Bannerlord & Linux Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Is there any easy way to remove battleye (beside annihilating the prefix, obviously)? I installed it by accident and now I can't play multiplayer :/

I've gotten Bannerlord working almost perfectly on Manjaro following the same process as Silverlight here:
Things I've done so far to run game on ArchLinux:

1-) install linux-fsync from AUR with this patch applied so I can use FUTEX_WAIT_MULTIPLE patch on linux 5.6.3

2-) install proton-ge-custom-bin from AUR (I am too lazy to wait until build from source finishes)

3-) cd into Bannerlord install direcotry in steam library and create symlinks for Bannerlord.exe and Bannerlord_BE.exe
Bash:
cd ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Mount\ \&\ Blade\ II\ Bannerlord/bin/Win64_Shipping_Client
ln -s Bannerlord.exe ManagedStarter.exe
ln -s Bannerlord_BE.exe ManagedStarter_BE.exe

4-) run game from steam as usual and let steam install its things.

So far it seems running OK. Only drawback that I observed is saving game takes a few seconds longer than the setup with dotnet48 and no fsync patch in kernel. But I am pretty happy bit a few seconds longer save time when I don't have frequent crashes.

CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8c 16t @ 3850MHz
RAM: 32111 Mb
Kernel Version: 5.6.3-arch1-1-fsync
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Driver Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.82
Number of Monitors: 2
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 3840 x 108
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

P.S. Game is behaving well with multiple monitors so far, but I didn't tried to play it on secondary monitor yet.
P.S.2. Also I don't know if it matters but, I am using e1.1.0 from beta branch of Bannerlord

update: experinced first freeze/crash after about 6 hours of continuous gameplay
However I'm getting fairly frequent hangs on loading screens with this reported in steam's terminal:
* Assertion: should not be reached at /vagrant/mono/mono/utils/mono-threads.c:1066

anybody seeing anything similar or have any ideas how to help? Searching around doesn't yield anything.

I'm on the beta branch but swapping to the normal one the same thing happens.

Big thanks to everyone helping getting this to run on Linux.

I've gotten Bannerlord working almost perfectly on Manjaro following the same process as Silverlight here:

However I'm getting fairly frequent hangs on loading screens with this reported in steam's terminal:
Code:
* Assertion: should not be reached at /vagrant/mono/mono/utils/mono-threads.c:1066

I am not sure but it feels like mono needs some more development to reach feature parity with up-to-date .NET framework's threading capabilities.

Also there is a new release for proton-ge-custom since I installed it, I will update and re-try running Bannerlord with updated version

Hi, i tried all the above and none worked. So i guess people might have done something they found trivial and maybe forgot to mention it.

+I tried the protonfix combo :
proton GE5.1 + vcrun2019 + dotnetcore + dotnet48
=> Game crashes, impossible to go further than training grounds

+Then i tried the fsync kernel, i folowed Valve thread for my ubuntu system
so, fsync + protong ge .
=> Game crashes, impossible to reach even the training ground ...

So i wonder, what you guys exactly did to have it running for an hour ?

Hi, i tried all the above and none worked. So i guess people might have done something they found trivial and maybe forgot to mention it.

so, fsync + protong ge .

Can you post your system specs and driver versions, as it would be helpful to diagnose your problem. I noticed you are running Ubuntu, which often has quite outdated versions of Mesa drivers and such. I would recommend upgrading to the newest versions, there should be ppas for it that you can find.

Can you post your system specs and driver versions, as it would be helpful to diagnose your problem. I noticed you are running Ubuntu, which often has quite outdated versions of Mesa drivers and such. I would recommend upgrading to the newest versions, there should be ppas for it that you can find.

Spec in the spoiler

System: Kernel: 5.0.0-20-mfutex x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Gnome 3.28.4 Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Machine: Device: desktop System: ASUSTeK product: CM6731_CM6431_CM6331-8 serial: N/A
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: CM6731_CM6431_CM6331 v: Rev X.0x serial: N/A
UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1301 date: 06/14/2013
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-3350P (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 2029 MHz 2: 1745 MHz 3: 1725 MHz
4: 1730 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 3GB]
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: [email protected]
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2
version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 435.21
Audio: Card-1 Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 NVIDIA GP106 High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k5.0.0-20-mfutex
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (68.1% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_DT01ACA1 size: 1000.2GB

so, fsync + protong ge .

Is there a chance that you forgot to add symlinks? ( ManagedStarter.exe -> Bannerlord.exe and ManagedStarter_BE.exe -> Bannerlord_BE.exe )

also make sure that you run protontricks 261550 annihilate in order to try running game in a clean prefix.

Also running the game with PROTON_LOG=1 will create a file named steam-261550.log in your user's home directory, and that file will contain proton's console logs. (you can simply right click game on steam library -> properties -> "Set launch Options" then write PROTON_LOG=1 %command% to box then click "ok" button to save)

Is there a chance that you forgot to add symlinks? ( ManagedStarter.exe -> Bannerlord.exe and ManagedStarter_BE.exe -> Bannerlord_BE.exe )

also make sure that you run protontricks 261550 annihilate in order to try running game in a clean prefix.

Also running the game with PROTON_LOG=1 will create a file named steam-261550.log in your user's home directory, and that file will contain proton's console logs. (you can simply right click game on steam library -> properties -> "Set launch Options" then write PROTON_LOG=1 %command% to box then click "ok" button to save)

Hi, i did all that, i added the symlink , i even changed the prefix to win10 instead of xp.
even tried to rename bannerlord.exe to launcher etc ...

From my experience so far, the mouse input is active 1/2 , and the game can go further after a crash, earlier this morning i managed to do the first battle then another. i followed every advice, be it here or on gitbub, none worked really well.

So, as of 1.3.0 multiplayer is unavailable for Linux players due to anti-cheat. Does the dev team have any plans to give us a way to enjoy multiplayer? I've been playing MP a lot the last week and I'm very sad that's no longer possible.

Apparently from the TW discord the anti-cheat will be disabled by default for multiplayer, it would just mean you can't join battleye servers. But this is not confirmed as they are apparently still looking into it

Felt like this belonged here since i had issues not related to linux but felt like linux users would like to know this

My experience so far, with the tweaks mentionned above I managed to run the game on my manjaro install but the menus takes some time to open especially the character menu with loading time of 20+ seconds to open every time and assigning focus/attributes points is painfully slow too.

Has anyone tested the frame rates vs WIndows?

I suspect that there will be differences. So too may the quality of drivers between the 2 operating systems.

Any eta on when battle eye will be dropped ? I really want to buy this game, but won't if i can't play multiplayer. I'm perfectly fine with not playing on official servers if that's the price i have to pay.

I use-5.11-GE-3-MF force to game in Steam and it's help. Early try Proton-5.21-GE-1 and Proton-5.8-GE-2-MF - not work.

Single player runs well. But how can i run multiplayer? It stuck on Starting BattlEye Service.... I read that Multiplayer: it works, just skip installation of a BattleEye when prompted., but if i alreaedy install BattleEye, can i remove it and play multiplayer?

sup guys,

as of the 1.5.6 beta (and for a little while now i'm guessing) the launcher doesn't work on linux, meaning you can't mod the game

has anyone figured out a workaround to this? a way to get the launcher working, or manual mod installation? thanks in advance.

edit: found out how you're able to do it. you gotta go into bannerlord's config in steam, and add the below line into launch paramaters. this is just what i have, replace the mods with your mods. everything after "storymode" and prior to "_MODULES_" are mods. none of them really work however, seems like i just crash after a few seconds. oh well.

Code:
/singleplayer _MODULES_*Native*SandBoxCore*CustomBattle*Sandbox*StoryMode*DistinguishedService*First Person View Tweak*FightingTogetherRelationship*KillBanditsRaiseRelations*HideoutSendTroops*_MODULES_

Last edited:
When can we play without anti-cheat? As long as anti-cheat is mandatory multiplayer is entirely inaccessible on Linux.

Can we please have an update from the devs on this?

sup guys,

as of the 1.5.6 beta (and for a little while now i'm guessing) the launcher doesn't work on linux, meaning you can't mod the game

has anyone figured out a workaround to this? a way to get the launcher working, or manual mod installation? thanks in advance.

edit: found out how you're able to do it. you gotta go into bannerlord's config in steam, and add the below line into launch paramaters. this is just what i have, replace the mods with your mods. everything after "storymode" and prior to "_MODULES_" are mods. none of them really work however, seems like i just crash after a few seconds. oh well.

Code:
/singleplayer _MODULES_*Native*SandBoxCore*CustomBattle*Sandbox*StoryMode*DistinguishedService*First Person View Tweak*FightingTogetherRelationship*KillBanditsRaiseRelations*HideoutSendTroops*_MODULES_
Sorry for necro, but does it mean there is no way to start another mod than vanilla, when playing on Linux?

Hello to all Linux lovers! I was able to run bannerlord on Arch Linux. But so far nothing has come out with the "Bannerlord Online" mod. Anyone have any ideas? I installed the mod using Wine. The game is launched via Proton 6.3.5 or experimental version.

Tested it yesterday, still impossible to play multiplayer on linux. Will be possible when either battleeye works on proton/wine or when devs release server code.

Back
Top Bottom