Bannerlord & Linux Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, long time Mount&Blade fan and linux user here with some exciting news that custom battles in Bannerlord work on linux through steam proton! Most of the rest of the game seems to still be borked, in ways such as, can't use the mouse in the menus for example, crashes during saving settings sometimes, campaign will not run after the character creator and the launcher doesn't run, heck you can't even run the game on settings lower then high without the game crashing but it feels so damn good to be riding and fighting in this beautiful game :smile:
Hopefully with some work all the kinks will be worked out and the campaign will be my next conquest, until then I'm a plains marauder to the end.

Screen shots below taken from my PC running Solus Linux

I4ZV1za.jpg
uVpFCh7.jpg

Find the launcher, which should be located here $HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Mount & Blade II Bannerlord/bin/Win64_Shipping_Client with the name TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe and rename it to TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe_backup

then rename Bannerlord.exe to TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe

if the game updates you'll have to redo this but it should launch

I can get the game to launch, but its just stuck waiting on brightness calibration. Can we have one sticky thread for linux issues so we can coordinate our efforts more easily, please?

We've been making significant progress on the GitHub issue page: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/3706

In particular, I'm able to get into the campaign tutorial after forcibly installing some Microsoft DLLs. Crashed later due to a system config issue (max file descriptors set too low by default on Slackware), but once I wrap a couple things up and reboot I'll be able to retest with more Proton-friendly settings.

Only likely for multiplayer. Not really a reason to have it enabled on campaign, but worse things have happened. As I understand we are able to start up basic single player things right now, so there is lots of hope.

While I do play Warband on my Laptop, the only thing strong enough to run Bannerlord here would be my Mac, anybody know if these tips would work for me? Kinda don't want to spend 50 euros on a game that would just sit in my steam library and laugh at me.

Habsburg: unless I'm mistaken, dxvk won't work fully on Mac OS (at least for now), and as a result the answer is, sadly: probably not. Installing Linux on your mac machine may work though ?

Current state of the world:
  • We have a prospective hack job of a Wine patch to mostly fix the mouse-related bugs (only remaining issue is that when mouse-rotating the map, like a NASCAR driver or a reverse Zoolander, you can only turn left); further refinement likely necessary before it's ready for upstream submission to Wine/Proton, but it's already a massive improvement (shoutout to GitHub users qsniyg and Soupstraw for said improvement)
  • We have a pair of patches already submitted to Wine to fix the crash after character creation when starting a new campaign (shoutout to GitHub user qsniyg for those patches)
There's still a multi-minute-long hang when saving, and it's still not clear what's causing that. Still, the game's at least somewhat playable on Linux+Proton, which is a lot better than I would've expected less than 48 hours into Harvesting Season™.

Just want to add my experience, after applying the patch from YellowApple in this GitHub thread, the game is now fully functioning, including mouse input and campaign! The first save will freeze up your game for a bit and possibly cause it to crash, but after that you should be able to load it and continue playing. Of course multiplayer is not functioning due to BattlEye, but I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly the talented people in the GitHub thread were able to fix the many issues! I encourage people to post here or on GitHub if they manage to get the game working, so we can find any additional issues and make sure the solution works.

Back
Top Bottom