on the server ( i.e. it's not like everyone is feeding the server machine and then server machine is doing actual gameplay and sending out the result ) - it's using enet library ( https://github.com/nxrighthere/ENet-CSharp ) for low-latency connection and based on the server response, it's changing the object states/positions and/or calling attack functions etc. All other players that we see are actually NPC that doesn't have AI logic but just state logic controlled by the server.
This ultimately isn't a good thing when it comes to PVP right? I say this because in native bannerlord multiplayer, if I have 300 ping then the only impact that'll have on other people is seeing my character reacting slowly to things. It seems like in Bannerlord Online if I have 300 ping and swing at somebody, my hit will just go through them without applying damage initially and on their screen they won't even see me swing at them yet. Then all of a sudden I will see the damage apply, and the enemy will be wondering how I even hit them.

I might not be understanding this properly so correct me if I'm wrong, but Native multiplayer handles players with high ping much better than Bannerlord Online's system will correct?

Back
Top Bottom