Bannerlord & Linux Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

After the new update the game is (AT LEAST!) working nice and smoothly. No lags, no stuttering, no crashes – I played fine for two or so hours.

I've never used protontricks, so I'm probably missing something obvious.

I've :
  • quit steam
  • installed ge's proton build
  • restarted steam
  • protontricks 261550 annihilate
  • protontricks 261550 vcrun2019 ( at this point it tells me it doesn't know steam app 261550)
  • realize I didn't launch the game before I ran annihilate.
  • launch the game (made sure it's configured to the latest installed proton)
  • steam installs stuff
  • (at this point, not sure if I should resume at annihilate or vcrun2019)
  • protontricks 261550 vcrun2019 => Unknown arg vcrun2019
From the beginning it complains that "You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug."

I'm not sure what to do now.

Working good for me as well with the latest GE proton and dotnet48.
Still getting occasional crashes tho when playing campaign. Following a war party or entering sieges sometimes results in this here
Code:
9187.112:002a:002e:fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L".NET Runtime"): stub
9187.112:002a:002e:fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x000003ff,(nil),0x0001,0x00000000,0x2ed7cc70,(nil)): stub
9187.112:002a:002e:err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"Application: TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe\nFramework Version: v4.0.30319\nDescription: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 0000000000CB4F9A (0000000000CB0000) with exit code 80131506.\n"
9187.112:002a:002e:fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub

I've never used protontricks, so I'm probably missing something obvious.

I've :
  • quit steam
  • installed ge's proton build
  • restarted steam
  • protontricks 261550 annihilate
  • protontricks 261550 vcrun2019 ( at this point it tells me it doesn't know steam app 261550)
  • steam installs stuff
From the beginning it complains that "You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug."

Couple of things:
1. protontricks annihilate removes the whole prefix, along with the 261550 directory, so you have to launch the game once after that and let it recreate the prefix before installing vcrun2019.
2. you need to update winetricks so it can install vcrun2019. the easiest way to do this would be doing winetricks --self-update, although you might also be able to use your distro's package manager.
3. I would recommend installing dotnet48 as well, as without it save times will be extremely long. you can do this using the same command (protontricks 261550 dotnet48.

Couple of things:
1. protontricks annihilate removes the whole prefix, along with the 261550 directory, so you have to launch the game once after that and let it recreate the prefix before installing vcrun2019.
2. you need to update winetricks so it can install vcrun2019. the easiest way to do this would be doing winetricks --self-update, although you might also be able to use your distro's package manager.
3. I would recommend installing dotnet48 as well, as without it save times will be extremely long. you can do this using the same command (protontricks 261550 dotnet48.

As far as 1. goes, every time I have used annihilate, it has just deleted the prefix itself, not the whole 261550 directory. So I just protontricks annihilate, then mkdir /path/to/compatdata/261550/pfx, then protontricks 261550 <thingToBeInstalled>

• steam installs stuff
You'll likely need to wipe out the prefix again (i.e. delete or rename "~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/261550", or run "protontricks 261550 annihilate"), then rerun the game once, then do the protontricks commands (except "annihilate").
Your Winetricks is out of date. You should be able to run "winetricks --self-update" (possibly need to do this as root) if your package manager is insisting on some outdated version.

That warning is normal. Wine's first-class support for 64-bit prefixes (like what Proton requires) is somewhat new, and therefore so is Winetricks' awareness of it, so Winetricks presents that blanket warning as an indicator that things might go sideways a lot faster. Thankfully the things we need to do don't seem to be impacted.

They honestly need to make a native Linux port as they did with Warband. We have Vulkan and stuff now. After the full release there won't be any excuse for the devs not to do it.

> They honestly need to make a native Linux port as they did with Warband.

Usually when you need a favor from someone you ask nicely for it. Anyways, I believe they've hinted at other platforms getting support post-release.

They honestly need to make a native Linux port as they did with Warband. We have Vulkan and stuff now. After the full release there won't be any excuse for the devs not to do it.

For once I actually don't agree with someone asking for a native release. Valve has made it clear they are on board with some form of Linux support in the form of Proton and SteamOS(if it ever gets updated). Proton is intended to lower the barrier to entry for modest Linux support, as it leans heavily on the community. What I think really needs to happen is Valve, or more accurately the community, finds fixes and upstreams them into WINE. Then, Valve can publish a compatibility map for devs to build Windows versions of games that play nicely with Proton.

The corollary to all of that, though, is properly recording metrics for devs/publishers to help them make good business decisions that hopefully support Linux native releases. It also means we as a community need to spend money; money is the only reason a publisher will release a native version.

I would be fine with playing the game through proton – as long as the multiplayer works. Poorly made and hasten port is worse than wine.

Quick status update: a bunch of us have confirmed that Valve's kernel patches for FUTEX_WAIT_MULTIPLE help cut down on save times without needing any protontricks'd .NET installs, so that's an option for people who don't want to wait multiple minutes every save and don't want to crash every 5 minutes, lol. You'd need to install a patched kernel:

Quick status update: a bunch of us have confirmed that Valve's kernel patches for FUTEX_WAIT_MULTIPLE help cut down on save times without needing any protontricks'd .NET installs, so that's an option for people who don't want to wait multiple minutes every save and don't want to crash every 5 minutes, lol. You'd need to install a patched kernel:

NixOS:

For NixOS there is no zen kernel in nixpkgs, but it's very easy to add the patch to your configuration.nix like so:
Code:
boot.kernelPatches = [

{ name = "fsync-support"; patch = ./linux-v5.4-fsync.patch; }

];

where linux-v5.4-fsync.patch is taken from here. It took a while to compile the kernel and I had to limit the number of cores to use or it would lock up my system for some reason.

If anyone knows how to install an fsync-enabled kernel on Manjaro I'd love to know that too (my SO's distro). She tried to install the Arch package but she couldn't figure it out but I don't know the details.

If anyone knows how to install an fsync-enabled kernel on Manjaro I'd love to know that too (my SO's distro). She tried to install the Arch package but she couldn't figure it out but I don't know the details.

AFAIK you can use PKGBUILDs from AUR.

just clone the AUR repo, cd into it and run
Bash:
makepkg -si
this should install build dependencies, build the package and install the package.

you might need to replace upstream kernel soruce repo with Manjaro's unless Manjaro uses exactly same sources with Arch's default kernel

some useful links:

Last edited:
AFAIK you can use PKGBUILDs from AUR.

just clone the AUR repo, cd into it and run
Bash:
makepkg -si
this should install build dependencies, build the package and install the package.

you might need to replace upstream kernel soruce repo with Manjaro's unless Manjaro uses exactly same sources with Arch's default kernel

some useful links:

Thank you, I'll forward this to her!

Things I've done so far to run game on ArchLinux:

1-) install linux-fsync from AUR with this patch applied so I can use FUTEX_WAIT_MULTIPLE patch on linux 5.6.3

2-) install proton-ge-custom-bin from AUR (I am too lazy to wait until build from source finishes)

3-) cd into Bannerlord install direcotry in steam library and create symlinks for Bannerlord.exe and Bannerlord_BE.exe
Bash:
cd ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Mount\ \&\ Blade\ II\ Bannerlord/bin/Win64_Shipping_Client
ln -s Bannerlord.exe ManagedStarter.exe
ln -s Bannerlord_BE.exe ManagedStarter_BE.exe

4-) run game from steam as usual and let steam install its things.

So far it seems running OK. Only drawback that I observed is saving game takes a few seconds longer than the setup with dotnet48 and no fsync patch in kernel. But I am pretty happy bit a few seconds longer save time when I don't have frequent crashes.

CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8c 16t @ 3850MHz
RAM: 32111 Mb
Kernel Version: 5.6.3-arch1-1-fsync
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Driver Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.82
Number of Monitors: 2
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 3840 x 108
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

P.S. Game is behaving well with multiple monitors so far, but I didn't tried to play it on secondary monitor yet.
P.S.2. Also I don't know if it matters but, I am using e1.1.0 from beta branch of Bannerlord

update: experinced first freeze/crash after about 6 hours of continuous gameplay

Last edited:
I have abit of a problem, so im still on version 1.0.0 apparently im supposed to be. Anyway, my character voice in single player keeps switching to the voice 1 instead of using the voice i want. i reinstalled it and it just didnt do anything for me. Anyone know how to help me out?

Hello, long time Mount&Blade fan and linux user here with some exciting news that custom battles in Bannerlord work on linux through steam proton! Most of the rest of the game seems to still be borked, in ways such as, can't use the mouse in the menus for example, crashes during saving settings sometimes, campaign will not run after the character creator and the launcher doesn't run, heck you can't even run the game on settings lower then high without the game crashing but it feels so damn good to be riding and fighting in this beautiful game :smile:
Hopefully with some work all the kinks will be worked out and the campaign will be my next conquest, until then I'm a plains marauder to the end.

Screen shots below taken from my PC running Solus Linux

I4ZV1za.jpg
uVpFCh7.jpg
my game is crashing alot, have intel core i7- intel hd 4000, 8 giga rams, and had to lower audio scale- resolution screen and audio channels to low + very low settings and still crashes in single player mode but the rest feels smooth and your words gives hope to see that this game as tale world announced has the ability to work for all kinds of pc, which makes the game deserve every $/euro...... will look forward for how this master peace will progress!

While I do play Warband on my Laptop, the only thing strong enough to run Bannerlord here would be my Mac, anybody know if these tips would work for me? Kinda don't want to spend 50 euros on a game that would just sit in my steam library and laugh at me.
type in google ( can i run bannerlord or can my pc run bannerlord) should find a program that tests it, tho im sure the game might as well work if your willing to play it on low audio channel/ very low resolution kinda the 1120... or close to screen resolution with almost pixelated graphics and bot count to the lowest which is 200 on map

type in google ( can i run bannerlord or can my pc run bannerlord) should find a program that tests it, tho im sure the game might as well work if your willing to play it on low audio channel/ very low resolution kinda the 1120... or close to screen resolution with almost pixelated graphics and bot count to the lowest which is 200 on map
Thanks for the site; big oof tho
PFjJIbo.png

Back
Top Bottom